Poll

What's your favorite film by Martin Brest?

haven't seen any
1 (4.8%)
don't like any
1 (4.8%)
Going in Style
0 (0%)
Beverly Hills Cop
3 (14.3%)
Midnight Run
8 (38.1%)
Scent of a Woman
4 (19%)
Meet Joe Black
3 (14.3%)
Gigli
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Brest, Martin  (Read 3079 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Brest, Martin
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2022, 09:55:25 PM »
Have you seen the Zach Braff remake with Michael Caine, Alan Akrin, Ann Margaret, and Morgan Freeman? (I haven't. Just curious.)
I haven't and I'm curious, but the tone here is so precisely bittersweet it would be like remaking an Elaine May film, any changes would point up the precise balance of what the director is doing. I read the IMDB one-line and it's all wrong.

Desperate to pay the bills and come through for their loved ones, three lifelong pals risk it all by embarking on a daring bid to knock off the very bank that absconded with their money.

The whole point is they do it out of boredom. Their financial backs are never against the wall, they not thinking about leaving any to their loved ones and they choose the bank by walking into a bank and saying "why not". They're not concerned if they get away with a hundred or a hundred thousand. When they count it all up there's barely a shrug over how it might improve their situation. The robbery was the point, never the money, and in the context of Brest's film it would be too much to make more out of it than that.

love