Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3723733 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24620 on: December 27, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
Too late.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #24621 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »

Being There Dec 26

While I liked how it started and the overall concept, I didn't quite buy it in the end.  I just didn't think they would all be fooled into thinking he was this brilliant person. 

Yeah, but I think that's the satire. They're taking Chance as brilliant because of his appearance and social status, and not the content of what he's saying.

And it's way better than Forrest Gump. One has depth in it's feeling and intellect, and the other is thoughtless.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #24622 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
From one extreme to another...keep your Von Trier bitchez, I just watched G Force!

It was completely shallow and silly and a marketing vehicle for some (admittedly kind of awesome) line of toys and a video game. 

As movies to put on for the kids, you could do worse.  It made me laugh a few times and there were some throwaway references to movies that adults will get.  I actually kind of liked the way they hit every action movie cliche from slo mo effects to the soundtrck.  They even got Carmina Burana in there.

On the other hand you will never kick yourself for skipping it.  The very model of a C grade movie.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24623 on: December 27, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot I watched G Force. Terrible movie.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #24624 on: December 27, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »
Adventureland

Really sweet movie.  I think that the characters are well developed and real, made me miss being that age.  The James character is great, he's nerdy and sweet, but not a caricature, you could see why Em would fall for him.  I also liked how they didn't demonize certain characters either.  And after this and Zombieland, I would pick Eisenberg over Cera any day.  I can see this being one of those movies that I will watch whenever I come across it on TV.

B/B+
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:55:56 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #24625 on: December 27, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Adventureland

Really sweet movie.  I think that the characters are well developed and real, made me miss being that age.  The James character is great, he's nerdy and sweet, but not a caricature, you could see Em would fall for him.  I also liked how they didn't demonize certain characters either.  And after this and Zombieland, I would pick Eisenberg over Cera any day.  I can see this being one of those movies that I will watch whenever I come across it on TV.

B/B+
Glad you like it. I felt pretty much the same way. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24626 on: December 27, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »

Being There Dec 26

While I liked how it started and the overall concept, I didn't quite buy it in the end.  I just didn't think they would all be fooled into thinking he was this brilliant person. 

Yeah, but I think that's the satire. They're taking Chance as brilliant because of his appearance and social status, and not the content of what he's saying.

And it's way better than Forrest Gump. One has depth in it's feeling and intellect, and the other is thoughtless.

Being There is not only brilliant, but prophetic.  (I was going to say more, but I'm afraid of being outcast by certain elephants who are spying on me....  no, I'm not paranoid, really....)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #24627 on: December 28, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »

Being There Dec 26

Being There is not only brilliant, but prophetic.  (I was going to say more, but I'm afraid of being outcast by certain elephants who are spying on me....  no, I'm not paranoid, really....)

Please say more...in what way is it prophetic?  (just to be sure I understood properly, I looked the word up).  I do not really pay too much attention to politics, but are you thinking about something specific like how used common people (Joe the Plumber) to convey a message or something more general?

I didn't quite believe that people would interrupt his stories of gardening as some kind of analogy to the world at large.   That is where it lost me though I liked the concept and how it began, I think I would like it more if it had taken a different direction.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24628 on: December 28, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
Sherlock Holmes

What bloody good fun that was! One of the great theatre experiences for me this year, maybe second only to District 9. I loved the look and feel of the film, the tone, the acting. It all works together brilliantly. Rachel McAdams was rather diappointing though. Somehow she didn't quite fit in. Whatever. I had a great time with it.

3.5/4

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24629 on: December 28, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »
what did you think of The Headless Woman?
It didn't work for me.  I sure it can work for many, but I found it to be an interesting idea that could have been executed with a great deal of panache.  But I'm a story guy.  This was like the great dinner scene in 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days stretched to 85 minutes.  The underlying tension too often is defeated by the tedium.  And I know the film is saying something about being a woman in a certain time and place, but I was barely engrossed in the text so I wasn't at all interested in the subtext.

Grade: C-
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst