Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 4958494 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10300 on: January 23, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »
Traffic by Steven Soderbergh-*****/*****

Should've won Best Picture instead of CINECAST!in' Gladiator.  Soderbergh at least deserved the Best Director Oscar and with such skill.  I really liked the approach of presenting each setting and storyline in various styles while not really going for something that could've been overly political.  I've seen this film before many times but it's been a longtime since I saw it uncut.  I'm glad to revisit and it still holds up.  This is for you Basil.  :)
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10301 on: January 23, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »

Never Say Never Again
(1983, Irvin Kershner)

I can write a review for anyone interested, but I thought this would make another great 'commentary track' with clips in the spoiler section. Anybody want this or should I just give a few lines in this thread?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #10302 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
I put a lot of stock in your bond reviews, you should go crazy with it. :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10303 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:11 AM »
Waltz with Bashir - I am not sure whether or not I can consider this to be a 2008 film or not...

A-/A or 4.4897456254

Yeah, we should probably figure that out for the Filmspots.  The thing is, even if only five people see it, it can probably get documentary and animated film nominations no problem (and then everyone can catch up with it before the final ballot is due).  But if we make it a 2009 film, then there's a chance (a small chance, but still a chance) that it could compete in a category like best picture.

I'm thinking it should probably be a 2008 film and you should probably revise your ballot on Sunday  :).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #10304 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:08 AM »

Romance and Cigarettes (John Turturro, 2005)

Interestingly gaudy little half-musical hybrid thing. The characters burst into sing-alongs to popular songs as if the songs are playing on a radio nearby (well, not really... but that's how it feels like). There's points when it all kind of gets too annoying and I kind of noticed how much Christopher Walken can sometimes creep me out but overall this was worth it. The performances by the leads are actually pretty excellent, especially Susan Sarandon as Kitty. The film is at its best in the musical sequences (and the film's best moment is just plain startling in its out-of-nowhere beauty and poetry, Kate Winslet + underwater + awesome song). But I think the film hits some very interesting notes at its end and though it's sort of cliche, I really enjoyed the quiet resignation that it aspires to. What a weird thing to say. But, though I like a lot of it, I just can't bring myself to really like this just cuz of the gaudiness (it's a bit jarring to me) even though that's what makes the film interesting. The hunger is insatiable...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:42:00 PM by roujin »

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #10305 on: January 24, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
This is for you Basil.  :)

Quite an insightful and accurate review. I look forward to discussing the film later in the year.  :)
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10306 on: January 24, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Up the Yangtze  (Yung Chang, 2007)
I think it was matt the movie watcher who compared Taxi to the Dark Side to an episode of Frontline.  Well, that's pretty much how I reacted to Up the Yangtze.  It's still like a good, solid episode, but there was nothing that transcendent about it, for me.
Grade: B

Times and Winds  (Reha Erdem, 2006)
There are two really great visual motifs in this movie, both seeming to revolve around the intersection of the characters with their environment.  The compositions of the kids lying half buried in bushes and trees and the like are all gorgeous; and all the long shots following the characters as they walk through the village are compelling, and the payoff, with a face finally looking back at us, is teriffic.  But then there are ever more narrative motifs (and musical motifs) that just didn't work for me much at all and keep me from recommending this film.  Sorry, skjerva.  No more sight-unseen dictations from me, I promise.
Grade: C+

Doubt  (John Patrick Shanley, 2008)
Viola Davis single-handedly salvages this movie.  Her scenes, and the confrontatoin scene that follows, are good enough to say this movie was worth my time.  It was pretty rough going besides that, though.  Can someone explain the title to me?  I don't get it.
Grade: B-

The Wrestler  (Darren Aronofsky, 2008)
Wow, I had no idea this movie would be so conventional.  Way moreso than Milk, even.  I'm not going to list all the moments, but, goddamn, really disappointing in that respect.  It's still pretty good, regardless, and the final scene is moving and satisfying — despite the girlfriend figure showing up at the very last moment — but this could have easily been an Akiva Goldsman script.  I think I've seen discussions here about the dizzying nature of some of the camerawork, and, yeah, it was distracting.  Oh, and Rourke was good, but Penn should still win Best Actor, from what I've seen.
Grade: B

This isn't going too well.  I miss old movies.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #10307 on: January 24, 2009, 01:53:19 AM »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10308 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:45 AM »
Hearts & Minds - film at its best

That's not what Adam and Sam told me!

(But, yeah, it's really great.)

pixote

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #10309 on: January 24, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »

Times and Winds  (Reha Erdem, 2006)
 Sorry, skjerva.  No more sight-unseen dictations from me, I promise.
Grade: C+

i'm glad you didn't like it (i guess  :-\).  i felt bad when i posted not liking it.  it really seemed like the composition of the film was given much more thought than the film itself (if that makes any sense).  i think some part of me is happy i saw it, so thanks for that much :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love