love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996627 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20080 on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey roujin, try being just a little more wrong every once in a while.
roujin, you are, in fact, not wrong, but right.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20081 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »
huh, people read those things...

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #20082 on: September 21, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
Alice In Wonderland.

Wondertastic.

I told you.  ;D I'm like a modern day prophet, only with a way better beard than any other prophet has ever sported.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #20083 on: September 21, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

he's not wrong, just messing with us.  we know he knows that his bad taste is just a gesture to mess with people like you who know better
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20084 on: September 21, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »

I'll keep this in mind.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #20085 on: September 21, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »

he's not wrong, just messing with us.  we know he knows that his bad taste is just a gesture to mess with people like you who know better

Truer words have never rarely been spoken.
A$AP Fables

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #20086 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »

Jackie Brown* (Quentin Tarantino, 1997)

Really glad to get your thoughts on this one, and see that they were positive.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #20087 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »
Jackie Brown* (Quentin Tarantino, 1997)

Middle-aged characters whose main concerns are inevitable weight-gaining, hair-loss and getting stuck with jobs they hate for another 25 years because you don't change careers in your 40s don't often get their due in Hollywood films

Indeed. That's probably what struck me the most about this viewing, how concerned it is with aging, trying to stake out your own way even if the years are getting on. Ordell has his money, Max has his thoughts about getting out of the bonds business and Jackie, well, she has a plan. I guess the people that wanted Tarantino to grow up must've skipped this movie cuz it's by far his most mature and soulful film all while grounding it firmly in a genre framework. It also contains bar none his most emotionally resonant sequence (Max Cherry: out-of-focus, alone). Not to mention Tarantino's most complex and human characterizations. CINECAST!, that reprise of "Across 110th Street" is one of the greatest things ever. Those lines on Forster's face say it all. I liked the languid pace and the funky soundtrack and the repeating mall sequence and its incredible soundtrack. May be his best film.

Tarantino ranked:

1. Kill Bill: Volume 1
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill: Volume 2
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. Death Proof

Nice, roujin.  :)  I've not seen Reservoir Dogs, IB, or Death Proof, but Jackie Brown is my favorite among the rest.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #20088 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »
#213.

Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000) -

Yang Yang is awesome. Yang himself, the director, went a little to Cranberries for my liking, making it a near three hour experience, though it didn't really seem that long. I think it did a good job involving all the different little aspects of life that can and do go wrong, but the way in which it was done was uninvolving to me. I kept thinking that everyone was just going to kill themselves. Seemed like such a depressing movie to me, maybe I took it the wrong way, but geez. Like I said though, Yang Yang is awesome. One of my favorite characters I've seen in a movie this year probably.

Rating: 2.5/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20089 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
17 Again

**/****

First off Zac Efron reminds me of Clay Guiga, the UFC fighter so much. They both look like the missing link. Why do people think he is hot?

I figured I owned it to roujin to see this especially since he ranks it higher than Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker.

This is not a movie made for me at all, so you can take everything I say with a grain of salt. It's pretty much a wholesale rip off of Big, just in reverse. It's not a very good movie, but it certainly is not bad. It is actually much better than I imagined.

For some inexplicable reason it is shot with this Vaseline lens that gives it far more visual weight than is warranted for the content. It looks really good. However, the visuals do not match the film. The cinematographer thought he/she was working on a small art house film, not a teen comedy.

You know the entire plot, including how it will end, within 10 minutes of starting the film. The story is touching enough even though it is predictable. The comedy falls rather flat for most of the movie, but there are a couple funny parts.

There are a few horrid parts. The obligatory geek Efron to cool Efron transformation is laughably bad. The worst plot hole is somehow his voice is completely different when he is 17 but his wife cant tell the difference even though his best friend cant tell its him!

Zac Efron is a pretty average actor but certainly serviceable for a film of this kind. I like Matthew Perry and he is pretty good here. In fact, the best parts of the film are before he becomes 17 Again. The highschool part is basically composed of every cliche you can name from every other highschool movie ever made.

In the end this is an ok film for what it is. It's like a zero calorie dessert. It's ok but you would rather have something with some fat in it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:39:42 AM by Clovis8 »