Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998349 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10730 on: January 31, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
The Magic Box (1951) ***1/2
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/review-the-magic-box-1951/

Interesting biopic. It is very straight forward and formulaic, but I highly enjoyed the look at genius and how it isn't always appreciated. I also enjoyed the way this film dealt with Greene's methods and the terrific way it built up suspense for the first time he tried his movie camera. Surprisingly great film.

The Evil Dead (1981) ***
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/review-the-evil-dead-1981/

Fun film, Bruce Campbell is awesome and remains one of the most criminally underrated actors in the business. The gore was great, the atmosphere was excellent. It was a bit too lean on story and is by no means a deep film, but a very fun effort.

Aguirre, Der Zorn Gottes (1972)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/review-aguirre-der-zorn-gottes-1972-2/

Stupid WordPress almost lost my write-up for this movie, thank Odin I copied it right before trying to find out what was wrong. Either way, powerful film, and Klaus Kinski is absolutely mesmerizing in his portrayal of madness and the depths of human depravity. Tremendous tone and atmosphere, plenty to say about the world then, the world now, our interaction with nature, etc.. Just an all around great film, one of the best I've ever seen.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #10731 on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »
Election
Pretty great. It gets certain parts of the High School dynamic really spot on. It also gets youth and disenfranchisement really spot on as well. The really dark tone of the second half is really interesting compared to the first half, which is so much lighter and funnier.

The last ten minutes are totally unnecessary.

3.5/5

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10732 on: February 01, 2009, 07:43:09 AM »
I only kid my friend, though Postal is pretty good. As I have said before, the first interview scene is hysterical and one of last year's best comedic scenes.

This scene?

Humour is a strange thing. I didn't find that scene the least bit funny.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #10733 on: February 01, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »

What a film, I actually enjoyed it even more than my initial viewing if that's possible. Day-Lewis gets a lot of plaudits as Planview but it’s really just a masterclass in a character driven performance. Film is most hauntingly beautiful, I am a little raw Anderson missed out in the awards seasons.

Huh? It was a 2007 film and he was nominated for best achievement in directing and other accolades like best picture, best writing, etc., etc.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #10734 on: February 01, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »
I only kid my friend, though Postal is pretty good. As I have said before, the first interview scene is hysterical and one of last year's best comedic scenes.

This scene?

God, I hate Uwe Boll...

"What's the difference between a duck?"

That's a pretty damn funny scene, aside from the very last line, but the rest of it is great. It starts off slow, builds up a ton of steam, and ends not that great, but still a great scene.

I'll admit the dialogue was quasi-funny, but that's the writing. The directing was horrible. The delivery was bad. The actors were horrendous.

If a more adequate director (let's say Judd Apatow) had directed a scene like this... it would've have been funny. Also, not to sound like a culturalist... but Germans are well known for their overt lack of good humor.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10735 on: February 01, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »

This scene?

God, I hate Uwe Boll...

That's a pretty damn funny scene, aside from the very last line, but the rest of it is great. It starts off slow, builds up a ton of steam, and ends not that great, but still a great scene.

I'll admit the dialogue was quasi-funny, but that's the writing. The directing was horrible. The delivery was bad. The actors were horrendous.

If a more adequate director (let's say Judd Apatow) had directed a scene like this... it would've have been funny. Also, not to sound like a culturalist... but Germans are well known for their overt lack of good humor.

You may have a point there.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10736 on: February 01, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »

2004, Michael Radford

For years no film adaptation of this Shakespear play had been attemtped. Once one understand what exactly goes on in the story, that becomes easy to understand. Set in 17th century Venice, which was then a powerful city state, it tells a emotionally complex that pits a Christian merchant, Antonio (Jeremy Irons) against a Jewish money lender, Shylock (Al Pacino) when the former discovers that he cannot repay the money lend as promised. The signed bond stated that if the correct amount could not be repaid, Shylock would take a pound of Antonio's 'fair flesh' But at no interest! Hey, hey!

