Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998318 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10770 on: February 02, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »
P.S. I hope you didnt see the stupid version with all the digital crap added to cover up the orgy scene.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #10771 on: February 02, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
I quite enjoyed Cloverfield and I think more people would have as well if they realized it's not a monster movie but a journey movie. Oh well.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) ***1/2
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/review-eyes-wide-shut-1999/

This one was able to sneak up on me, because all I ever heard before watching it were bad reviews. Of course being a big fan of Kubrick I was skeptical as to how it could be so bad and it turns out I was correct to be skeptical. Like usual Tom Cruise is rock solid in his role and continues to be an actor who gets hated on for no reasons, he actually has talent people. Also like usual, Nicole Kidman was weak as all get out and the one glaring flaw in the film. But, great atmosphere and the usual Kubrick use of an outrageous topic to tackle the simple ideas of humanity.

Eyes Wide Shut is a great film. Its a brilliant investigation of the role of sex in relationships.

It also has a naked Nicole Kidman back when she was still hot. That's a plus.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #10772 on: February 02, 2009, 12:57:03 AM »

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau, 1927)

I don't know about you, but that city girl was pretty hot.

Well, I really dug this but I have to say I'm puzzled as to why this movie gets all the attention. I mean, isn't this about a would-be murderer? I kept thinking to myself, isn't this supposed to be a love story? I can't think of any good reason why I would take back this douchebag if he tried to kill me... I also love how often he tries to choke a bitch, always welcome in my book. The first 40 or 50 minutes were pretty much sublime (and yes I CINECAST!ing bought it when she forgave him) with that great music playing and when they come out the church I was all but after that it becomes 30 minutes of them going around town being all happy which wasn't as interesting to me. So, hi.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:40:39 PM by roujin »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #10773 on: February 02, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »
I don't know about you, but that city girl was pretty hot.

I'm not all that bad looking actually.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #10774 on: February 02, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »
I seen a vision...

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #10775 on: February 02, 2009, 02:00:51 AM »
For those of you who have not seen The Thin Red Line I will save you time with my patented eight scene crib notes version.

Following _Keith_'s example, I hereby dedicate my latest 90s bracket verdict to you.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #10776 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:26 AM »
The Devil Wears Prada
I mean, sometimes you've just gotta watch trash, right? And when you do, you might as well watch good trash with amazing clothes and bags and belts and shoes and scarves and sunglasses and dresses and... ahh...

Besides, it's hella fun just to watch Meryl Streep get to be such a bitch. I'd love to see The September Issue and Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. If she's anything like Miranda Priestly, she must be amayzin'.

3.5/5, purely for the fun of it.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #10777 on: February 02, 2009, 09:20:12 AM »
P.S. I hope you didnt see the stupid version with all the digital crap added to cover up the orgy scene.

Unfortunately I did, I made note of that in my review. I didn't think it incredibly hurt the film, but it shouldn't have been done.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:23:46 AM by Bill Thompson »

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #10778 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
Che

5/10 posted thoughts on Che spoiler thread.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #10779 on: February 02, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »
The Man From Earth (2007) ***1/2

Very good science fiction. This is more in line with written science fiction than it is with any sci-fi you will find on TV or in the movies. It's not about any external threat, it's not an action film, but it is a suspense film built around the idea of questioning everything around you. I didn't much care for the ending, it would have been better if the whole father/son thing had never been revealed, but still a great film.

love