love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997757 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20510 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »
The onscreen text was one of my favorite gags. The callback towards the end was priceless.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20511 on: October 05, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
I could put a price on it. Ain't worth shit!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #20512 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
Price. Less.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20513 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
 :P

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #20514 on: October 05, 2009, 02:28:02 AM »
Reservoir Dogs
First viewing (Gasp!). After all this time and all the talk, I wasn't exactly coming to it with a clean, unbiased perspective. Even though I had expected the violence, it was still a bit hard to take, and even though I had expected the pop culture dialogue, there was still a bit too much of it for my taste. I was surprised by how many flashback scenes there were, but I thought they didn't detract from the tightness of the script too much, but rather fleshed out the characters nicely. And the characters and performances were the strongest aspect of the film for me, especially Keitel and Roth. Overall, maybe a 7/10 for me, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to Goodfellas or not.

Pulp Fiction
I had seen it before, but once in a slightly cut and dubbed TV version, and once in the cinema between 1am and 3.30am, during which I fell asleep for a while. So this is the masterpiece? I'm wondering how good it would be if it didn't play out of sequence. The structure is really cool, and of course these are iconic scenes and characters, but I just wasn't loving it wholeheartedly (the Bruce Willis storyline ended up being my favourite part, which surprised me). It's possible that I watched it with too much of a "OK, bring it, blow me away!" attitude, though. I'd say I'd rate it about the same as Reservoir Dogs.

This was a pretty fun double feature, and just what I needed after a sucky week.

I also saw (500) Days of Summer. Loved it for the most part, even though a few ideas were too precious for my taste (why does everyone in romantic comedies have to be/aspire to be an architect? And the next girl's name is Autumn, seriously?). I found Joseph Gordon-Levitt an extremely likeable and relatable protagonist. 7/10

With fronds like these...

• I'm on Twitter...
« Reply #20515 on: October 05, 2009, 07:04:50 AM »
I just watched Revolutionary Road for the first time...

the short version
Left me cold. Or is that the point?

The longer version - on my blog
http://theproseandthepassion.wordpress.com

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20516 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
Well I walked out after 40 minutes so I guess you could say it left me 'cold.'
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20517 on: October 05, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »
Zombieland (Ruben Fleischer, 2009)

It was okay. Everything was played for comedy which suits me fine, but, I don't know. I guess it just isn't particularly special to me. It's just kinda whatever. I like Jesse Eisenberg but I got pretty tired of his voiceover pretty quickly. Yeah, I get it, you were a nerd and were wasting your life before all this happened and you've never had a girlfriend or something. Don't trust people! Jeez! Woody is great, duh, I liked his shameless crying. The sequence in the Hollywood mansion is definitely the best part. Lots of really funny stuff there even if it does put on hold their journey or whatever, but I guess you gotta pad out your running time somehow. So, laughs were had, blood was spilled, roujin was amused. Mostly. But... I really hated that on-screen text. I don't know why but that shit just annoys the hell out of me. Blergh. Average. Average roujin average ninjas average versus average self.
Agreed, the text is annoying after the first two minutes.

Are roujin and I seriously the only people who think this is just an average film? So far all the praise seems to be "it was really funny."

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #20518 on: October 05, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »
Knowing
Overall I thought the movie was quite entertaining. It’s nothing memorable but just the movie to end a stressful day and you want to give your brain a rest. Nick Cage is doing his thing which he has been doing for quite some time now: Playing Sherlock Holmes using his five facial expressions from “I don’t get it” to “listen to me, this is important”. I’m not bashing him or the movie. It’s dumb fun with an outrageously stupid ending. That’s not a bad thing. It’s not really trying to be anything it’s not.
I give it 3 out of 5 apocalypses

To Kill a Mocking Bird
I had never seen the movie before and I can absolutely see how Atticus Finch made #1 on Adam’s and Matty’s top 5 list of screen dads. He’s as decent as it gets: Respectful, empathetic, intelligent and loving. As far as the plot is concerned, seeing the events unfold through the eyes of children is very effective. You’re in their world and only here and there the adult world seeps through.
The few years that separate Jem from Scout makes all the difference. You can tell Scout doesn’t quite get yet what’s going on whereas the boy is at the verge of really understanding the importance of his father’s work and the unspeakable injustice that is taking place. I highly recommend watching the making of included on almost every DVD version of the movie. It’s a neat over 90 minute documentary on the book with actors as well as historians and people working in the field of law giving their view on the trial and the importance of the movie.
I give it 5 out of 5 dead dogs

The Reader
This is an interesting one. Ubergeekygirl and I had a pretty intense conversation about The Reader. Our moral compass is somewhat different and I hope there will be some feedback from you guys how you view the character of Hanna Schmitz. I don’t think she’s a victim of circumstances or a victim of any kind. I didn’t feel any empathy for her whatsoever. The character is almost reduced to a McGuffin to get Michael into a moral maelstrom. Hanna herself is not a very deep character. She’s a simple, dutiful, uneducated woman who chooses severe consequences over shame. Admittedly she’s not the focus of the movie anyway. I don’t thing Kate Winslet had much to work with in the first place. She did what she could but there is only so much 3D you can do with a pencil and a napkin. It’s obvious that a great many people see her performance completely different as it got her the Oscar after all. I’m probably alone with my view on her character. Oh well.
The main character Michael Berg on the other hand (at young age as well as later in his life) shows a very interesting moral dilemma. I don’t share it but it’s an interesting view none the less. Excellently played by David Kross and perfectly downplayed by Ralph Fiennes. You can’t help but wonder what happened between the last time we saw Michael and when we see him again as an adult. The guilt has eaten him alive. A shameful, quiet man is all that’s left even at arm’s length with his daughter. Truly tragic.
I give it 3 out of 5 little ladies with a dog

Changeling
I’ve always loved Clint Eastwood. Some of the characters he played are among the meanest SOB’s on screen ever. How can you not want this man to be your buddy? He’d probably shoot you in the face for a stupid remark but still, Clint Eastwood is the man. Period. When it comes to the movies he directed so far I’m torn: On one hand I think Eastwood has an amazing gift of picking very interesting material on the other hand I don’t care much for his directing. It’s often a bit messy and feels a lot like it’s been shot from the hips, purely driven and determined by the man’s guts. Let’s take Gran Torino for instance: I love his character and the story is interesting enough. Why did he surround himself with a group of such atrociously bad actors? The kid’s performance literally made me cringe a few times. Plus, the flow of time is all over the place. Are we seeing the afternoon of the same day in the next scene? Oh, it’s two months later? It seems like Eastwood simply doesn’t care about certain aspects of his movie. Watch both Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers. They both could need some serious tightening and focus.
Changeling is another example of underwhelming and somewhat strange directing of amazing material. The story of Christine Collins is outrageous and very interesting but again the directing is a mystery to me. In the third act of the movie the focus shifts completely. Within a few minutes the movie is no longer a drama but becomes a crime movie. I understand one could argue it’s a crime movie the moment Christine’s son is taken from her but without wanting to spoil anything, I’m not referring to THAT crime. It didn’t work for me. I was too invested in what Christine had to face in her fight for justice. I still think the movie is very good but Changeling could have been great. It’s a shame. Ps. I think Jeffrey Donovan’s performance was outstanding. Give me more of this guy, he’s awesome!
I give it 4 out of 5 .44 Magnums

"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20519 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »
Blue Velvet

Holy shit. You can talk about the scene on the lawn, but the scene after (in the house) is one of the most unbelievable scenes ever. Shocking, confronting, disarming and just brilliant. I really enjoyed this. 8/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love