Author Topic: Meek's Cutoff  (Read 31411 times)

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
Meek's Cutoff
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
Saw MEEK'S CUTOFF last night in a free preview screening for members of the Asheville Film Society.  The only other Reichardt I've seen is WENDY AND LUCY, which I thoroughly enjoyed, as I did this one.  As mentioned on the show, the life-or-death stakes bring intrigue and suspense to each decision and practically every scene.  The characters' uncertainty as to what's over the next hill and the location of a much-needed water source quickly becomes our uncertainty; their growing desperation, too.  I loved the lack of exposition (even less than in WENDY AND LUCY).  The "manifest destiny" motivation is so well-ingrained that we don't need to know the specifics of this journey.

Reichardt does an excellent job presenting the perspective of the women, keeping the camera and sound with them as the party's men step away to make decisions.  These techniques were so effective that numerous fellow moviegoers shouted at our Artistic Director to increase the volume.  The audience also didn't respond well to the unresolved ending, but I found it far less abrupt (though equally effective) compared to something like A SERIOUS MAN.  The shot was so long and inserted at such a point that if the film didn't end it would have felt inauthentic.

What did everyone think of Bruce Greenwood's accent?  I can't decide if it's cajun, Kentucky, or something in between.  Whatever it is, it's cartoonish, bombastic, and fun in the manner of Daniel Plainview and fit the tall tale Meek well.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Meek's Cutoff
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
I thought it was starkly beautiful.  Reichardt does a great job of showing the vastness of the landscape.   I thought the abruptness of the ending and the lack of resolution fit in with the theme to the movie, but there was a part of me that wanted some kind of resolution, some hint as to what was going to become of these characters.  I think that is a testament to the strength of the film, but it did leave me wanting more.  I did enjoy the film, but I did almost fall asleep at one point in the beginning, just briefly, I blame the long week at work. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
I thought it resolved perfectly what the film is actually about.  It's not the end of their journey, but their decision to follow the Indian.  The plot is about their conflict over whether or not to trust him.  When Meek finally gives in, the plot is over and so is the movie.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
I thought it resolved perfectly what the film is actually about.  It's not the end of their journey, but their decision to follow the Indian.  The plot is about their conflict over whether or not to trust him.  When Meek finally gives in, the plot is over and so is the movie.

That's a really great explanation.  I guess I wanted to see what happened when they did, I think there was a part of me that was still not sure if I could trust him, I could see them going over the hill and see a rushing river or go over the hill and see a whole group of indians.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
This way too, there's room for a sequel.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Totoro

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
Yeah, I wanted a little bit more of a gratifying ending. I've told this opinion to too many people: I feel like the end of the film here is the end to the second act and therefore, I felt the film was somewhat incomplete. This film was so harsh and bleak that I felt like there should have been some glimpse into a possibly better situation than just a tree. I don't feel like the tree was a strong enough reason to have hope that they would finish their journey. And I guess that may be a little childish or my inner Ron Howard fan speaking, sdedalus?  ::)

I can see the argument that this film is ultimately about Meek, but if it was, then I don't think they developed him as well as they could have.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
This film was so harsh and bleak that I felt like there should have been some glimpse into a possibly better situation than just a tree.
As Emily notes, the sign of a tree - of any vegetation at all - is a sign that water must be nearby. I sense an optimism in the film's ending, given the overall humanism the makers invoke against the harshness of their plight.

Excellent film; its slow dissolves early on had me hooked from the off. One of my favourites of 2011, pipped only by Joanna Hogg's Archipelago.

My full thoughts were posted here.

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
When Meek finally gives in, the plot is over and so is the movie.

True.  By ending here, the film stays true to its title.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
The film isn't about Meek, it's about the argument between Meek and the settlers over the Indian.  We don't see the end of their journey for the same reason we don't see the beginning: it isn't relevant to the story.

The film isn't about settlers lost in the desert.  It's about the struggle to put faith and trust in your fellow human beings.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
History tells us they make it. Unless of course Reichardt is pulling a revisionist history. Anyway. This is one of those films that upon further reflection just sits better and better with me. In terms of the movie watching experience, I too almost fell asleep, though I too was tired, but yea, I think it was fairly boring at points, but manages to be a very thought provoking film.

Did anyone else notice the weird aspect ratio? 1.33:1? That was like the first thing I noticed about it, but I liked how they used it. The cinematography was great, although I did feel it was too dark in some of the night scenes.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love