Essentially, the Jewish community is treating like dung in this story. Venice being a good Christian state, the majority see it fit to segregate the Jews and spit on them when it pleases them. Yeah, not the kind of movie you want to make in the few years folowing the Holocaust. Regardless, this is from 2004 and I must say the movie is pretty good. The language is not quite what Shakespear put on paper. It's modernized somewhat for today's audiences, while still retaining  a very classical feel to it. That will frustrate purists and relieve those who don't want to hear old English, so take it for what it's worth. For me personally, the story was more than interesting enough to keep me occupied for 2 hours. The tension between Christian and Jews, which is the backdrop, and the subsequent reliance of Anotonio on Shylock when the former needs money to send his friend Bessanio (Joseph Fiennes) to find a wife, is fascinating.  The acting is quite good. I've always liked Jeremy Irons, but I think Fiennes, Pacino and Lynn Collins (who plays Portia) are all better here. Costumes and set look lovely and authentic. Having spent a few days in Venice last summer, it was nice to recognize many of the locations, athough that doesn't make the movie better. The mere fact that it takes place in gorgeous Venice makes it better!

Shifting in tone sometimes, definately slow, but thematically powerful with good performances, The Merchant of Venice is a fine film, perhaps not great.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #10737 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »

This scene?

God, I hate Uwe Boll...

You may have a point there.

It's not great direction, but it's at the very least adequate. I would say that for the most part everything in the scene was at least adequate. I can't help but think that if they had not attached Boll's name to the film the reception would be a bit more positive.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10738 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »

And I watch this right after the Filmspot nominations are due...Well, I suppose the consolation is that my lone vote would not have determined whether or not this make the final 5 ballot.

Waltz With Bashir is a peculiar hybrid between an animation film, complete with the odd scenes one can create in animation, and a documentary. Ari Folman, after analyzing a recurring nightmare his friend has about the Lebanese war, decides to investigate his own memories about the war, mainly because he can't seem to recall all that much.

What follows is a series of animated interviews coupled with animated re-enactments of what occured during the war. This was an odd movie to watch for the simple reason that I was wrestling with the idea that the people involved were recollecting real events, even though everything is animated, which is my mind typically denotes 'fiction.' In addition, I'm never an admirer of re-enactments in documentaries (see my review of Man On Wire for more on that), but precisely because they are all animated in Waltz With Bashir, I let that slide for once. It was strange how the movie grew on me. The decision to animate the film is a bold one. Not only does it not diminish the quality of the interviews, but it also provides very stylistic, vivid, and emotionally powerful method of sharing the memories of everyone involved in combat.

The idea of selective memories and repressed memories is also a major player in the film. The shock and horror of the Lebonese war (and massacres which transpired throughout) have been shoved to the back of Folman's mind and locked away. His obsession to retrieve those thoughts is interesting, as I wanted to discover what Folman was looking for as well. The notion of repressed memories is fascinating, and makes for great subject matter (among other things) in the film. Guilt, confusion, curiosity, the ability to come to terms with reality, fear of knowing what really happened, all these and more are at play, making Folman and the interviewees compelling people.
I won't debate whether this is a documentary or not. It's just a good film inspired by real events. It doesn't look like the movie will be released in many American markets before the Filmspot deadline (strange, as it's been playing where I live since Christmas), but I hope that won't take the wind out of its sails when it finally opens down south. I liked it a lot and it makes for a compelling, if somewhat bizzare viewing experience.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #10739 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
Rachel Getting Married

All the buzz for Anne Hathaway's performance is dead-on, she completely inhabits the character of Kym in all her excruciating pain, awkwardness and vile selfishness.  She's not a likeable character but I found myself feeling compassion for her nonetheless.  Although this movie had the exquisitely uncomfortable moments I had expected given the subject matter, and although that sort of thing usually makes a movie too much for me, there was enough warmth and humanity and genuine sense of "doing-their-best" that got me past it and left me still rooting for the characters.  I ended up enjoying the movie much more than I expected.

B+

Slumdog Millionaire

Exhilerating, wonderful soundtrack, fascinating story and very cool storytelling.  I really liked this movie and plan to see it again.  I just wish that Jamal didn't always have his mouth hanging open so stupidly.

A

love