0 (0%)
Climax
0 (0%)
Lux terna
0 (0%)
Vortex
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: No, Gaspar  (Read 2010 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: No, Gaspar
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 03:22:50 AM »
I feel that Enter The Void has transcendental qualities to it. Sorry it never worked for you.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
Spent last night with Gaspar No watching early shorts, which as usual barely hint at the filmmaker to come. Rewatched Carne, the true start point. Saw a handful of videos which looked like promotions for his films shot at locations from Irreversible and Climax, and an extended ad for Saint Laurent. Perhaps the most worth watching even though it largely consists of models wandering around large spaces lit in that boldly red Gaspar Noe way. I do find it interesting when filmmakers like David Lynch and Baz Luhrmann boil themselves down to the barest visual essence for these ads and wish more would do the same. Imagine Tarantino or Spielberg making one of these.

The most substantial viewing was 2019's Lux terna, which packs a lot into 51 minutes. Batrice Dalle and Charlotte Gainsbourg star as themselves preparing to shoot a scene where they're accused witches being burned at the stake. The first half is little more than two shots of them discussing difficulties working in a male-centric, casually toxic environment. Then we get to the shot, a dizzying chaos of people trying to focus on the work within a circus of celebrity culture and people of lower importance (stand-in, extra, costume assistant) all talking about how they're going to be big some day so they deserve better treatment. (This part is stunningly accurate.) By taking place behind the scenes, Noe demonstrates how good he is with visual wizardry. Of course, Noe pushes it to the extreme with a technical snafu that causes the most intense strobing effects I've ever seen in a film. It's little more than an experiment, but an interesting one.
RATING: ★ ★

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 01:55:43 AM »
Vortex (2021)
★ ★ ★ - Good
I remain all-in on anything No wants to show me. The subject matter is as far from his usual as when David Lynch made The Straight Story, and No rises to the challenge while pulling the film into his cave of despair. Stylistically, not as experimental as his usual, sticking to a few big decisions which help to create feelings of disorientation and loss.