love

Author Topic: Top 5 Filmmakers/Stars Who Are DEAD To Me  (Read 5872 times)

MotherFraker

Top 5 Filmmakers/Stars Who Are DEAD To Me
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »

This one is a ranter, but I think has some clean-out-the-Hollywood-stables merit. One thing I really appreciate about Filmspotting is the viewer-centered tone it takes. The good and bad reasons to love/hate a film, the weird reasoning we sometimes use to justify our loves, and the general fun it is to strip the hype from the films.

But sometimes Sam and Adam and most on this board are just too damn polite. Usually, that's a virtue. There are enough flame thrower testing ranges on boards across the net. And as a former critic, I understand the impluse: you don't want to just be negetive about film when so much good can be done simply by pointing out good films and praising them.

That said, DAMN IT man, there are some working in the industry who need to be banished. Truly foul practitioners of the art whose work is inflicted on the audience rather than unvieled. They need to be judged, found guilty, and thrown on that buring pyre that destroyed all the movies of the 1980s.

The rules here are you can't just take a whack at tiny, awful creators. The modern Ed Woods aren't fair game. People who have big careers, or have studios constantly telling us we should care are the offenders here. Essentially, people who can take their lumps.

Here's my list, and maybe this is just rant therapy. If so, I apologize.

1. Rob Schneider (THE ANIMAL, DUCE BIGALOW, HOT CHICK) He's like the anti-Tom Hanks. Everything he chooses is cancer on a filmgoers time. I cannot express the resevoir of hatred I have for this man.

2. Brian DePalma (SCAREFACE, BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES, MISSION TO MARS, THE UNTOUCHABLES). This man is not a filmmaker. He's a thief crawling over the estate of Hitchcock. Yes, he did some passable films, but on reflection his highs weren't that high, and his truckload of trainwrecks (mixed metaphores anyone?) is amazing.

3. Richard Gere (AN OFFICER AND A GENTELMAN, RED CORNER, PRETTY WOMAN). The Paul Walker of the 1970s and 1980s. How anyone can bag on Keanu Reeves while Gere goes relatively unscathed is unfair. The man can pose, but he cannot act.

4. Sandra Bullock (CRASH, HOPE FLOATS, MISS CONGENIALITY). I've waited long enough. She's mediocre, and that's all she'll ever be.

5. Michael Bay (ARMAGEDDON, THE ISLAND, BAD BOYS) Must I state the obvious. This might need to be the Michael Bay Memorial List (We can hope).

That's enough. I may revise as past offenders emerge from my repressed memories.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:55:01 AM »
I can agree with most on the list... but since bad boys II is on my list of guilty pleasures (I can't rationalize it... except to say cadavers on the freeway) I have to admit to giving michael bay my money. Of course I refuse to see most of his other movies so....

I would prefer to not see wesley snipes or ben affleck in acting rolls.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:32:59 AM »
Brett Ratner makes Michael Bay look like Orson Welles.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:13:55 AM »
I agree on Ratner front.  I really like the Rock and Armeggedon is the ultimate guilty pleasure, for me.

Ratner makes the fatal mistake of time and again making abismally bland movies.  Even when backed by the biggest stars his films are forgettable and boring (See Red Dragon, X-Men 3)
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:36:52 AM »
Winona Ryder
My nickname for her is "the talent vacuum." She actually sucks talent AWAY from other actors that she shares scenes with. See Gena Rowlands in Night on Earth, for example, or Al Pacino in Looking for Richard. (I should note that the latter was entirely his own fault, and listening to the lead-up bit where he describes the actress he's looking for, I was terrified that it might be her he was talking about.) I know that maybe it's become a bit passé to say that you don't like Winona Ryder, but I've hated her since the first time I saw her (in the movie 1969), and every time I've seen her since it's become more amplified. I have to actually skip the entire first part of Night on Earth thanks to her. Horrible, horrible actress.

Brendan Fraser
Why does this guy ever get roles that call for an actual actor, and not just a pretty face? He's completely unable to live up to them, every time. Not that I think he has a pretty face, either, mind you. I think he's one of the ugliest beings to set foot on the planet. But being a hetero guy, I'm willing to cede that point.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »
Quote from: "spoko"
Winona Ryder

But she is BEAUTIFUL  :cry:

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:26:41 PM »
Christian Slater- after True Romance, there has been nothing worth seeing from my limited point of view. If I'm wrong, please educate me.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
Hmm, you're right.  He hasn't done anything good since True Romance and is now seen in a crap filled called... you guessed it.  Bobby

Here's a couple of directors/stars that are dead to me.

John Travolta--Had a good thing going in the 70s, came back in the 90s w/ Pulp Fiction then ruined it all with goddamn Battlefield Earth and his allegiance to Scientology.  Everything he's done since has been horrible.  

George Lucas.  I was watching the Star Wars marathon and after watching the new version of Return of the Jedi, what he did was unforgivable.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:49:35 PM »
Quote from: "thevoid99"
John Travolta--Had a good thing going in the 70s, came back in the 90s w/ Pulp Fiction then ruined it all with goddamn Battlefield Earth and his allegiance to Scientology.  Everything he's done since has been horrible.

What about Basic? I kinda liked that, but that may just be my Sam Jackson bias. :lol:
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »
Quote from: "sam_mf_jackson"
Quote from: "thevoid99"

What about Basic? I kinda liked that, but that may just be my Sam Jackson bias. :lol:

That sucked, the ending ruined the entire movie.  Samuel L. Jackson was OK but everything else was awful.

Travolta is already dead.  He's doing some goddamn biker comedy w/ Tim Allen, Ray Liotta, Martin Lawrence, and William H. Macy and he's also doing the musical film version of Hairspray.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

love