Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998236 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24680 on: December 27, 2009, 02:48:08 AM »
and Harlan doesn't have a "universal message about the human condition"?  i reckon you can frame either that way.  just as you can frame Anvil as an advertising piece if you want to be dismissive

The line between what I would call art and what I would call journalism is pretty gray.  I could say that its in the eye of the beholder but that is a cop-out.  There is a definite difference between Waltz with Bashir and the stuff you usually see on the history channel.  I love those WWII documentaries, but they are not art, Bashir is.  Same thing with Grizzly Man vs the stuff on the discovery channel.  Again, I love animals and enjoy nature documentaries, but there is a huge difference between what Herzog does and what Steve Erwin did (RIP).        

I guess a somewhat crude test would be, is the documentary still interesting if you could care less about the topic?  I think Anvil is still very interesting if you are not into Anvil, heavy metal, or even music in general.  I don't think that Harlan is interesting if you don't care about coal mining, labor relations, or the plight of the poor (not saying I don't).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:50:45 AM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #24681 on: December 27, 2009, 03:41:25 AM »
and Harlan doesn't have a "universal message about the human condition"?  i reckon you can frame either that way.  just as you can frame Anvil as an advertising piece if you want to be dismissive

I guess a somewhat crude test would be, is the documentary still interesting if you could care less about the topic?  I think Anvil is still very interesting if you are not into Anvil, heavy metal, or even music in general.  I don't think that Harlan is interesting if you don't care about coal mining, labor relations, or the plight of the poor (not saying I don't).

It pains me to say this  ;), but I'm with skjerva on this one.  I'm not really sure how 2 guys trying to make it in the music biz has a stronger message about the human condition than a fight for workers' rights.  And I'm also confused by your argument that Anvil would be interesting even to someone with no interest in music, while Harlan requires a specific interest.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #24682 on: December 27, 2009, 08:27:05 AM »

Food Inc.[2008]
Yes, another documentary that will make you feel bad about what you eat.  A very middle of the road documentary.  It didn't outrage me, and maybe that wasn't its point.  It made me think more about where my food comes from, but it really doesn't take much more than common sense to know you should probably be eating more organic then factory processed food.  I appreciated that the film didn't go out of its way to gross you out, and gave fair play to the companies (Walmart) who agreed to be interviewed for the documentary.  I appreciate everything that it lays out.  It is done in an intelligent, well organized manner.  It just has no flair.  No draw.  Perhaps this leads to more credence to its message, but I never felt as drawn in.  It's a decent documentary with a great message which demonizes those that should be put in the spotlight, which are the food companies, not the workers and farmers.
Rating: 3/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #24683 on: December 27, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Underneath (1995) ***1/2
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/12/27/review-underneath-1995/

Read the above link for lots of gushing about Soderbergh and how he is fast becoming one of my favorite directors and makes me question why I spent so much time in the 90's wasting my time trying to find something to like about QT while Sodie was just waiting to blow my mind. I may be turning into a little rat, I don't know, but the style of this film drew me in and never let me go, I need to see even more Sodie now.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #24684 on: December 27, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Soderbergh apparently hates that film.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #24685 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »
Soderbergh apparently hates that film.

He can hate it all he wants, I really like it.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #24686 on: December 27, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »
Forrest Gump

The backlash against this movie is so stupid. It's brilliant. And say, isn't this by the guy who made BttF? What ever happened to that guy?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24687 on: December 27, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Forrest Gump

The backlash against this movie is so stupid. It's brilliant. And say, isn't this by the guy who made BttF? What ever happened to that guy?
Like us, he lost his way spending too much time in front of a computer.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #24688 on: December 27, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »
Forrest Gump

Like us, he lost his way spending too much time in front of a computer.

Lolzorz!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24689 on: December 27, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
Forrest Gump

word, son.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."