love

Poll

What's your favorite film by Guy Hamilton?

haven't seen any
1 (5.9%)
don't like any
1 (5.9%)
other
0 (0%)
An Inspector Calls
0 (0%)
The Colditz Story
1 (5.9%)
The Devil's Disciple
0 (0%)
A Touch of Larceny
0 (0%)
The Best of Enemies
0 (0%)
Man in the Middle (aka. The Winston Affair)
0 (0%)
Goldfinger
8 (47.1%)
Funeral in Berlin
1 (5.9%)
Battle of Britain
0 (0%)
Diamonds Are Forever
1 (5.9%)
Live and Let Die
1 (5.9%)
The Man with the Golden Gun
0 (0%)
Force 10 from Navarone
1 (5.9%)
The Mirror Crack'd
0 (0%)
Evil Under the Sun
1 (5.9%)
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Hamilton, Guy  (Read 2369 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Hamilton, Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
The Winston Affair (1963)
aka. Man in the Middle
★ ★ ★ – Okay
When an American soldier (Keenan Wynn) guns down a British sergeant, the military brings in a laid back Lt. Colonel (Robert Mitchum) to help go thru the motions of a defense. Mitchum is a strong believer in the rank making the rules, but he quickly senses something bigger at play in this highly absorbing mystery thriller. This put me in the mind of A Few Good Men (which is how it was recommended to me, along with Mitchum), but thankfully it doesn't go down the same path at all. There is a lot of good dialogue and Mitchum balances tough talk with smarts. After all the build-up, the finale is surprisingly simple, leaving me a bit unsatisfied after. Until then this was on its way to being a Discovery.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:00:05 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 11:01:24 PM »
Updated Ranking

The Ringer (1952)
★ ★ ½
My 3rd version of this story splits the difference between the 30s static adaptation of the play and the 60s German freewheeling hoot. Played straight, it’s an unavoidable theatrical experience with most cast wearing wigs, glasses, facial hair and age makeup to keep the audience guessing who’s The Ringer and who is simply an actor in makeup. This version captures the three-card monte of The Ringer being anyone or no one, but there are no people, only illusions.

The Colditz Story (1955)
★ ★ ★ - Good
Lighthearted POW escape film, established from the opening attempts that fail because multiple groups are attempting similar secret escapes. There’s very little character, with nearly all the focus on escape plans. (Ideas are the one thing they have an excess of.) It’s not jokey enough to qualify as a comedy, but it’s full of good cheer and entertainment.

Funeral in Berlin (1966)
★ ★ ★ – Okay
It’s fascinating that Hamilton followed Goldfinger with this working class-Bond and then went back to the Bond pool. Michael Caine plays British spy Harry Palmer and while he avoids paperwork and loves the ladies, similarities to Bond end there. He is simply better at the spy game – lying to others while figuring out why they’re lying to him – beating the bad guys mostly by looking like unassuming Michael Caine in Austin Powers glasses. The plots require maximum effort to follow, there isn’t a sidekick for Palmer to let us know what he’s figured out. It’s a dry martini, but a satisfying spycraft cocktail.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Live And Let Die, 40˚
Goldfinger, 30˚

Diamonds Are Forever, 20°
The Man With The Golden Gun, 15˚
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

love