Author Topic: 1SO vs. The Directors of Shame  (Read 70230 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SO vs. The Directors of Shame
« Reply #420 on: January 05, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
I'm not sure that there is anything much to comment on here. Obviously Wiseman is still doing his same style but it is less common generally and I agree that his film shouldn't be considered neutral to much more of a degree than others, more of which in my blog column tomorrow.

At the end of the day though it does seem to come down to whether you find these moments fascinating. I did. Some of this may be outliers, but that they exist at all (or especially when the cameras are running) still says a lot. One scene that stood out was a girls class where the teacher was practically bullying one of the girls, passive-aggressively, for being larger than the other girls. You get a lot of people who mock the self-esteem agenda in current schools for causing kids these days to feel entitled or some such nonsense, but this is kind of the alternative, where grades and ranks are publicly announced and those who are different/worse can be publicly shamed not only by fellow student but by the institution as well. It was enlightening for me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. The Directors of Shame: Terry Zwigoff - Crumb
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
Marathon Update

Crumb

Terry Zwigoff is not a typical Director of Shame. He's made 5 features. I'd seen 3 of them, but I didn't like the others. (Ghost World came closest.) This is considered by many to be his best film, and it is. It's a good film, a portrait of a unique artist and the outside forces that drive his work. The best bits are when he watches people and immediately draws them, filling the frame with his personal demons and insecurities. Crumb also makes an excellent defense for the sexism and racism in his work, spinning it back onto the people who find it offensive.

I really liked Crumb doing an almost apologetic commentary as he takes you through some of his creations. What wasn't as compelling was Crumb's family. Yes, they certainly provided context and set up the environment that created Crumb (and an entire family of artists), but Zwigoff is only using them for context. He isn't out to analyze the Crumb family, and so I got the point with them fairly quickly. The more time spent, the more it felt like Zwigoff was gawking at their odd behavior like characters at a carnival freak show.
RATING: * * *

That's the last film on my list.
Awards? I guess in a bit.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #422 on: April 01, 2018, 05:29:09 AM »
There's like two of these I have seen but I feel no shame.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #423 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
The Shame wasn't about the movies. It was about forum members who thought a Director was worth taking the time to create a thread and I hadn't sampled what raised their passion.

love