love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998264 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10560 on: January 27, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »
The Big Lebowski

I was gonna write a big long review about how my class is watching as a subversion or re-imagining of The Big Sleep, but who cares? John Goodman is brilliant. John Turturro is boring.

8.5/10
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #10561 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »

Just cause.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10562 on: January 27, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »

Just cause.

Don't fuc-k with the Jesus.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10563 on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »
yeah, that's a pretty fun system, hows about the A (and C-F) range?

A is for greatness, reserved for when a movie leaves me in awe of itself.  A- is for greatness but where I have one or more reservations.  With first time viewings, A- is often code for "I'm pretty sure that was great, but I need to see it again to know for sure."  I will grade a movie an A on just a single viewing, though.

C+ basically means "I didn't like it overall (and can't recommend it), but it had its moments."  There's a lot of variation there, though.  It might be a film that's really middling except for a couple good scenes; or it might be a film that has moments of true greatness but somehow sabotages itself along the way enough to where I can no longer recommend it.

C is for either films that do absolutely nothing for me or for films where the virtues and flaws cancel out close to exactly.  If I'm bored most of the film (but never quite annoyed), the movie gets a C.  If I do get annoyed, that gets the film into C- territory.

I haven't graded too many films out in the D and F range, so that's all a little murkier.  I guess it's all about the degree to which a film manages to piss me off or make me regret the time I spent watching it.

Lately, I tend to grade films in my head as they progress, usually assigned the initial grade like twenty minutes in, depending on my level of engagement, etc., and then periodically adjusting the grade up and down step-by-step as the movie unfolds.  If I'm so engaged that I forget to do that, that's a good sign of greatness.

Short films are much more likely to earn C grades than feature films because they don't have time to impress me one way or another.

pixote
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:28:54 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #10564 on: January 27, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »
slumdog millionaire
Gran Torino
Citizen McCaw
Taxi to the Dark Side
The Weather Underground
The Prisoner, or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Burn After Reading
American Teen
Flow: For Love of Water
Our Daily Bread
Tropic Thunder
Hearts & Minds
AntiTRUST
Redbelt - went in not expecting much, came out thinking Mamet is fantastic (having recently revisited and absolutely loving Glengarry); Ejiofor is also someone i pledge o pay more attention to in the future.  really, the entire cast is pretty great.  highly recommend
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #10565 on: January 28, 2009, 12:38:02 AM »
slumdog millionaire
Gran Torino
Citizen McCaw
Taxi to the Dark Side
The Weather Underground
The Prisoner, or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Burn After Reading
American Teen
Flow: For Love of Water
Our Daily Bread
Tropic Thunder
Hearts & Minds
AntiTRUST
Redbelt - went in not expecting much, came out thinking Mamet is fantastic (having recently revisited and absolutely loving Glengarry); Ejiofor is also someone i pledge o pay more attention to in the future.  really, the entire cast is pretty great.  highly recommend

Glad you liked it.  Too bad you didn't see it in time to nominate Ejiofor.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you're changing your ballot.  It's the right call.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #10566 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:05 AM »
Watched an absolutely fantastic film Promised Land by Andrei Wajda (Kanal, Ashes and Diamonds).  Its about industrial life in late 19th century Poland.  A sort of Polish version of There Will Be Blood, where three friends try to build a factory in a bustling Polish city and lose their humanity while they do it.  The production is just amazing, you feel like you are in the middle of the Industrial revolution.  The excesses of the wealthy industrious class are both terrifying and hilarious, these people put pagan Rome to shame.  This excess is amazingly juxtaposed with the surrounding urban squalor.  The whole movie is just a gunpowder keg and you seat there waiting for it to explode.   

The movies finale is both unexpected and shocking, how can single boulder flying through a palace window be so drenched with symbolism and foreshadowing?  Amazing movie, if you have seen any of Wajda's other films, see this one as well, you will not regret it.     

9/10         
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:06:28 AM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10567 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:07 AM »
Promised Land by Andrei Wajda

I've been meaning to see that forever.  Thanks for the push.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #10568 on: January 28, 2009, 05:16:45 AM »

pixote

Glad to spark your interest, but just a warning.  This is not a work of realism.  It plays like a fevered dream, think There Will Be Blood directed by Terry Gilliam.  Also the movies portrayal of the cities ethnic communities (evenly divided between Polaks, Germans, and Jews) is hilariously offensive, but equally so for all three.  Also Wajdas favorite symbol, red blood on white background forming a Polish flag (Ashes and Diamonds ending) is back again here.     

My one complaint is that the DVD transfer from Netflix was downright poor, but beggars ain't choosers.

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #10569 on: January 28, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »

pixote

Glad to spark your interest, but just a warning.  This is not a work of realism.  It plays like a fevered dream, think There Will Be Blood directed by Terry Gilliam.  Also the movies portrayal of the cities ethnic communities (evenly divided between Polaks, Germans, and Jews) is hilariously offensive, but equally so for all three.  Also Wajdas favorite symbol, red blood on white background forming a Polish flag (Ashes and Diamonds ending) is back again here.     

My one complaint is that the DVD transfer from Netflix was downright poor, but beggars ain't choosers.

After my experiences with Wajda last year, I'm definitely interested in checking this one out.  Seems like the transfer of Kanal (the non-Criterion one) isn't very good either, and that's one that really benefits from a nice transfer since it's so dark.

love