love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996880 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #23290 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:30 AM »
One-Two-Three
 the 2nd best comedy car chase I've seen.
So do you think the best comedy car chase is in What's Up Doc? or Brewster McCloud?

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23291 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:18 AM »
Ninja Assassin
Dir. James 'That Guy That Did that Poor Adaptation of V for Vendetta' McTeigue

OK.  This movie is bad BUT (a big BUT) it also has some sick action, stunts and the way it handles the myth of the Ninja is wicked cool.  Plus its a Ninja film without Michael Dudikoff!  The script is just awful, and there was much laughter from the audience in the unintentional kind of way.  Plus Naomi Harris is absolutely terrible.   This movie would have faired a lot better without the EuroPOL subplot and had it just been Rain fighting armies of Ninjas.

There is also a really weird tonal shift.  The film starts off fairly tongue in cheek, making the bad writing seem purposeful and silly, then about 20 minutes in, they start trying to be earnest.  Terrible choice.  Terrible!  It was terrific when it maintained the cheeky attitude.  Oh well.

My friend Julian Morson was the 'A' Camera Op and the Steadicam Op, he did a bang up job!  Loved the framing and camera work.  

I'm being generous since I had a lot of fun watching it, and the blood and gore aspect was so over the top it enabled me to overlook the crap story.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23292 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:48 AM »

Woman Is The Future Of Man - The third Hong Sang-soo film I've seen, and the most imperfect.  Once again, there's a love triangle involving a film director, but the scenario doesn't multiply as much as in Like You Know It All, nor are the repetitions as symmetrical as they are in that film or Woman On The Beach.  It's bleaker than those other two films as well.  While Beach had a strong sense of melancholy, this film at times seems downright hopeless.  Perhaps my problem was that the film didn't, like those other two, focus on the film director character as much as his friend (a professor in this film).  I really like that director character.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Gobman

« Reply #23293 on: November 30, 2009, 01:05:42 AM »
One-Two-Three
 the 2nd best comedy car chase I've seen.
So do you think the best comedy car chase is in What's Up Doc? or Brewster McCloud?

Haven't seen either, was thinking of Midnight Run.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #23294 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »

Assault on Precinct 13 John Carpenter, 1976

whoa, really, really good. Very taut and lean, nary a shot wasted even though it's actually pretty slow and deliberate and the setup takes a long, long time. But I didn't mind. Those moments in the beginning are really good in their own way and that scene with the ice cream truck is incredible. It's expected but still so goddamn brutal and shocking. The rest of the film is damn mean. I liked the escalation of the conflict and the camaraderie that does and does not develop between the people inside. There is a cold brutality to the film which is hard to describe, a no nonsense way in which it goes about kicking ass and being awesome, it's cool. Unlike duder.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23295 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »
people need to use "nary" more in everyday conversation.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23296 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:20 AM »
people need to use "nary" more in everyday conversation.

I'd be happy if they used "1SO is absolutely right" more often too.

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #23297 on: November 30, 2009, 01:57:47 AM »
The Tournament

Grade: A   because we need something like this to fill in the time between Crank movies.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23298 on: November 30, 2009, 02:15:26 AM »

Team America: World Police - Too much of a mess to be more than halfway great.  The puppetry and set designs are fantastic though.  The film's really only good when it's parodying action movies: all the political, anti-actor stuff is either obvious or obnoxious.  Same goes for the music.  A huge letdown after all the brilliant songs in the South Park movie.  But hey, who doesn't love crazy puppet sex?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #23299 on: November 30, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »

Team America: World Police - Too much of a mess to be more than halfway great.  The puppetry and set designs are fantastic though.  The film's really only good when it's parodying action movies: all the political, anti-actor stuff is either obvious or obnoxious.  Same goes for the music.  A huge letdown after all the brilliant songs in the South Park movie.  But hey, who doesn't love crazy puppet sex?

Huh? The music is hilarious. Freedom costs a buck-O-five? Not awesome enough for you? How about Everyone Has AIDS. AIDS AIDS AIDS. Awesome. And the Pearl Harbor song is absolutely brilliant in every way.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love