Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3711274 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22830 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
SEVEN-Had not seen it before. Liked it even though I predicted the outcome. I knew from the outset that Paltrow would be a victim but it took me until Spacey turned himself in to get the ending.

3.5/5

To me the whole thing was pretty telescoped.  My only takeaway was some pretty cool atmosperic cinematography - but it wasn't nearly enough for me. 
Se7en is the only Fincher film I think is bad.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #22831 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
Se7en is the only Fincher film I think is bad.

The only Fincher feature I haven't seen is Alien 3.  I like all of his films except Button.  I love Zodiac; I really like The Game and Se7en.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22832 on: November 23, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
Brad Pitt makes that final scene unintentionally funny.

AWwwawawwawawawa, what's in the box!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22833 on: November 23, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
What Time is it There? (2001, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

It's good, but this guy's films start to look like one another after a while.

nah.  i think Goodbye, Dragon Inn and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone are so much better, and notably different, than everything else i've caught.  convinced a friend to catch Face at CIFF last month, it was his first Tsai Ming-liang and he really liked it; i unfortunately missed it

In the actual review I mention that the three Tsai films I have seen are Vivre L'Amour, The River and What Time is it There?, so I can't comment on the ones you mention. I will take them into consideration however, but only after a little break from his stuff.

gotcha.  i was in space-case mode - after i replied and posted i thought i need to click through the link. i didn't make it back

I'm sorry guys I dont buy that you predicted the ending of Se7en. Sure I can see you guessing that Paltrow would be the victim but how it happens I dont buy it. Unless of course, you had heard the ending before because it is part of general pop culture. I have seen the movie more than a dozen times and there are no clues as to the ending. It's not the kind of movie that give clues to how it will end so I dont think you can guess the ending, other than in a general way of course.

Nope you're right - didn't predict the details.  To me, however, by that point the method was of little consequence.  

not sure if this is picking up on a more detailed conversation elsewhere, but i'm with ferris here.  it was pretty obvious that Paltrow was going down and sure i had no idea how, but i don't think that was meaningful in any way.  so not a fan of that one :)

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #22834 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »

I really disagree with this,and always have. I don't know how anyone else is supposed to react in a situation like that.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22835 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »

I really disagree with this,and always have. I don't know how anyone else is supposed to react in a situation like that.

I could not agree more. It's an over-the-top reaction to an over-the-top situation. I think it's perfect.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #22836 on: November 23, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

I could not agree more. It's an over-the-top reaction to an over-the-top situation. I think it's perfect.

For people I know, it's not the character's reaction, but Pitt's acting that they find unintentionally hilarious in that scene.  I don't find it funny; I just find it pretty bad.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22837 on: November 23, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

For people I know, it's not the character's reaction, but Pitt's acting that they find unintentionally hilarious in that scene.  I don't find it funny; I just find it pretty bad.

I think it's amazing, and his acting is perfect. Every time that moment happens Pitt sends shivers down my spine. It's excellent. I don't get any complaints.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22838 on: November 23, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »

Winners and Sinners Sammo Hung, 1983

So funny. Sammo and his buddies go to jail for a bunch of really dumb crimes (the best might be that Sammo himself tries to rob a house while they're throwing a surprise party for Sammo Hung the actor :D ). Then these dudes become friends in jail and form a cleaning company. Jackie Chan also pops up throughout playing a cop who constantly screws up and the best we see of him is at this one supremely 80s rollerskating competition where has to chase down a robber and cause one of the greatest pileups in movie history. Anyway, the cleaning company somehow get caught up in a counterfeiting majigger and there's lots of hilarity there, but there's just as much time devoted to the group's pursuit of one of the member's sister or to one of them thinking that he can become invisible. Really silly stuff, but done oh so well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:19:42 PM by roujin »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #22839 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
So glad you loved it!!

Understatement of the year.

I know I am a bit late with this, but I am also so glad that you loved it, it is my #2 movie of all time. (avatar and all  :))
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:45:44 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/