Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996799 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22880 on: November 22, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »
The Insider  
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

Awesome :)

And if there was any confusion about whether or not Russel Crow could act - just replay the restaurant scene.  

This is a strangely complelling movie.  It could easily have been as boring and mundane as Flash of Genius

yeah, i just caught this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how perfect it is. Pacino is perfect.  Crowe is perfect.  Brilliant direction and cinematography.  solid script.  AND the great story

And you've gotta love this guy's scene...

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22881 on: November 22, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
One Crazy Summer
Dir.  Savage Steve Holland

Visual puns, cartoons, Bobcat, Booger, a dog with a cone, a boat race, a giant dolphin with rabies, Godzilla.  This movie has everything.  Savage Steve Holland's sophomore outing is even more over the top than his first, Better Off Dead.  He throws everything at you, then more.  And the crazy thing is, it all works.  OK, maybe not all of it, but for me, over 90% of it still makes me roar with laughter.  Holland only made 3 features, though I still hold out hope he'll return to do another someday.  Until then, I'll continue to champion this one and laugh myself to stupidity.

Grade A-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22882 on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
Hard Target

JCVD goes Walker Texas Ranger on that rattlesnake's face--and half the faces of all the badguys.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22883 on: November 22, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

The Victim Sammo Hung, 1980

It starts off so nice and comedy-like with Sammo asking random people to fight him so he can get a master. He even fights that one cat dude from Magnificent Butcher in the beginning. Anyway, things turn very serious later on, and there's all these tragic flashbacks to his eventual master's past with his brother, and Sammo's eventual master gets most of the badass action which is fine because he's really CINECAST!ing good and beardy and sweaty. Anyway, Sammo basically ingratiates his way into this dude's life, learns all his shit, gets beat up a lot and then fights alongside him. But then the film piles on like 5 CINECAST!ing different twists and you're left reeling and going WTF. So, yeah, good stuff. Oh, oh, did I run out?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:24:49 PM by roujin »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22884 on: November 22, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
One Crazy Summer
Dir.  Savage Steve Holland

Visual puns, cartoons, Bobcat, Booger, a dog with a cone, a boat race, a giant dolphin with rabies, Godzilla.  This movie has everything.  Savage Steve Holland's sophomore outing is even more over the top than his first, Better Off Dead.  He throws everything at you, then more.  And the crazy thing is, it all works.  OK, maybe not all of it, but for me, over 90% of it still makes me roar with laughter.  Holland only made 3 features, though I still hold out hope he'll return to do another someday.  Until then, I'll continue to champion this one and laugh myself to stupidity.

Grade A-

I love that one too!

#278.
Fun and Fancy Free (1947)

Rating: **1/2

#279.
Melody Time (1948)

Rating: ***

Full Reviews in Marathon section

"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Russ_ww

« Reply #22885 on: November 22, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »
Amreeka

Solid movie about a mother and her son who by chance get the opportunity leave Palestine and move to America in 2003 at the time of the Iraqi invasion. Low budget movie with a lot of heart and a number of cliches but it was a good film that didn't try to resolve everything by the end and overmoralise well worth a watch, has some good comedic moments and dramatic moments.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22886 on: November 22, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
And you've gotta love this guy's scene...

Bruce McGill is the man!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22887 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Not sure why, but this go around it didn't quite live up to my previous viewings. Nothing serious. It's still great. I just felt it dragged a bit when Tucco and Blondie arrive at that Monastery where Tucco's brother is a monk, after that it's ok. How did you guys feel about that bit and others? Did it feel a bit long at times?
I watched this for the first time on Blu-Ray tonight.  The transfer was better than I expected, and for the most part it looked great.  However, the DVD only allows you to watch the 175min extended cut, and I hate that version.  It lets all the air out with a handful of scenes that just aren't as good.  It throws off the whole pacing.  The scene where Tuco meets his brother is well-acted, but removes the mythic quality from The Ugly.  Additional political commentary does the same to The Good.  (And whoever read Eastwood's lines sounds nothing like him.  It's a real travesty.)

Even ignoring the extra baggage, the film wasn't as strong as I remembered.  I have 3 Leone in my Top 100, and having recently seen them all now, I can't say for certain this is better than Once Upon A Time in the West or even For A Few Dollars More.  But I kind of came back around in the final half-hour, which is cinematic perfection.  Every shot, edit, performance and music queue in that grave yard is as good as cinema gets.

Also, I started noticing a lot of Jack Sparrow in Eli Wallach's performance, especially in the hand gestures and the way his character comes off like a boob but is very capable when he needs to be.  I'm surprised Johnny Depp hasn't said anything.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #22888 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
Carlito's Way
Dir. Brian De Palma

Parts of this are pretty good, but its too long and too uninteresting to be as good as I've heard it was.  Other than Pacino's wardrobe and some of his performance its not a film I particularly care for.  The foot chase through Grand Central is great until the gun play starts, then its just generic Hollywood action which deflates a really well staged set piece.

Grade B-

Great film.

Still Sean Penn's best performance.

His hair in Carlito's Way is some of the funniest hair ever.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22889 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
(And whoever read Eastwood's lines sounds nothing like him.  It's a real travesty.)

That's the guy you're looking for. Eli Wallace did his own lines too, ironically the Lee van Cleef imitator does the best job of them all.
I don't like the new version either (and I'm not convinced any of those new scenes were actually supposed to be in there in the first place) but I'm not that big a fan to begin with.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/