Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries 2011: Comments & Discussion  (Read 11415 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries 2011: Comments & Discussion
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »
I'm saddest about Welfare, Eyes on the Prize, Children Underground, The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes, and Paris Is Burning.

pixote

Ditto on Paris is Burning. Also disappointed Emperor's Naked Army didn't make it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
Bondo (inadvertently[?]) pushed Night and Fog into the top position. He is nothing less than a towering genius.

I did like Night and Fog but I wasn't gaming it, I really just don't like Hoop Dreams. So boring. I also hate the sport of basketball. Of Martin's list I can only take credit for four:
The House Is Black
Crumb
Man With A Movie Camera
Hoop Dreams

pix, I'd watch the ones you were saddest about falling off the list to get them another vote, but based on the whole Children Underground experience I'm not sure it would help. More people should watch Children Underground to weaken the impact of my vote. I do plan on watching more Wiseman over the next year.

I'm most disconcerted by the tenuous position of Super Size Me and Dear Zachary in the top-100. These are top-5 docs for me and it would be pretty bitter to have them drop out. My other top docs (Bowling For Columbine, Harvey Milk, Fog of War) are solidly positioned and A Time For Burning will hopefully only move up as more people see it.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
Thanks for all the hard work, Bondo and pix. I wish I had been there for more of chat last night.

I'm gonna MDC the heck out of Welfare, Primary, Children Underground, and Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment to get them on next year. Considering how a lot of the films on the current list are probably the most seen docs, I have to assume exposure is the key!

Oh, and I'm glad Ted Baryluk's didn't make it. You philistines don't deserve him.

Lists!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »
Is there an easy way I could get a ranked list of the films? Just rank and title.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Is there an easy way I could get a ranked list of the films? Just rank and title.

Yeah, I'll post that tomorrow, in the first post of the countdown thread.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »

Yeah, I'll post that tomorrow, in the first post of the countdown thread.

pixote

Sweet thanks

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »
Just curious, how'd you break the tie between Nanook & Little Deiter? The score and average are identical.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
Just curious, how'd you break the tie between Nanook & Little Deiter? The score and average are identical.

Ties (there were a small handful of them) were broken based on the shortlist voting. Dieter scored 75 there, to Nanook's 51.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
Great List.

Biggest Surprise - How high up Planet Earth landed.

Biggest Disappointment - Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills only got to 49. Easily belongs among the Top 30.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
Done.

pixote