Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996594 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21700 on: October 30, 2009, 10:46:40 AM »
The Graduate - Mike Nichols, 1967

I had high expectations for this classic (I love Nichols' Closer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). For the first half hour or so I was enthralled – Mrs. Robinson was dynamite, the dialogue was snappy and there were some great little scenes (through-the-leg shot was cool and I liked the one where the camera is in the bedroom watching Ben fumbling on the stairs, begging him to return to the bedroom). Their vapid relationship was set-up fantastically and was a great precursor to the necessary confrontation: “we’re going to have a conversation.” Angst creeps in, things are uneasy, how will this develop? Well ... it doesn’t, it just stops dead. Mrs. Robinson (the only interesting character) just disappears, the boring daughter comes in and consequently the movie just dies. With the departure of Mrs. Robinson, nobody says anything interesting and we are stuck watching a bunch of insipid fools. I don’t understand how something so good can go so bad. First 30 minutes: 9/10. The rest: 3/10.

I felt the same way, couldn't stand this movie either time I watched it. I was especially irked at how the direction decides to punish Mrs. Robinson as the movie goes along, the only character in the whole movie who is really alive and willing to feel and the writing/direction treat her like she's Satan and needs to die. I also couldn't stand Hoffman's character from the get-go, just not a movie for me I guess.

I'm glad that others are seeing the light.

I found the whole thing to be a bit of a head scratcher too.  But on the good side I finally understood like three Simpsons references.  So there's something

I'm shocked and appalled.  Its my favorite film.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #21701 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »

I had high expectations for this classic (I love Nichols' Closer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). For the first half hour or so I was enthralled – Mrs. Robinson was dynamite, the dialogue was snappy and there were some great little scenes (through-the-leg shot was cool and I liked the one where the camera is in the bedroom watching Ben fumbling on the stairs, begging him to return to the bedroom). Their vapid relationship was set-up fantastically and was a great precursor to the necessary confrontation: “we’re going to have a conversation.” Angst creeps in, things are uneasy, how will this develop? Well ... it doesn’t, it just stops dead. Mrs. Robinson (the only interesting character) just disappears, the boring daughter comes in and consequently the movie just dies. With the departure of Mrs. Robinson, nobody says anything interesting and we are stuck watching a bunch of insipid fools. I don’t understand how something so good can go so bad. First 30 minutes: 9/10. The rest: 3/10.

I felt the same way, couldn't stand this movie either time I watched it. I was especially irked at how the direction decides to punish Mrs. Robinson as the movie goes along, the only character in the whole movie who is really alive and willing to feel and the writing/direction treat her like she's Satan and needs to die. I also couldn't stand Hoffman's character from the get-go, just not a movie for me I guess.

I found the whole thing to be a bit of a head scratcher too.  But on the good side I finally understood like three Simpsons references.  So there's something

I'm a little shocked to. I think it's an A+ film, and I thought lots of you people agreed.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #21702 on: October 30, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
Not all, most. CG was used in certain cases where models were too restrictive, and to tie things together, and do set extensions and the like. I'm all for traditional model work, but it's very ignorant to say all CG looks bad, especially when you're being fooled by it all the time.

Ignorant or not CGI looks bad more often than not and the more there is the worse the movie looks. You may love it, but I hate it. I am fine with it being a minor addition but when it is the main tool it makes for a terrible looking movie.

I think Zodiac is one of the best examples of great, inconspicuous CGI.  I watched some of the featurettes that came with the DVD and was surprised to see just how much CGI was used in the film.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21703 on: October 30, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
Not all, most. CG was used in certain cases where models were too restrictive, and to tie things together, and do set extensions and the like. I'm all for traditional model work, but it's very ignorant to say all CG looks bad, especially when you're being fooled by it all the time.

Ignorant or not CGI looks bad more often than not and the more there is the worse the movie looks. You may love it, but I hate it. I am fine with it being a minor addition but when it is the main tool it makes for a terrible looking movie.

So much wrong with this post, especially when numerous examples have been given to you in the past that prove this to not be the case.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21704 on: October 30, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

So much wrong with this post, especially when numerous examples have been given to you in the past that prove this to not be the case.

You can give me all the examples you like and it wont change the fact that traditional effects look significantly better then CGI in nearly every case.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21705 on: October 30, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

I think Zodiac is one of the best examples of great, inconspicuous CGI.  I watched some of the featurettes that came with the DVD and was surprised to see just how much CGI was used in the film.

The CGI in Zodiac is really well done but it would still look better had he been able to gets those shots using the real bridge etc. You can tell it's CGI.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21706 on: October 30, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm a little shocked to. I think it's an A+ film, and I thought lots of you people agreed.

It did make our top 100 so obviouly there's a lot of people that agree with you, I just don't happen to be among them.

Then again, I'm not a big Hoffman fan either.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #21707 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Zombieland - dull
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21708 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »
Repulsion - Roman Polanski, 1965

Absolutely loved it. I would advise not reading anything about it - just come in fresh as I did. Polanski creates a wonderfully weird, creepy world full of reflections and skewed angles. I was shocked, aghast, mouth agape for pretty much the entire 100 minutes. 9/10.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21709 on: October 30, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »
You Graduate haters can kiss my grits.  :P
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love