love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998543 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21370 on: October 23, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I'm now going to add Grace to my list of must see films.

From what I know about your tastes, I think you'll really like it.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21371 on: October 23, 2009, 02:53:51 AM »
Coraline

Sometimes a movie just hits you the right way.  I'm kicking myself for not seeing this on the big screen.  I avoided it for so long seeing as I've pretty much strongly disliked all Neil Gaiman adaptations.  That and none of the trailers or commercials interested me.  This is such a different movie than what the advertisements made it out to be.  Its dark, scary and every bit an exciting adventure.

This film could have stood another 15 minutes to really setup the ending a bit better, but other than that, fantastic.  I'm giving it a nod for Score (I'm purchasing the music ASAP), and for Best Animated Feature and dare I say...  Best Cinematography?  It's up there.

One day I hope to have a family, that is when I can take care of one.  This film has made me dead certain that I want a daughter.  I like to think if I had one, she'd love this film, maybe even consider it a favorite.  I would love to share this film with her.  One can dream, right?  Can you tell I loved it?  Most of my friends were middling in their appraisal of it.  How they'll be surprised come year's end to find it riding high on my list.

Grade A-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21372 on: October 23, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
Dracula (1992)

Francis Ford Coppola, Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins and Vampires.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21373 on: October 23, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
Breach

Pretty bland. Don't bother.

2/4

I've always counted Chris Cooper's performance as one of the best of the decade. Just to throw my two cents in, it's not a great movie, but I think it's worth a watch.

I agree with both of you.  Real mixed bag there. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21374 on: October 23, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
Duplicity

Rule No. 1 when making an espionage film; be it Corporate, Industrial, Political or any kind of espionage don't be BORING.  Be interesting!  That's gotta be the first rule.  By breaking rule number 1 Duplicity fails to be a good movie.  Sure its got witty dialog and good anamorphic photography, but as good as Robert Elswitt, ASC, is he's only as good as the movie.  Its rubbish that drags on for 2 hours and nearly six minutes.  Sure, there's a surprise ending fitting the genre, but its not worth putting yourself through the pains of 2 hours and 6 minutes of this movie.  I'll give it the big Corporate espionage sequence, where they're stealing the formula, its pretty tense, but my god, it too isn't worth the time.  I actiually thought about doing my quarterlies  while I was watching this.

Grade C-

You were much too nice to this
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #21375 on: October 23, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
Juno - It's been a while since I've smiled that much while watching a film, and I can't believe I didn't really like this movie the first time around. Sure, some of the dialogue hits odd notes that momentarily took me out of it, but it's still pretty gate. Not to mention Cera and Page's chemistry. It's all a lot of fun, and J.K. Simmons makes being a Dad looking CINECAST!ing awesome.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #21376 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
Juno - It's been a while since I've smiled that much while watching a film, and I can't believe I didn't really like this movie the first time around. Sure, some of the dialogue hits odd notes that momentarily took me out of it, but it's still pretty gate. Not to mention Cera and Page's chemistry. It's all a lot of fun, and J.K. Simmons makes being a Dad looking CINECAST!ing awesome.

Wow. You don't see that too often. Most people seem to have lost their love for Juno, not the other way around.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21377 on: October 23, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »

Wow. You don't see that too often. Most people seem to have lost their love for Juno, not the other way around.

It's a fine movie. When these Fox Searchlight "indie" movies come out, they come with such buzz, that you either have to euphorically love them, or loathe them, and I think the truth of the matter, is just that it's a fine, cute movie, with some embarassing moments of dialouge, and some genuinely funny and sweet moments. If it did nothing and you just stumbled upon it on TV one day, I have a feeling most would feel the same way, and wouldn't plant some flag in the ground.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21378 on: October 23, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen)  Grade: A

Filmspotting confession.  This is in my top 100, but quite honestly I don't know if I'd ever seen the whole thing all the way through in one sitting. It's certainly been 10 years since I'd even caught a glimpse of.  I finally did last night and I was surprised to see one or two scenes I hadn't seen before!  It's a classic and deserving of all it's praise.  It's hard for me to say this but I think Diane Keaton's latter-day over-the-top performances (like in As Good as it Gets) spoiled me on her a little in this.  I shouldn't let that happen.  It's part of the code.  But alas it did.  What's amazing is how many films that came later ripped this off.  In particular When Harry Met Sally came to mind on multiple occasions.  For me, the first and second acts are brilliant.  The California stuff seems pretty broad.  And yeah, I know that's the joke, but it's broad even beyond that.  The fourth wall stuff is fabulous, especially waiting in line for the movie.  I wish I could go back and see this in the late 70's when WA's shtick was new and fresh and I would have to spend half the movie trying to keep up.  Now I'm so familiar with the pantamic snare beat of his delivery I sit and wait for the punchline and as a result they don't land quite as solid.  They have all the punch, comic timing and humorous sensibility of a funny line, but I'm not sure they're all actually funny.  But that's ok.  Overall - on the page - it's probably one of the greatest screenplays ever.  My secret hope is that maybe if I love this enough no one will make me watch all other the Woody Allen films I haven't seen yet.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988, Charles Crichton)  Grade: B+

K-k-k-ken is c-c-coming to k-k-kill me!!!  I'd seen this a dozen times when it first came out and laughed hysterically - and had most of the lines pretty well memorized.  I caught this on AMC earlier this week and realized I hadn't seen it it probably 18 years.  So the question is:  does it hold up?   Yeah - for the most part is does.   Ripping on the English and Americans alike.  Some of the slapstick stuff that had me peeing my pants back in the theater in '88 didn't land as funny now  but ...that's ok.   All the performances are just spot on - but the real scene stealer is Kevin Kline.  That is a brilliant BRILLIANT comic performance.  He goes "all-in" in that role and it could have been a mess if not done just right.  For fans of the early 70's and 80's Monty Python stuff, A Fish Called Wanda was criticized by some at the time to be "Dumbed down Python for non-Geeks" - and I think that's not far off.  But the trade off is far more laugh out loud moments than lines you'd recite at a convention some day.
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21379 on: October 23, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »
Juno

... the truth of the matter, is just that it's a fine, cute movie, with some embarassing moments of dialouge, and some genuinely funny and sweet moments.   If it did nothing and you just stumbled upon it on TV one day, I have a feeling most would feel the same way, and wouldn't plant some flag in the ground.

Very well said

And that's kinda the way I took it.  (To me Little Miss Sunshine and The Full Monty have the same problem.  )
(switchboard)