Poll

What's your favorite film by Luc Besson?

haven't seen any
1 (2.9%)
don't like any
1 (2.9%)
L'avant dernier
0 (0%)
Le dernier combat
0 (0%)
Subway
0 (0%)
The Big Blue
1 (2.9%)
La Femme Nikita
0 (0%)
Atlantis
0 (0%)
Leon: The Professional
20 (57.1%)
The Fifth Element
11 (31.4%)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
0 (0%)
Angel-A
0 (0%)
Arthur and the Invisibles
0 (0%)
Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard
0 (0%)
Adèle and the Secret of the Mummy
0 (0%)
Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds
0 (0%)
The Lady
0 (0%)
The Family
0 (0%)
Lucy
1 (2.9%)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Besson, Luc  (Read 1687 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Besson, Luc - Director's Best
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »
Lucy
* 1/2

Those of you who had problems with the "10% of our brain" thing, that's only the tip of the script's fairytale philosophy.

(...)

Unfortunately, even these bizarre pleasures are fleeting. The finale is wholly unsatisfying. Besson takes his idea too far, going from a nonsensical drug trip to an abrupt ending instead of having any payoff for the story or the characters.

My thoughts exactly.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Besson, Luc
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
1. The Fifth Element (2.5)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
* * * - Good

I have a soft spot for The 5th Element and I expected this to be another example of how low Luc Besson has creatively fallen in recent years, but instead it shows his imagination overflowing once again. Crazy creature designs, bold art direction and outlandish costumes that are right in line with Element. (In other words, I'm recommending it to people who like that film first and probably only.)

The first 45 minutes also re-captures that entertaining sense of adventure and wonder. Sure, this was largely created on a digital stage, but the effects aren't nearly as bad as they looked in the trailer because Besson's artistic flourishes compensate. So much of the first act goes by in a rush, demonstrated by the clever opening scene showing a montage of diplomatic meetings between the evolving human race and increasingly alien species. There are a number of scenes where rooms and new creatures are only used as window dressing but seem worthy of their own film.

Setting the film in such strange lands I think was the seed for Dane DaHaan's performance. He's not a conventional action hero and at first seems terribly miscast, but I soon caught on that he was playing at what an action hero would be hundreds of years in the future, something as nerdy and insecure as he is heroic and rugged. I'm sure this comes off as a defense, but I think DaHaan's a pretty great actor and I think he fits Besson's vision better than most.

Cara Delevingne is a trickier issue, more a movie star than an actor and not somebody who's going to get much direction from Besson. I worried after the opening when she spends the next assignment reading maps while DaHaan does all the action stuff, but then he disappears for awhile and the film becomes about her. Still, it would've been better to keep them together, pulling each other out of scrapes.

The first 45 minutes is the best and there are plenty of lines that grate like some of the dialogue in Avatar. Firing on an enemy ship, DaHaan says, "I don't know where you came from, but I know where I want to send you." There are some annoying creatures too and I don't think all the actors took the film as seriously as they should have. (Looks to Clive Owen suspiciously.) Much will be written about how much this film cost and what a waste of money it was because it died at the box office. I wish more movie money would be spent on particular visions like this rather than star saleries, explosions and soulless effects.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:15:38 AM by 1SO »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
I watched The Fifth Element just last week because I got it on a 4k blu on Black Friday. It's still a super fun movie and really well paced. I liked Lucy a good deal as well, so I'll definitely give this one a watch now that it's available to rent given your first paragraph there and our general copaseticness.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
I think De Haan and Delevingne are both good individually... it's when the script asks us to be invested in them as a couple that their performances falter: there's no chemistry there.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Fifth Element 4k Bluray does sound worth watching. If I ever revisit it that's how I'll have to do it.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
It looked really good. The HDR really made the colors pop, and since it was shot on film it benefits a good deal from the resolution bump. FFC's Dracula is similarly impressive, especially with its reds and shadows.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • All temperatures are in centigrades.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
Léon: The Professional, 40˚
I might remember it all differently tomorrow.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Leon
The Fifth Element
Lucy

Surprised I haven't seen more by him. Valerian looks like it might be fun.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."