Poll

What's your favorite film by Mark Robson?

haven't seen any
4 (33.3%)
don't like any
1 (8.3%)
The Seventh Victim
5 (41.7%)
The Ghost Ship
0 (0%)
Youth Runs Wild
0 (0%)
Isle of the Dead
0 (0%)
Bedlam
0 (0%)
Champion
0 (0%)
Roughshod
0 (0%)
Home of the Brave
0 (0%)
My Foolish Heart
0 (0%)
Edge of Doom
0 (0%)
Bright Victory
0 (0%)
I Want You
0 (0%)
Return to Paradise
0 (0%)
Hell Below Zero
0 (0%)
Phffft
0 (0%)
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
0 (0%)
A Prize of Gold
0 (0%)
Trial
0 (0%)
The Harder They Fall
1 (8.3%)
The Little Hut
0 (0%)
Peyton Place
0 (0%)
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
0 (0%)
From the Terrace
0 (0%)
Nine Hours to Rama
0 (0%)
The Prize
0 (0%)
Von Ryan's Express
1 (8.3%)
Lost Command
0 (0%)
Valley of the Dolls
0 (0%)
Daddy's Gone A-Hunting
0 (0%)
Happy Birthday, Wanda June
0 (0%)
Limbo
0 (0%)
Earthquake
0 (0%)
Avalanche Express
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Robson, Mark  (Read 1980 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Robson, Mark
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
1. The Seventh Victim
2. Edge of Doom
3. The Harder They Fall
4. Champion
5. The Ghost Ship

6. Bedlam
7. Roughshod
8. Isle of the Dead
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 12:34:35 PM by 1SO »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Robson, Mark - Director's Best
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
1. The 7th Victim

2. Bedlam
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Robson, Mark
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:43:50 AM »
1. The Harder They Fall
2. The Seventh Victim

3. The Ghost Ship
4. Champion
5. Von Ryan's Express
6. Phffft

7. Daddy's Gone A-Hunting
8. Isle of the Dead
9. The Prize
10. Valley of the Dolls
11. Bright Victory
12. Roughshod
13. My Foolish Heart
14. Bedlam
15. Home of the Brave

16. Earthquake
17. Edge of Doom
18. Lost Command
19. Hell Below Zero
20. Happy Birthday, Wanda June
21. A Prize of Gold
22. The Bridges at Toko-Ri
23. Peyton Place
24. The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:20:28 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
The Seventh Victim
* * * 1/2

Thank you MartinTeller for recommending this wonderful blend of Film Noir and Alice in Wonderland. Kim Hunter, perfectly cast right off the bat in her film debut. Her character quickly leaves behind her familiar world and enters a labyrinth where the wall are made of deep, dark shadows. Everyone has a personal agenda and a secret. Nobody can be trusted though everyone is trying to help in some way. A barrage of offbeat touches like a one-armed woman in a cocktail dress, a creepy conversation between Hunter and a shadow behind a shower curtain and a sister who's like Laura re-imagined by Tim Burton. Like a midnight ride in a hearse, everything takes on sinister dimensions. I was a bit baffled at times, and I wish the bad guys had more of a plan and weren't so cult-y, but at 70 minutes rewatches will happen. (Do I show it to Mrs. 1SO during Shocktober or Noirvember?) Better than more highly-regarded Val Lewton films like Cat People.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:09 AM »
You do surprise me sometimes, 1SO.  That went better than I hoped.  I thought you might nitpick some of the film's "flaws".  Glad you enjoyed it.

I would say it's more a Shocktober pick.  Save Edge of Doom for Noir-vember.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Von Ryan's Express. Sad but a worthy best film, I think I have seen The Inn of Sixth happiness but remember none of it.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
Phffft

Such a mild recommendation it almost counts as a disappointment. It's short and amusing enough. Jack Lemmon is toned down, though he does a wonderful dance with Judy Holliday. Love seeing her again so soon after Born Yesterday. She's everything I hear about Lucille Ball. Jack Carson is on hand once again. He never fails to deliver.

Then there's Kim Novak. Still the enigmatic talent. Her part is such a blatant Marilyn Monroe part, I have to believe she's consciously doing a thorough imitation. Eyes popping out, cooing voice, that ramped up delivery. It's the best Monroe impression I've seen. I think this was an easier choice than coming up with her own spin on the character, like when Travolta played Clinton in Primary Colors. Mrs. 1SO didn't even recognize her from yesterday's film.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:18:42 AM »
The Harder They Fall
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 08:05:15 PM »
Updated Ranking

My Foolish Heart (1949)
★ ★
Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward in a wartime romance they seem a decade too old for. Andrews is fine. I’ve seen Hayward at her best and her campy worst. This has a bit of both, but she’s incredible in the more important scenes. Still not enough to get me past my prejudice for soap opera stories.

Home of the Brave (1949)
★ ★
No matter how good their intentions, old Hollywood is unequipped to tackle racial issues. There’s a high level of cringe matched by dialogue that wants to shame the audience to do better.

Bright Victory (1951)
★ ★ ˝
A soldier’s life is upended when he’s blinded by a sniper’s bullet. This marathon has me looking for the moody director that made Ghost Ship and The Seventh Victim. This is my 3rd melodrama and second in a row with a racial subplot. That aspect deeply undercuts Arthur Kennedy’s likability and is too easily forgiven. The rest is not bad, especially the details given to his character’s other senses compensating for the loss of sight.

The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)
★ ˝
I don’t get why this film exists. Lots of stock footage of aircraft carriers, planes taking off and landing. A fair amount of soap opera during shore leave with William Holden unhappy that he’s in the military, Mickey Rooney acting cheerful and Frederic March doing all the propaganda so that this can be made with the military’s cooperation.

Hell Below Zero (1954)
★ ˝
A film that’s aged very poorly. Alan Ladd plays a tough guy. Most times he’s laid back, almost asleep, and then he explodes with the fists. Convoluted plotting puts him on a whaling ship looking for a murderer while learning the joy of harpooning lots and lots of whales who are frequently being sliced up in the background. The production is proud to let you know this was filmed during actual whale hunting expeditions. Even if you can put that aside, it’s not a good drama, thriller or mystery.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 08:39:06 PM »
Peyton Place
★ ˝
Quote from: This is the Most popular review on Letterboxd
This one has not aged well. Vastly overlong soap with turgid direction from Mark Robson and a plot that bumps along ticking hot topics (teenage sex, illegitimacy, rape, murder, suicide) but not engaging effectively with any. ... I found it so tiresome that I couldn't manage it in one sitting and broke till the next day when I realized there was still another hour of the thing to go.

Not only do I completely agree with this, including having to stop last night and return to finish the back half today, returning to Mark Robson with this seems like a colossal mistake. It's the one I was most looking forward to of the bunch and it's the purest example of everything I don't like about the filmmaker.

love