love

Poll

What's your favorite by Denis Villeneuve?

haven't seen any
1 (3.8%)
don't like any
1 (3.8%)
other
0 (0%)
August 32nd on Earth
0 (0%)
Maelström
0 (0%)
Polytechnique
1 (3.8%)
Incendies
2 (7.7%)
Prisoners
0 (0%)
Enemy
2 (7.7%)
Sicario
4 (15.4%)
Arrival
11 (42.3%)
Blade Runner 2049
4 (15.4%)
Dune
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Villeneuve, Denis  (Read 9763 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Denis Villeneuve - Director's Best
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
So the relevant question (not contradicted by the posted lists) is, does anyone who has seen Polytechnique not think that Polytechnique is his best film?

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Sitting on my Watchlist. I will say that Villeneuve is one of those filmmakers where I'm not enthusiastic about the end result, but I do like the filmmaking style and the performances. The problem is either in the script or the way Villeneuve leans on the scripts weaknesses while telling the story.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 10:32:44 PM »
1. Prisoners
2. Enemy
3. Incendies
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Villeneuve, Denis
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 10:00:35 AM »
Denis Villeneuve has a New Poll. Please vote.

Old Poll Results:

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
Of all the polls I've worked on so far, Polytechnique jumps out most as one I want to see.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »
This is easy, I have only seen Incendies. Is this a director I should look into ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »
I thought Enemy was very interesting but Gyllenhall is on a roll now so it's performance more than direction.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
Part of that Gyllenhall roll includes Prisoners, but that's a thoroughly mixed film. Half thought-provoking, half ludicrous.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
There should be an adjective for movies that are only saved by the actor's performances.
« Actorist », « thespianised »...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
So the relevant question is, does anyone who has seen Polytechnique not think that Polytechnique is his best film?

Polytechnique (2009)
* * 1/2
I understand Villeneuve less and less with each film. This is my 4th and I'm now doubting the quality of Incendies. I went in blind, expecting from the title something sci-fi. Instead, it's a school shooting film - the most depressing sub-genre? - based on a real event at Montréal's École Polytechnique. The interesting angle is the killer's hatred towards feminists, but Villeneuve only gives that about a minute of time, focusing instead on how an event like this is something you can never recover from.

Villeneuve jumps around in time, gets artsy with the camera and films the killings in a way that creates kinetic excitement, which is not the best choice considering what's happening. Or maybe the uneasy tension it creates with the material is right on. Maybe Villeneuve wants you to have a questionable reaction to the murders. It's the same problem that bothered a lot of people with Prisoners, though the formal minimalism makes this more of a match with Enemy.

Overall, I don't have a good grasp of what Villeneuve is going for. He seems to be trying to avoid the Elephant in the room, but I have to think he's going for more than "the body recovers, but the mind never heals." I don't mind a film that leaves me with questions, but I'm bothered that the filmmaker who put them there doesn't have any answers.