love

Poll

What's your favorite film by Delmer Daves?

haven't seen any
4 (23.5%)
don't like any
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)
Destination Tokyo
0 (0%)
The Very Thought of You
0 (0%)
Hollywood Canteen
0 (0%)
Pride of the Marines
0 (0%)
The Red House
3 (17.6%)
Dark Passage
1 (5.9%)
Task Force
0 (0%)
Broken Arrow
2 (11.8%)
Bird of Paradise
0 (0%)
Never Let Me Go
1 (5.9%)
Demetrius and the Gladiators
0 (0%)
Drum Beat
0 (0%)
Jubal
0 (0%)
The Last Wagon
0 (0%)
3:10 to Yuma
4 (23.5%)
Cowboy
0 (0%)
Kings Go Forth
0 (0%)
The Badlanders
0 (0%)
The Hanging Tree
1 (5.9%)
A Summer Place
1 (5.9%)
Parrish
0 (0%)
Susan Slade
0 (0%)
Rome Adventure
0 (0%)
Spencer's Mountain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Daves, Delmer  (Read 4953 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Daves, Delmer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
Dark Passage (not a proctology documentary)

Oh, well, forget it, then.  ;)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »

A Kiss in the Dark (1949)

Despite the Noir title, this is a rom-com with a bizarre cast. Headliners are David Niven and Jane Wyman. Niven is doing some pale cross between Leslie Howard and Cary Grant, but Wyman is a queen in this genre and she makes the film watchable even though most of the comedy is terrible. The kind of punchlines where you know exactly what's going to happen and exactly when it's going to happen, followed by an obnoxious blast of the score in case you need the jokes pointed out to you. (This is Delmer Davis' only pure comedy, which is great for me because it means I won't accidentally run into another one.)

Rounding out the cast is Victor Moore (top left, Swing Time, Make Way For Tomorrow), turning lemons into lemonade, especially in a scene where he says goodbye to his roomful of taxidermied animals. Then there's Broderick Crawford as a bossy neighbor who sleeps during the day. It's rare to see someone so over-the-top while phoning it in.
Rating: ★ ★

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 01:05:03 AM »
Updated Rankings

The Very Thought of You (1944)
Pride of the Marines (1945)
Drum Beat (1954)
A Summer Place (1959)
For how deep my knowledge goes with old Hollywood movie stars and character actors, Delmer Daves excels at working with the personalities that don't stick to my subconscious. I marathoned 4 features and I can count all the memorable stars on one hand. In order: John Garfield, Alan Ladd, Dennis Morgan, Arthur Kennedy, Charles Bronson. Add in character actors Elisha Cook Jr. and Beulah Bondi and I'm done. That leaves Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark, Faye Emerson, John Ridgely, Richard Egan, Dorothy McGuire, Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue. All familiar names, but I still can't place them. Ann Doran appears twice and apparently I've seen her in over 50 films but she's never made an impression. If half of good directing is casting well, it could be Daves' fatal flaw.

Not that he directs with any sense of urgency or even engagement. All four films are lifeless, except for the score and sex keeping Summer Place awake. That's also one that borrows Douglas Sirk's bold color choices, and still it's sadly unengaging.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »
Dark Passage, 35
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)