Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3694950 times)

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22810 on: November 22, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
And you've gotta love this guy's scene...

Bruce McGill is the man!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22811 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Not sure why, but this go around it didn't quite live up to my previous viewings. Nothing serious. It's still great. I just felt it dragged a bit when Tucco and Blondie arrive at that Monastery where Tucco's brother is a monk, after that it's ok. How did you guys feel about that bit and others? Did it feel a bit long at times?
I watched this for the first time on Blu-Ray tonight.  The transfer was better than I expected, and for the most part it looked great.  However, the DVD only allows you to watch the 175min extended cut, and I hate that version.  It lets all the air out with a handful of scenes that just aren't as good.  It throws off the whole pacing.  The scene where Tuco meets his brother is well-acted, but removes the mythic quality from The Ugly.  Additional political commentary does the same to The Good.  (And whoever read Eastwood's lines sounds nothing like him.  It's a real travesty.)

Even ignoring the extra baggage, the film wasn't as strong as I remembered.  I have 3 Leone in my Top 100, and having recently seen them all now, I can't say for certain this is better than Once Upon A Time in the West or even For A Few Dollars More.  But I kind of came back around in the final half-hour, which is cinematic perfection.  Every shot, edit, performance and music queue in that grave yard is as good as cinema gets.

Also, I started noticing a lot of Jack Sparrow in Eli Wallach's performance, especially in the hand gestures and the way his character comes off like a boob but is very capable when he needs to be.  I'm surprised Johnny Depp hasn't said anything.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #22812 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
Carlito's Way
Dir. Brian De Palma

Parts of this are pretty good, but its too long and too uninteresting to be as good as I've heard it was.  Other than Pacino's wardrobe and some of his performance its not a film I particularly care for.  The foot chase through Grand Central is great until the gun play starts, then its just generic Hollywood action which deflates a really well staged set piece.

Grade B-

Great film.

Still Sean Penn's best performance.

His hair in Carlito's Way is some of the funniest hair ever.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22813 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
(And whoever read Eastwood's lines sounds nothing like him.  It's a real travesty.)

That's the guy you're looking for. Eli Wallace did his own lines too, ironically the Lee van Cleef imitator does the best job of them all.
I don't like the new version either (and I'm not convinced any of those new scenes were actually supposed to be in there in the first place) but I'm not that big a fan to begin with.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #22814 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »

Blast Of Silence 8/10

This is a simple story about Frankie Bono, a hitman from Cleveland, who comes to New York to off a mid-level mob guy around Christmas.  The film was written and directed by Allen Baron, who also stars as Bruno and it's clearly a film that was made on the cheap.  The camerawork is simple and straightforward.  The film opens with a jarring, second-person narrative that I never really warmed to.  There were a few great lines that temporarily won me over - the mob guy is described as "Second-string syndicate boss with too much ambition and a mustache to hide the fact that hes got lips like a woman. The kind of face you hate.", but overall it just didn't work.  There were a few moments that stood out as being atypical of the genre, most notable a Christmas party where Frankie finds himself in a "pushing a peanut across the floor with your nose" race, and they were a nice change of pace.  The performances are all over the place.  Baron does a fine job as Bono, occasionally reminding me of DeNiro in brief flashes.  There's a romance that doesn't go anywhere and a detour along the way to the hit, but the events pretty much unfold as expected, even the ending, which may have been a bit surprising at the time (maybe?).  A good film, but I was hoping for a little more (it's not even 80 min.).

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22815 on: November 23, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »

Carry on Pickpocket Sammo Hung, 1982

Lots of fun. Those early silly moments watching Sammo and the gang pick pockets may be my favorite moments of the film along with that stakeout with that dumb cop trying all those toys. It gets pretty intense later on with some double crosses and some fake violence and I thought the film had turned this incredibly hardass turn at one point, but then it just showed me that you can't trust anything. By the way, the scene at the disco is frame-for-frame perfect. That lonely as hell Chaplin homage is so beautiful and the incredible dance sequence that follows is even better. Anyway, Sammo is the man of my dreams.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:19:03 AM by roujin »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22816 on: November 23, 2009, 01:10:02 AM »
Anvil!: The Story of Anvil - great story.  the film itself isn't bad, either.  and while i wouldn't say it deserves to be on the Oscar shortlist, i would feel good seeing it there.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22817 on: November 23, 2009, 02:57:49 AM »
Itty Bitty Titty Committee - so effing brilliant.  an utterly beautiful film. 

how was this only 95 on my last Top 100?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22818 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »
What Time is it There? (2001, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

It's good, but this guy's films start to look like one another after a while.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22819 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
What Time is it There? (2001, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

It's good, but this guy's films start to look like one another after a while.

nah.  i think Goodbye, Dragon Inn and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone are so much better, and notably different, than everything else i've caught.  convinced a friend to catch Face at CIFF last month, it was his first Tsai Ming-liang and he really liked it; i unfortunately missed it