love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996422 times)

Fugee

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #18580 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
Sunshine - Aside from a couple cringe-worthy lines, this moving was CINECAST!ing cool/10

Correct.
:o Yesssssss

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18581 on: August 19, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Lorna's Silence - wonderful - probably their best (this after i placed 2 of their films in my Top 10 (at 4 and 10) for my recent Top 100).  Lorna clearly cites Bresson's L'argent, with added commentaries on gender and immigration/(global)citizenship, while offering a damning critique of capitalism/money fetishizing - all without feeling like they are trying to make a statement.  Lorna has the standard feel of other Dardennes films - non-steady camera work with frequent close-ups, naturalistic acting, a limited diagetic soundtrack,  and a generally gritty texture - which, as always, perfectly accentuates the settings and content.  however, the final few minutes have a different feel than typical for their work and i think it was pulled off to amazing effect.

I need to go back and find pix's critique, which stopped me from going to this a few days ago, and might have been a little blessing as i went in with lowered expectations.  

the AMC i went to had the film mis-framed, so i missed the first 2ish minutes of subtitles - CINECAST!ers!

Elephant - damn, i wish i would have revisited this for my 100.  the atmospheric quality of the film is what i was searching for to have represented on my list.  i love the sound design, minimalism, and the way the film simmers with the impending finale looming.  van sant is horrifically under-rated

Rome, Open City (Roberto Rossellini, 1945)
This is so great. It would've totally been a candidate for my top 100 had I seen it in time....

B+ (Right at the top end of the B+, so nearly an A-)
If B+ films are likely candidates for your Top 100 films of all-time, it's probably time to revise your grading system again. :D  Even if you claim not to have seen that many films, etc. etc.  I mean, I was totally shocked (but pleased) to see Black Orpheus on your list after you only rated it just a B+ a couple months back.

Hi, roujin.

pixote

been meaning to visit Rome for quite some time now, hopefully this kicks my pants.  Black Orpheus is another that just missed my 100, it was one of the final few traded out :(
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18582 on: August 19, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
Lorna's Silence - wonderful - probably their best (this after i placed 2 of their films in my Top 10 (at 4 and 10) for my recent Top 100).

So was it better than Wendy & Lucy after all?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #18583 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
G-Force

Don't ask.

1/5
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Mr. Hutchinson

• I was hiding under your porch because I love you.
« Reply #18584 on: August 19, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Up was good for 30 min then pretty bad (but I know I am in the minority on that one).

:o I'm not the only one! Here, here.

nah, I mostly agree - wouldn;t say pretty bad but definitely a let-down.

So many people are so very wrong.

What makes it good, then? I was bored to tears after being driven to tears by the first half hour.

<<<<<<<<<<

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18585 on: August 19, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
Lorna's Silence - wonderful - probably their best (this after i placed 2 of their films in my Top 10 (at 4 and 10) for my recent Top 100).

pixote

maybe, but at least really close, which surprised me
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #18586 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »
Up was good for 30 min then pretty bad (but I know I am in the minority on that one).

:o I'm not the only one! Here, here.

nah, I mostly agree - wouldn;t say pretty bad but definitely a let-down.

So many people are so very wrong.

What makes it good, then? I was bored to tears after being driven to tears by the first half hour.

<<<<<<<<<<

Hutch needs to post more. That dog is amazing.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18587 on: August 19, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

maybe, but at least really close, which surprised me

I knew you'd dig the thematics.  I did, too, really, but I guess the difference is that in your experience of the film it didn't feel like it was making a statement; whereas in mine, that's all I felt.  You win!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #18588 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
#193.

The Player (Robert Altman, 1992) -

I was blown away for eight minutes. What a opening scene, what a tracking shot. These kinds of things always blow my mind. How do they organize all that and get it all right? I love me some Tim Robbins too. But I feel like it had only to go downhill from there on. It stayed pretty good as Altman is great at making interesting films, although he often does nothing of note with the camera, tracking shot notwithstanding. It played almost like a late-night cable movie with the plot, although I feel like that was intended as it is a "black-comedy". I loved all of the Hollywood cameos. Oftentimes I get annoyed by cameos, especially plentiful amounts of them, like in Funny People, but here I actually liked it and felt like it fit pretty well with what the film was about, it made sense to have these people here. I especially liked Willis and Roberts in Habeas Corpus. What a great film within a film. I wish they would have shown the "Japanese lantern" scene though. The way they ended it was fantastic though, sell-outs. The cheesy line at the end of the fake film mirrored with the end of the actual film is great too. Overall a very good film, but I stop short of calling it great.

Rating: 3/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18589 on: August 19, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
I wonder if you'll like Short Cuts better.  (I do.)

pixote