love

Author Topic: Certified Copy  (Read 11657 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Certified Copy
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
We haven't talked about this film in a while.

I wrote some more stuff about it over at Movie Mezzanine.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
I don't know if they're married at any point. Why are there such HUGE holes in his memory? I certainly thought there was a hybrid period where she was the mistress.

Typical in any marriage, especially one which broke up, that a partner would be very selective in memory, some would not remember a number of things and another would remember things or attitudes that may not have happened. 

For me, I think that it is more likely that they were pretending to be a couple who just met at the beginning, rather than pretending to be an older (formerly) married couple in the second half.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2015, 05:52:59 AM »
If you love the film for the questions, how much does it matter to you whether they are married, oldkid?

Any time I got bogged down, or tired of their repetitive quarrelling, I tried to take a step back and ask the questions outside of the film's world. Consequently, I tried to keep my review reasonably impersonal so if the ideas appealed to someone they would watch it rather than be dissuaded by my nitpicking.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »
I don't know if they're married at any point. Why are there such HUGE holes in his memory? I certainly thought there was a hybrid period where she was the mistress.

Typical in any marriage, especially one which broke up, that a partner would be very selective in memory, some would not remember a number of things and another would remember things or attitudes that may not have happened. 

For me, I think that it is more likely that they were pretending to be a couple who just met at the beginning, rather than pretending to be an older (formerly) married couple in the second half.

I thought they were complete strangers who got themselves into a strange role play and somehow shifted into a state of existence between two dimensions : one where they don't know each other and another where they have been married for 15 years.

But I don't think the point of the movie is to provide an easy established answer. There is no truth here. chardy put it well.

To certify [the nature of a relationship], to confirm it formally as true or genuine, is lunacy.

Their relationship is like the works of art they debate. Its value is what we and they make of it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2015, 07:11:22 AM »

I thought they were complete strangers who got themselves into a strange role play and somehow shifted into a state of existence between two dimensions : one where they don't know each other and another where they have been married for 15 years.

But I don't think the point of the movie is to provide an easy established answer. There is no truth here. chardy put it well.

To certify [the nature of a relationship], to confirm it formally as true or genuine, is lunacy.

Their relationship is like the works of art they debate. Its value is what we and they make of it.

This is a strength of the film-any interpretation of their relationship can work just as good as any other interpretation. But it's still satisfying to try to come up with an answer, either for yourself or to engage in a friendly argument with someone else about it. Being certain in your answer is fine; trying to convince someone their's is wrong is where it starts to sound like lunacy.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
If you love the film for the questions, how much does it matter to you whether they are married, oldkid?

Any time I got bogged down, or tired of their repetitive quarrelling, I tried to take a step back and ask the questions outside of the film's world. Consequently, I tried to keep my review reasonably impersonal so if the ideas appealed to someone they would watch it rather than be dissuaded by my nitpicking.

It doesn't.  Just continuing the conversation, I guess.   Or at least, it does for me and how I understand the film, but it doesn't have to for you.  This is the art-- the meaning is different for each of us, as JS says.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love