Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996859 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24360 on: December 19, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
Bram Stocker's Dracula

What the hell was Coppola thinking?  Is this the same person that did The Godfather?  Can't be.  I didn't like this at all.  I was watching at a friend's place and we got 3/4 way through it and then decided to go for dinner so I never go to the end.

Let the Right One In

Now that's more like it.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #24361 on: December 19, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

I think I loved this. I was really expecting for it to be minor Miyazaki, but it's yet another imaginative and magical world he has created with all the joy and excitement of his best. The story is very strange and not as strong as those others, so it's not quite up there, but close. I couldn't get over how spectacular some of the sequences are. The animation and design is gorgeous, but that I at least expected.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24362 on: December 19, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »

I think I loved this. I was really expecting for it to be minor Miyazaki, but it's yet another imaginative and magical world he has created with all the joy and excitement of his best. The story is very strange and not as strong as those others, so it's not quite up there, but close. I couldn't get over how spectacular some of the sequences are. The animation and design is gorgeous, but that I at least expected.

Yeah, it's a pretty film. Been said a thousand times, but I got a Totoro vibe when I saw it, though it's not as good as Totoro. Not Miyazaki's best, but in the upper tier. Probably his fourth best film? It's better than anything else he's put out this decade, though Howl's is close, I suppose.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #24363 on: December 19, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »

Yeah, it's a pretty film. Been said a thousand times, but I got a Totoro vibe when I saw it, though it's not as good as Totoro. Not Miyazaki's best, but in the upper tier. Probably his fourth best film? It's better than anything else he's put out this decade, though Howl's is close, I suppose.

I'd say it has a Howl's vibe more than anything else. Probably Totoro second. But really I wasn't thinking of any of his other movies while watching it, it felt completely unique.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24364 on: December 19, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

I'd say it has a Howl's vibe more than anything else. Probably Totoro second. But really I wasn't thinking of any of his other movies while watching it, it felt completely unique.

Hmm, I'm not sure I completely agree with that, though he does do a great job of establishing the world and making it unique throughout I suppose. I didn't get a Howl's vibe from the film. Did you watch the Japanese version or the one with Bonus Jonas and Mini-Miley?

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #24365 on: December 19, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
Japanese. Always the original language when I have the choice. I know, I missed out. Maybe next time. :)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24366 on: December 19, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
Do you see the moral decline, FLY?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24367 on: December 19, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »
Japanese. Always the original language when I have the choice. I know, I missed out. Maybe next time. :)

That's the version I saw as well. I need to watch the American one, though there's probably no difference.

Do you see the moral decline, FLY?

Where?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24368 on: December 19, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »
Everywhere.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24369 on: December 19, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
#311.
Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000) -

As I said, I didn't really care for the subject matter or the story, but because of the style and execution by Aronofsky, I feel justified rating this a 3 star film. I guess this just goes to show how far my critical eye has come that I am able to push my personal feelings aside a bit and judge the film based on it being a film and how it tells it's story. I guess I really didn't have a whole lot to say about this one other than good achievement, medium interest from me.

Rating: ***
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love