love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996198 times)

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22820 on: November 21, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
I Wanna Hold Your Hand - R. Zemeckis, 1978
This is pretty funny, and a lot of fun. Some great characters, implausible situations, and it all comes together really well. A really interesting document of a time and place in music.

B

Quadraphenia - F. Roddam, 1979
Really interesting. Very hard to wrap my head around at first, but eventually I found it easier to follow. It's remarkably similar to a lot of the Angry Young Men films that Adam and Matty watched this year, which isn't really surprising, but still. It's about gangs and class, and it's really interesting. The conflict between the Mods and the Rockers, the presence of Sting, the riot in Brighton, the club scenes, the descent into madness, it's all great. There feels like aspects of so many films are here. I feel like it totally reflects Zabriskie Point in style towards the end, and it's a little bit of rise and fall, it's kinda slice-of-life/portrait filmmaking, it's bizarre, and crosses a whole host of styles and genres, and amounts to something really interesting and remarkable. I found myself liking it a whole lot. It had top 100 potential.

A-

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #22821 on: November 21, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »
I think of No Country as a modern day western with a little bit of darkness.

During my Kubrick Marathon last week I came across this quote of his:

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.--- Stanley Kubrick 1968

It reminded me so much of the themes in No Country for Old Men.  If I remember correctly, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something very similar at the very end of the movie, something about going on ahead into the darkness with a light.  I can't remember exactly what he said.  But it made me wonder if perhaps Cormac McCarthy and/or the Coens were Kubrick fans?  That would be cool if they were.

I might put this quote over on the NCFOM spoiler thread... 
The answers you seek are in Norway.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22822 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.--- Stanley Kubrick 1968

Thomas Hardy thought the same thing - that the universe was not hostile but indifferent - but I don't think he had as much hope as Kubrick:

Hap
If but some vengeful god would call to me
From up the sky, and laugh: "Thou suffering thing,
Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,
That thy love's loss is my hate's profiting!"

Then would I bear it, clench myself, and die,
Steeled by the sense of ire unmerited;
Half-eased in that a Powerfuller than I
Had willed and meted me the tears I shed.

But not so. How arrives it joy lies slain,
And why unblooms the best hope ever sown?
Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain,
And dicing Time for gladness casts a moan. . . .
These purblind Doomsters had as readily strown
Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain.

OmNom

• Elite Member
« Reply #22823 on: November 21, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »

Thomas Hardy thought the same thing - that the universe was not hostile but indifferent - but I don't think he had as much hope as Kubrick:

Hap
If but some vengeful god would call to me
From up the sky, and laugh: "Thou suffering thing,
Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,
That thy love's loss is my hate's profiting!"

Then would I bear it, clench myself, and die,
Steeled by the sense of ire unmerited;
Half-eased in that a Powerfuller than I
Had willed and meted me the tears I shed.

But not so. How arrives it joy lies slain,
And why unblooms the best hope ever sown?
Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain,
And dicing Time for gladness casts a moan. . . .
These purblind Doomsters had as readily strown
Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain.

Aye.  Great poem!  I read a coupla Hardy novels, but that was a very long time ago.  I think I generally share the same worldview as Hardy.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #22824 on: November 21, 2009, 10:28:37 PM »
2012 - Hated it. The movie had too many predictable famous destructo moments. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the Sistene Chapel was destroyed an you see the crack in the ceiling right between the fingers of Adam and God. Also, it would have been better if Cusack had died at the end.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22825 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

OmNom

• Elite Member
« Reply #22826 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
2012 - Hated it. The movie had too many predictable famous destructo moments. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the Sistene Chapel was destroyed an you see the crack in the ceiling right between the fingers of Adam and God. Also, it would have been better if Cusack had died at the end.

Hey!  Post this over on the spoilers thread?  The more the merrier. 

I agree about Cusack.  I have my reasons.   :D

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22827 on: November 21, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
La Vie en Rose

This wonderful film doesn't get a fair go. It is heavy-handed but always with good reason and with nonlinear storytelling the lighter moments are injected just at the right times when it all becomes a bit too much. I have no problem with a film trying to pull heart strings when there is a legitimate reason and La Vie en Rose gets the balance of melodrama and genuine sentiment just right. The music is gorgeous, swelling with purpose as the 'Little Sparrow' soars. Marion Cotillard's powerhouse performance grows on me with each viewing and is one of my favourite of the decade. 9/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

OmNom

• Elite Member
« Reply #22828 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22829 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »
Rear Window

Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   

I see Psycho as a literally perfect movie, and it is my number 4 or 5 of all time. Rear Window is the first one to rival that. It's really a game changer, for me at least.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd