Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998077 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #17590 on: August 02, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »

The Doom Generation (Gregg Araki, 1995)

A heterosexual movie by Gregg Araki. It's basically the most blatant and ridiculous apocalypse everywhere with the world trying to kill the young lovers at every turn. You got your "normal" het couple played with wonderful vapidity by James Duval and awesome disaffected charm by Rose McGowan. Introduce sexual liberator and go! The film's over the top depiction of violence is perfectly in line with the film's overall design and aesthetic that's both campy but loves its characters anyway (how else to account for the touching moments when the characters reach out to each other or become so confused by what's going on that they seemingly drift off for a few seconds). Araki is all closeups on faces, overhead shots of food items, weirdo editing, extremely tactile closeups on random actions, post-rock dissolves, weirdo production design. It's a world perfectly consistent with itself. What's the story here? Can't these two boys just love each other? Nah, not in these united states. USA USA USA! If it helps, it's also CINECAST!ing hilarious.

The only thing I remember about this is McGowan in the tub.  I think I was 12.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #17591 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Wonderland

I don't have much to say about this.  Its interesting at times, never terrible, but ultimately not Boogie Nights.

Grade C+

Wait a minute?  Which one?  The Michael Winterbottom film or the one about John Holmes?

The Doom Generation (Gregg Araki, 1995)

A heterosexual movie by Gregg Araki. It's basically the most blatant and ridiculous apocalypse everywhere with the world trying to kill the young lovers at every turn. You got your "normal" het couple played with wonderful vapidity by James Duval and awesome disaffected charm by Rose McGowan. Introduce sexual liberator and go! The film's over the top depiction of violence is perfectly in line with the film's overall design and aesthetic that's both campy but loves its characters anyway (how else to account for the touching moments when the characters reach out to each other or become so confused by what's going on that they seemingly drift off for a few seconds). Araki is all closeups on faces, overhead shots of food items, weirdo editing, extremely tactile closeups on random actions, post-rock dissolves, weirdo production design. It's a world perfectly consistent with itself. What's the story here? Can't these two boys just love each other? Nah, not in these united states. USA USA USA! If it helps, it's also CINECAST!ing hilarious.

The only thing I remember about this is McGowan in the tub.  I think I was 12.

Oh, I saw that when I was 15-16.  Had a profound effect on me.  I'm not sure how it holds up now.  I loved the music in that film and I remembered in the scene where James Duval, Rose McGowan, and Jonathan Schech were attack in the car by a few guys.  Those guys turned out to be Skinny Puppy but during that scene, one of the guys got injured which would only cause more troubled for that band at the time of filming. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #17592 on: August 02, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
Killer Of Sheep - Really good.  Beautifully shot, I was generally mystified by what was going on plot-wise (using the term loosely) but usually didn't care.

Yeah, I pretty much just get swept up by those images and don't really care about what's "going on".  I hope more people can see it before they submit their lists.
One of two Burnett films in my Top 100.

You should probably tell me what the other one is so I can watch it.
It's To Sleep With Anger.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #17593 on: August 02, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
Pi
[img]

Eraserhead on mathematics.  At least this movie made sense.  3 out of 5.

That image just put Pi at the top of my queue. Who doesn't love math movies?

Do you know anything about maths? If you do, it will only irritate you here. Bit like 21 or one of the Spiderman movies (I think, or something else forgettable) with Schrödinger's equation. The movie is terrible anyway and has the single worst noise played every five minutes.

Amusingly, the math in Good Will Hunting is good, although the supposedly incredibly difficult combinatorics problem on the chalkboard that Matt Damon solves is not nearly as difficult as they claim. (This according to a friend who was a graduate student in computer science, studying computing theory and combinatorics, when the film came out.)

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #17594 on: August 02, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
Watchmen - one of the longest three hour movies I've ever seen.  The "Hallelujah" scene manages to be a crime against both music and cinema.  Generally speaking, the use of music is godawful.  Still, it captures the book better than I thought it would.  Snyder uses too much slo-mo, but I guess I prefer that to too much cutting.

Did you read my review on Watchmen because I said almost the exact same thing. Except for the capturing the book, I didn't read the book so it doesn't pertain. What was going on with the slo-mo??
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #17595 on: August 02, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

A great movie about the difference between the pretense of chivalry, and true honor.  Between heartless social codes, and a willingness to give ones life for the things that truly matter.

This movie is best watched completely unspoiled, finding out the story as the characters do, do yourself a favor and just watch it without even reading a description.

Suffice to say it works as a great mystery-thriller, a slow but satisfying samurai slasher, as well as a damning conviction of Japanese WWII leadership and the militaristic pseudo-chivalry that guided it.  It takes awhile to get there, but the samurai action at the end is the best I saw outside of a Kurosawa film.  Its like the end of Kill Bill volume 1, but with ten times more meaning behind the actions of the characters.

10/10
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #17596 on: August 02, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
To quote someone around here "ten times zero is zero" ;)

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #17597 on: August 02, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
Fight Club

2nd viewing. My opinion of it has dropped, despite the incredibly clever filmmaking. I find the Fight Club stuff (the first half of the film) much more interesting than the Operation Mayhem stuff (the second half).

Accomplishment: 4 stars out of 5. Enjoyableness: 3.5 stars out of 5.

500 Days of Summer

Sometimes really smart. Good sound track (Carla Bruni!). My girlfriend and I had strongly different views about the faults of the major characters. Oh, and why does Tom's sister live in LA when he (presumably they) grew up in NJ?

Accomplishment: 3.5 stars out of 5. Enjoyableness: 3.5 stars out of 5.

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #17598 on: August 02, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
Watchmen - one of the longest three hour movies I've ever seen.  The "Hallelujah" scene manages to be a crime against both music and cinema.  Generally speaking, the use of music is godawful.  Still, it captures the book better than I thought it would.  Snyder uses too much slo-mo, but I guess I prefer that to too much cutting.

Did you read my review on Watchmen because I said almost the exact same thing. Except for the capturing the book, I didn't read the book so it doesn't pertain. What was going on with the slo-mo??

It's the exact same thing many people have said

slow-mo to me just seemed like a way to capture an actual comic book on the screen. 300 used it excessively as well.

and that one scene, I can't comprehend the level to which that seems to bother some people. Even if you don't like it, or don't appreciate the humor of the scene... it's like 3 minutes of a long movie. how it can offend I don't understand.

I have watched it again recently, as have others, so hopefully this is considered on topic discussion.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17599 on: August 02, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

Observe and Report (Jody Hill, 2009)

That kinda sums up the movie, really. It's so almost pathetically funny and awkward that the laughs that do come out feel like a relief or something. The film is pretty contemptuous and unpleasant and there's not really anyone to root for or whatever like there is in most comedies. But I guess that's what's interesting about it. Seth Rogen is actually pretty good here in this totally delusional performance. I loved that description of his dream to the psychologist and how he mimes shooting her. LOL. Sometimes it works as weird anti-comedy when a montage of Michael Pena and Rogen having fun at the mall somehow ends up in a bathroom stall with Pena doing heroin. It's totally sad and hilarious. The movie's kinda tonally all over the place with scenes that are more normally funny coming right after something totally pathetic and sad. So, it's interesting and the places it goes to are pretty surprising and intense for a "comedy" or whatever. It felt like a lot like The King of Comedy in that the reason I don't like it more is just that I find it hard to watch someone who is kinda delusional in this way or whatever. So, not as terrible as you thought! It's probably better than I'm saying it is.