Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3695621 times)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21280 on: October 22, 2009, 07:44:26 AM »
I agree. It's a fun movie. I'm still hoping for a sequel. The end more then hints at it!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21281 on: October 22, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
There was a night when both Titanic and Deep Rising were on HBO and HBO2 or something at the same time. I watched Deep Rising. I don't regret it.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #21282 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
Badlands

I'm not really sure when I was supposed to care. Shouldn't two psychopaths be interesting or at the very least evoke empathy/disdain/horror/pity or something? A shame. 5/10.
Malick never really bothers to go around judging his characters. I actually kind of like that approach. It's never as easy as "here's the badguy, hate him." All his characters feel human to me, even the ones I don't care about.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21283 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
My Malick favorites rank by year: Most recent as #1, though they are all spectacular. I guess this means Tree of Life is going to be earth shatteringly great.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21284 on: October 22, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »
BRONSON

No, not the biography of Charles Bronson the actor rather Charlie Bronson, Britain's most famous criminal.  And the name is just his criminal nickname, earned for his death wish attitude.  Tom Hardy, an English bad boy himself delivers one hell of a performance.  its too bad its not an especially interesting film, and anything this film does well still doesn't come close to the brilliance of a film like Chopper.  Worth a look for UK Film Fanatics.

Grade C+
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:55:48 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #21285 on: October 22, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
JSA: Joint Security Area by Chan-wook Park-****1/2/*****

Definitely an overlooked film that had a few issues early on as it started out slow and the actors speaking English wasn't very good.  Yet, once the story got going in Korean and the investigation of what happened in the deaths of two North Korean soldiers by a South Korean sergeant.  That's when the film became interesting for me and I was invested in the story and characters.  Plus, I got a great insight into why the chances of a possible reunification between North and South Korea seems impossible due to political reasons.  It's definitely a film that I think more people should see. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21286 on: October 22, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
BRONSON

No, not the biography of Charles Bronson the actor rather Charlie Bronson, Britain's most famous criminal.  And the name is just his criminal nickname, earned for his death wish attitude.  Tom Hardy, an English bad boy himself delivers one hell of a performance.  its too bad its not an especially interesting film, and anything this film does well still doesn't come close to the brilliance of a film like Chopper.  Worth a look for UK Film Fanatics.

Grade C+

I want to see this film more than just about anything else currently out there. Aside from A Serious Man, but after I see that I will be dying to see Bronson.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #21287 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
BRONSON

Grade C+

I want to see this film more than just about anything else currently out there. Aside from A Serious Man, but after I see that I will be dying to see Bronson.
Only a C+? That's surprising. I have really high hopes for this one.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21288 on: October 22, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Yeah.  I had heard great things about it, but it didn't deliver on the story front.  The performance is pretty great,but again Chopper has an amazing story and is well made.  This is overly simple, but I guess its hard to make a biopic about a guy who spends 34 years of a 36 year stretch in solitary confinement.  That's where the film fails, there isn't enough substance.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21289 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Brick (2005)

Originally I was going to write an actual review about this, but out of laziness I decided not to. All I will say is this, I loved the transplanted dialogue, and pretty much everything about this film. But, any time a film works the word effulgent into a characters mouth I can only respond with a "Whoa, awesome."

This review makes me happy.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.