love

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 9865 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Tennis
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
Ha, is it Boris? I read somewhere that someone is actually paying him to talk.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Ha, is it Boris? I read somewhere that someone is actually paying him to talk.

Yep, its Boris, but he's not as bad as the English comms, Andrew Castle and Tim Henman. At least Boris has won Wimbledon and can speak with some authority on what it takes to win (not like our two losers). Becker's quite the celebrity in the UK, he's always popping up on some show or another.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Interesting women's final. Good on Stosur.

I have to say, I've never been a big fan of the Williams sisters and Serena in particular is a poor sport or has a bad attitude. We saw it two years ago when she went off at the line judge who called the foot fault that eventually got her booted (and took the attention away from the fact that Kim Cljisters had thoroughly dismantled her). This time she was being really nasty to the chair umpire over a reasonable if not essential call. Boo to her.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
So cool! 
Texan Down Under

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »

I have to say, I've never been a big fan of the Williams sisters and Serena in particular is a poor sport or has a bad attitude. We saw it two years ago when she went off at the line judge who called the foot fault that eventually got her booted (and took the attention away from the fact that Kim Cljisters had thoroughly dismantled her). This time she was being really nasty to the chair umpire over a reasonable if not essential call. Boo to her.

I'm ambivalent towards Serena. She's a wonderful player and it mightily impressive to see someone play with that sort of power. On the other hand, you're correct about her attitude. She hasn't come across as the best sportswoman in the past. Tennis, like any other sport, is highly competitive and it's natural for emotions to run high, but there are still attitudinal details that look worse than others and she has a little history of showing some.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Serena's beef with the ump made it onto Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGFBP22EMM&feature=player_embedded
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
Who's Federer?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

I'm ambivalent towards Serena. She's a wonderful player and it mightily impressive to see someone play with that sort of power. On the other hand, you're correct about her attitude. She hasn't come across as the best sportswoman in the past. Tennis, like any other sport, is highly competitive and it's natural for emotions to run high, but there are still attitudinal details that look worse than others and she has a little history of showing some.

I think it's good for women's tennis to have Serena in the game.  She really pushes the top players to new heights or demolishes them (e.g., Wozniacki) to prove they have a long way to go.  When it was down to 16, I had a feeling that Stosur was the only one who could really hit with Serena. However, I could never have predicted the lopsided final.

With the tirade against the umpire, it just makes Serena look like a sore loser, which is a common trend throughout her career.  She'll lose an epic battle played a high level, and afterwards she'll just talk about how bad she played.  The sad part of it is that she's not as self-centered as she was in the past. 

I play tennis and understand that you have to be confident and not show weakness to your opponents, but she takes it to another level, and it ends up cheapening her accomplishments a bit. I do hope that she keeps playing the majors, though, as her presence can really shake up a Grand Slam.  The seed doesn't matter; if she's in the draw, no one will be feared more.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
someone needs to get Andy Murray a pair of spikes.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
MURRAAAAAAY!!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy