Poll

What's your favorite film by Delmer Daves?

haven't seen any
4 (23.5%)
don't like any
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)
Destination Tokyo
0 (0%)
The Very Thought of You
0 (0%)
Hollywood Canteen
0 (0%)
Pride of the Marines
0 (0%)
The Red House
3 (17.6%)
Dark Passage
1 (5.9%)
Task Force
0 (0%)
Broken Arrow
2 (11.8%)
Bird of Paradise
0 (0%)
Never Let Me Go
1 (5.9%)
Demetrius and the Gladiators
0 (0%)
Drum Beat
0 (0%)
Jubal
0 (0%)
The Last Wagon
0 (0%)
3:10 to Yuma
4 (23.5%)
Cowboy
0 (0%)
Kings Go Forth
0 (0%)
The Badlanders
0 (0%)
The Hanging Tree
1 (5.9%)
A Summer Place
1 (5.9%)
Parrish
0 (0%)
Susan Slade
0 (0%)
Rome Adventure
0 (0%)
Spencer's Mountain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Daves, Delmer  (Read 4951 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Daves, Delmer - Director's Best
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »

The Hanging Tree (1959)
"Never believe a word he says and never let him get behind you in the dark."

I prefer my Westerns more on the fun or mythic side. This is not one of those, and while I have no desire to ever rewatch The Hanging Tree, it's an interesting and sometimes very good drama set in the west, which the screenplay sees as a place where law and basic human morality have yet to settle. Gary Cooper stars, as a mysterious, taciturn, dangerous stranger in town who sets himself up as the local doctor. This puts him in direct conflict with George C. Scott as an alcoholic faith healer. Scott, however, is just one small bag of gasoline threatening to engulf the town in flames. The fuse belongs to a simple-minded prospector, played by a miscast Karl Malden. The dynamite comes in the form of Maria Schell, playing a stagecoach hold-up victim, badly injured and fried by the sun.

Cooper goes about doing his decent man thing, but films are moving away from decent men and into the terrain of the evil that men do. He faces increased opposition from the men, who think he's keeping the young woman prisoner all to himself, and the women, who think much the same thing. There's an ugly tension to the whole situation, which breaks loose in the climactic scenes. Morality almost completely gives way and Cooper finds himself fighting the rapidly rising tide. It gets pretty ugly, and Malden is mostly repugnant throughout. Upon discovering the nearly dead Schell he remarks, "She ain't much left from the neck up, but she is all woman from there down." Ick.
Rating: * * *

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
Wanted to get a recommendation for further Daves films but so few have seen so little (and that red Dark Passage implies too great a disparity in opinions to help me). So I bought Jubal on the strength of such a fine cast Ford, Borgnine, Steiger, Bronson, Elam. Looks like Antares would agree.

I got Jubal today as well. Guess I'll let you know, unless you already watched it.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:04:31 AM »

Jubal (1956)

That screenshot doesn't match my review, but it's the best shot in the film and I wanted to share it.

This is the 3rd film I've seen in two days where an unappealing man tries to force a woman into loving him by using blackmail, frame-ups and murder. The 2nd from Daves, and I couldn't tell you if this would beat The Hanging Tree in a general Deathmatch. (Antares, I wanted you to watch Hanging Tree before, but knowing your reaction to this, I'm now dying for a 2nd opinion.) As for me, the lower grade could be timing. Two of these western-set dramas in a day is kind of wearing. I also blame Rod Steiger, whose performance is pretty horrible. I'm usually not a fan of Steiger, who likes to act instead of react. He has a body and voice that's naturally hammy, so giving him an outsized part is asking for trouble.
Rating: * *

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
1. A Summer Place (1959)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
I always feel a little bad when I've only seen one film as it would be the best by default, but in this case 3:10 to Yuma really was great. :)

My sentiments as well.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
Noticed someone's favourite was Broken Arrow. I'm gonna watch soon. Sounds like an entirely more sympathetic take on relations with the Apache for 1950. Interested.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »
Noticed someone's favourite was Broken Arrow. I'm gonna watch soon. Sounds like an entirely more sympathetic take on relations with the Apache for 1950. Interested.

That was my favourite

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:35 AM »
Yeah sorry Dave I should have read the thread more closely. I liked Broken Arrow a lot. The sympathy for Apache culture is really impressive. It feels unusual for the time. If Daves hadn't made so many other impressive films I could easily have this as my favourite;

1. The Red House
2. Dark Passage
3. Jubal
4. Broken Arrow
5. 3:10 To Yuma

A good list.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
1. The Red House
2. Dark Passage
3. Jubal
4. Broken Arrow
5. 3:10 To Yuma

A good list.

Since Broken Arrow and 3:10 to Yuma are two of my favorite westerns of all time, I should watch the rest of these.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Daves, Delmer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
The top two are noir. Opinion is divided over Dark Passage (not a proctology documentary) but I think Red House is backed solidly around here.

love