love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998030 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20860 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:02 AM »
my friend said it wasn't scary and that he was bored. The only time he jumped was when there was a loud noise after a dead silence, which is a cheap scare. I haven't decided if I want to see it yet or not.

I'm with you. I want to see it if it's creepy, but not if it's just a bunch of jump scares.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #20861 on: October 14, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »
Jump scares get a bad rap. They are, if executed well, just as valid as slow-build scares and creepy atmospheres. Which is why Drag Me To Hell is so good.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20862 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
my friend said it wasn't scary and that he was bored. The only time he jumped was when there was a loud noise after a dead silence, which is a cheap scare. I haven't decided if I want to see it yet or not.

I'm with you. I want to see it if it's creepy, but not if it's just a bunch of jump scares.

Its very creepy.  Yes there are jump scares, but they are completely earned because they build such great tension first and scare you with the atmosphere.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20863 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
Jump scares get a bad rap. They are, if executed well, just as valid as slow-build scares and creepy atmospheres. Which is why Drag Me To Hell is so good.
I certainly think there are some good instances but after watching a couple dozen you start anticipating them and they become a bit dreary. I'd blame sound design the most. Almost any time a horror film gets really quiet a jump scare occurs. And if a movie simply uses it over and over as the only way to scare its audience then I think you have a problem.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
« Reply #20864 on: October 14, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »
I certainly think there are some good instances but after watching a couple dozen you start anticipating them and they become a bit dreary. I'd blame sound design the most. Almost any time a horror film gets really quiet a jump scare occurs. And if a movie simply uses it over and over as the only way to scare its audience then I think you have a problem.

I think sound design is the main reason I lost interest in modern horror movies. Scare me with the story and atmosphere, not with anticipation of the next loud noise.

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #20865 on: October 14, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »
But, again, when the jump scares and sound design are used well (which usually means sparingly) they work. Writing off jump scares is like writing off using a zoom in a film. They have their purposes but shouldn't be used constantly.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20866 on: October 14, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »
The Apartment

It was OK. I get irritated when a plot/situation/story progresses and evolves solely due to stupidity. And on that note, why must it take something as drastic as love to rectify this stupidity? I think I might have to avoid Jack Lemmon in roles like this (and Some Like It Hot) in the future. 6/10.

Roles where he's really good?

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20867 on: October 14, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
The Apartment

It was OK. I get irritated when a plot/situation/story progresses and evolves solely due to stupidity. And on that note, why must it take something as drastic as love to rectify this stupidity? I think I might have to avoid Jack Lemmon in roles like this (and Some Like It Hot) in the future. 6/10.

Roles where he's really good?

Yes, I understand I am in the minority. Everything in those two roles is over-the-top: the facial expressions, the voice, the body language. It's a bit unsettling and not for me.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20868 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »

I think sound design is the main reason I lost interest in modern horror movies. Scare me with the story and atmosphere, not with anticipation of the next loud noise.

Yeah, I had a heart attack about 10 times during Drag Me To Hell, primarily due to it being the loudest movie I've ever seen in the theatre: anything new entering the frame and BOOM huge loud noise.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

StarCarly

• Elite Member
« Reply #20869 on: October 14, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Robocop

I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why someone would want to watch this. Maybe camp value? Not for me.

Grade: D

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

love