0 (0%)
Climax
0 (0%)
Lux terna
0 (0%)
Vortex
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: No, Gaspar  (Read 2009 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
No, Gaspar
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
1. I Stand Alone
2. Irreversible
3. Enter the Void
4. Climax

5. Carne
6. Sodomites

7. Intoxication
8. Tintarella di luna
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:38:22 PM by MartinTeller »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: No, Gaspar - Director's Best
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »
Irreversible 5/5
Enter The Void 4/5
We CINECAST! Alone 4/5

I Stand Alone 1/5

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: No, Gaspar - Director's Best
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
I'm hesitant to watch Enter the Void. Mainly because I got anywhere from 10-30 minutes into Irreversible and I felt sick to my stomach.

American sex/violence I can handle. Other countries, not so much.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: No, Gaspar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »
1. Enter the Void (3)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 11:53:43 PM »
1. Enter the Void
2. Irreversible

3. Climax
4. Vortex
5. I Stand Alone

6. Carne
7. Lux terna
8. Love
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 01:52:22 AM by 1SO »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »

Climax (2018)

I remember with Irreversible, No talked about how he was able to get the movie financed on the two movie stars in the leading roles. Financing is always an issue with No because his movies don't make a lot of money, but he's technically very demanding, a true visionary with the camera. Climax is such a simple premise and loaded with static frames, that I wonder if No will ever find someone again to back his ambition. Here, instead of breaking new ground, he delivers exactly what you would expect if you're the least bit familiar with his work. There are some ideas to ponder, but also questions about why this story happened and why isn't there more to it than a reminder that No is still out there doing what he likes to do.

The film opens with the closing credits, something No has done before, and the opening credits appear about halfway into the film. (It serves as a break between the party and the hellish drug trip.) There's very little surprise to what happens if you know the premise. For example, there's a kid and if you know the director's work you know he's not coming out of this night without scars. The one achievement this film has over No's other work is the dancing. There's a breathtaking dance scene towards the beginning, and another, shot entirely from directly overhead, leading into the opening credits. The rest of the film is people talking about terrible things they want to do followed by them giving into their basic impulses.

As a fan of the director's work, this is all well and good, but watching the camera swirl and turn upside down as the lights are pulsing and people are doing all sorts of nasty things felt a little stale towards the end. The chaotic visuals that open Irreversible have a point, but the ones that end here reminded me of the way Michael Bay shoots action. (There's also one actor who simply doesn't know how to believably act like he's on drugs.) Meanwhile, I hunt for deeper meaning. (People who despise each other except when they come together to dance?) Even the reveal of who spiked the punch seems arbitrary at first, though I keep thinking about it so it's an interesting choice. When a talented filmmaker takes so much time between projects, you want to see less repetition.
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:11:47 PM by 1SO »

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Enter The Void, 80
Lux terna, 50
Climax, 45

I Stand Alone, 40

42 (42 One Dream Rush segment), 20
We CINECAST! Alone (Destricted segment), 20
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:23:28 PM by Knocked Out Loaded »
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:30:40 AM »
I went with Don't Like Any, which is the first time I think I have done that with a director. Admittedly it is based only on one of his films. Enter the Void was a great 15 min short overly padded out to a tedious, interminable 161 mins.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »
Enter the Void is an odyssey. You COULD tell that story very quickly, but it would be a completely different film. I get the restlessness if you can't settle into it's rhythm, and I wonder if it would've struck me that way if I'd watched it at home. There are plenty of long, slow films I resented. Luckily, that's not typical of No.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:03:27 AM »
I watched it at MIFF several years ago, so it was in a packed cinema, not at home. At home I may not have finished it.

love