Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3722979 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24630 on: December 28, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »
I was barely engrossed in the text so I wasn't at all interested in the subtext.

I am totally stealing this line.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24631 on: December 28, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »
Two Lovers

I was slightly interested, then I was mostly bored, then I was kind of interested, then the last section really cast a spell on me. 
Pheonix plays such an undeserving and bland character that it is utterly amazing when either woman much less both! fall (to some degree) for him.
I agree with this completely.  It's my biggest complaint with the film.
I was hoping for a spoiler thread so I could read and talk about the film's key scenes, all of which occur at the end.
I'm listening to Filmspotting right now and I'm kind of agreeing with both of them.  I was watching the same movie as Ballgame for the longest time, but in the end I think I joined Team Adam.

Right Now: C+
Before I post my lists: possibly as high as B+
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #24632 on: December 28, 2009, 02:32:53 AM »
Gwyneth Paltrow doesn't fall for him until she's at her most vulnerable. She regards him as a quirky curiousity most of the time. Vinessa Shaw wants him because of the connection between the two families. The film is more about family than anything, and how family can trap you and how families can be created on a foundation of deceit. I love the production design of Leonard and his parent's apartment, with the wall filled with photos of genreations of the family's past, and Gray's direction making it feel like the walls are closing in on Leonard. To me, Two Lovers is a fine example of great, great film that suffers from a lame title.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:34:26 AM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24633 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:07 AM »
To me, Two Lovers is a fine example of great, great lame, lame film that additionally suffers from a lame title.

Phoenix wasn't believable to me.  I thought he was awful, actually.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24634 on: December 28, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »
I think this has potential to be the year's most divisive film.  It doesn't work and makes little sense on any realistic level.  But as a Fable or a Mataphor, it has something real to say about relationships, family and the need to be loved.

A Serious Man has a similar problem, but we're so in sync with what The Coens are doing, there is no doubting the fable qualities.  Plus, A Serious Man is logically sound even if you choose to read nothing into it.  Frustrating and vapid, but the characters behave in rational, believable ways.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #24635 on: December 28, 2009, 03:29:17 AM »
The Lost Weekend (1945) ****
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/review-the-lost-weekend-1945/

More proof that everyone should love Billy Wilder, the film is frank in its treatment of its subject matter and the 1940's atmosphere actually makes sure a lot of fluff that would be present in a modern telling is absent. Ray Milland gives a powerhouse performance, and the rest of the cast is darn good as well. No one in film has ever written dialogue as expertly as Billy Wilder, except maybe Preston Sturges, and no one comes remotely close when it comes to building a narrative around said dialogue, his talent is sadly missing in modern cinema.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #24636 on: December 28, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »
Nine (2009, Rob Marshall)
B

Uneven, but still fun enough.

I'll probably take a few moments to write something for the blog later today.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #24637 on: December 28, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/review-the-lost-weekend-1945/

More proof that everyone should love Billy Wilder, the film is frank in its treatment of its subject matter and the 1940's atmosphere actually makes sure a lot of fluff that would be present in a modern telling is absent. Ray Milland gives a powerhouse performance, and the rest of the cast is darn good as well. No one in film has ever written dialogue as expertly as Billy Wilder, except maybe Preston Sturges, and no one comes remotely close when it comes to building a narrative around said dialogue, his talent is sadly missing in modern cinema.

I didn't like him here. He's better in both Beau Geste and Dial M for Murder. The film kept plugging the same back and forth between his alcoholism and the good sober side to a fault - which only accentuated how dated this is. The girl was a weak facilitator and had no reason to care for his pathetic character.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24638 on: December 28, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »

I didn't like him here. He's better in both Beau Geste and Dial M for Murder. The film kept plugging the same back and forth between his alcoholism and the good sober side to a fault - which only accentuated how dated this is. The girl was a weak facilitator and had no reason to care for his pathetic character.

I didn't care for the Lost Weekend as well.  I thought it was too busy driving it's moral point that it had lost track of good storytelling.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #24639 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »
Sherlock Holmes

What bloody good fun that was! One of the great theatre experiences for me this year, maybe second only to District 9. I loved the look and feel of the film, the tone, the acting. It all works together brilliantly. Rachel McAdams was rather diappointing though. Somehow she didn't quite fit in. Whatever. I had a great time with it.

3.5/4

I've had no interest in seeing this, so I'm curious about good reviews that come in.  I'm not an expert on the original source material, but the trailers make it look like a Bourne movie - which in this case seems like a very bad thing.  Do trailers lie?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)