2 (14.3%)
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
0 (0%)
The King's Man
0 (0%)
Argylle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Vaughn, Matthew  (Read 4825 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Vaughn, Matthew
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »
Kingsman : Secret Service
X-Men : First Class
Kickass

Without wanting to go into much detail, 1SO I completely disagree with you. I loved the church scene, if only for the sheer style of it and the great choreography.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:28:06 AM by DarkeningHumour »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »
On a level of style and fight choreography, the church scene is a marvel. But what are we watching here? A character I like dishing out a punishment I despise that an audience is meant to cheer on because the victims are painted in broad strokes as deserving of such brutality?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »
On a level of style and fight choreography, the church scene is a marvel. But what are we watching here? A character I like dishing out a punishment I despise that an audience is meant to cheer on because the victims are painted in broad strokes as deserving of such brutality?

We can suspend moral judgment for the duration of the fight I think, particularly considering that I think we have grounds to assume something is wrong with Lancelot ; he would not normally assail civilians this way. The rationale for the fighting is then explained right after the it has ended. If your qualms reside more in how we see "innocents" being butchered, is that much worse than knowing millions are dying offscreen, be it in this or in some other movie ?

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »
There's our difference in experiencing the scene. At the time, I thought he was having a more extreme version of his workout, like he had earlier with the laddies in the bar. I didn't assume that something was wrong but that Lancelot saw the deep-seeded hate within the group and decided they deserved such a harsh punishment. I turned off during the scene, so when the explanation came after, it didn't retro make the scene okay. Had I known towards the beginning of the massacre what was really going on, it certainly would've helped. Instead, I'm looking at the gleefully executed carnage questioning if and why I'm supposed to find it entertaining. Put that exact same scene inside Jackson's lair and make it against his henchmen, it's a totally different experience.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
I would understand if he had just shot a couple of southerners, but did you really think he would casually massacre an entire congregation ? Also, that wouldn't explain why everyone started fighting against everyone and not just him.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
What is the point of the scene? Why devote so much time to what is one point made after the lengthy fight scene? Vaughn doesn't just get to the point, he revels in the stylish destruction. To what end? To show how cool he can make a no-holds-barred fight scene? Oldboy has a show-off one-shot hallway fight, but there's a point to the struggle. Matrix: Reloaded has the Chateau battle, which adds little to the overall story - he could've just flown off to the freeway - but within that fight there is good vs. evil. People who are in the way of Neo completing his heroic duty. The church scene in Kingsmen has nothing like that. It's just a room of people getting ripped apart. The reason for it is made after the fact, which makes the scene far too long for what it is set up to do.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »
I think you're overthinking a straightforward entertainment piece.

Can't we just make awesome scenes for awesomeness' sake ?

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »
We can. I'm a fan of Timur Bekmambetov, who exploded mice in Wanted before having a character running with a gun through a hole in a corpses head (for shielding). A director who flung horses - by the leg - at people in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. There was awesome joy in those moments. This was not that.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
I didn't get the sense, in watching Kingsman, that he was specifically targeting religion in general.  In the West, there is a sense of the hypocrisy of many kinds of religion, especially power-hungry, greedy religion, and the glee in the scene might be a reflection of that sense, but it still seemed like a generally cool visual.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 11:50:52 AM »
1. X-Men: First Class (3)
2. Kingman: The Secret Service (3)
3. Kick-Ass (3)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."