Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3765731 times)

tjwells

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25390 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
The Headless Woman

There’s not much in the way of plot here, nor much development of several important events/characters, but the cinematography is meticulously gorgeous, and the performance of Maria Onetto, as a woman who’s own guilt at something she may or may not have done is creating a minor mental breakdown, is something to marvel, and one of the best performances of the year.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #25391 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »
A Serious Man

With A Serious Man, the BRILLIANT new film from the Coen Brothers, I think they officially pass Tarantino as the greatest filmmakers of the past twenty years. With the exception of two missteps (The Ladykillers and Burn After Reading), all of their output is at least good (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn’t There), but, more often than not, brilliant (Miller’s Crossing, Barton Fink, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, etc.). Here, they draw on their life experiences growing up Jewish in Minnesota in the late 60s, to create an extraordinary meditation on the meaninglessness of life and the inevitability of death. Everything is incredible; the always slightly disturbing but never over-the-top score, the over-meticulous (in a good way) set design and art direction, Deakins’ obviously perfect cinematography, the pitch black comedy of the script (“It’s gonna be FINE.”), and, most importantly, the lead performance of Michael Stuhlbarg. The Coen Brothers made the smart decision of filling a large portion of their cast with stage actors, and they couldn’t have made a better choice with their lead. A lot has been said of the ending, that it’s too bleak, out of place, etc., etc., but I think it works just fine, and keeps with the feeling of dread hovering over the entire film. Overall, one of the best movies of 2009, and quite possibly a new inclusion into the Coen Brothers top 5 films.

Excellent. Another Filmspotter on board. Come to the spoiler thread tj.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25392 on: January 11, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »

Scarface Howard Hawks + Richard Rosson, 1932

Pretty, pretty good. Paul Muni rises through the ranks as he takes over the South and then the North side, ruthlessly killing everyone/thing in sight. The film's best sequence is the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun killing montage where Muni destroys all his opponents. I didn't particularly like Muni that much. He seemed like this hulking monster just ready to unleash all those incestuous feelings (hey, they copied that from De Palma's original!) raging inside him. Of course, you know how this ends, but it's still pretty awesome. All those X's, that long single-take opening with the whistling and the awesomeness, and even though sometimes it's get bogged down by crappy stuff that's annoying to me for reasons unforgivable, I still had a lot of fun with it, even though I couldn't understand anything that Muni said for the last 10 or so minutes. He was just saying cocksucker over and over again, right?

Sadly, [noembed] [/noembed] is better than anything in the movie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:10:46 PM by roujin »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25393 on: January 11, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »
Of Time And The City

What, was Rick Steves busy?

Whether it is a failing or victory over snobbery, I have no real appreciation of avant garde. Ultimately this is a form of avant garde historical travelouge focused on Liverpool. Show various historical clips, overlay with vaguely related poems or writings, songs, etc and call it a film. Sorry, but I like structure and narrative in my films. I don't feel like I learn anything about Liverpool or the life of a Liverpudlian. This is the kind of film someone touts because they want to feel better than everyone else (yes, I too have films of that sort that I tout, this just isn't one of them).

Rating: 1/5

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25394 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
This is the kind of film someone touts because they want to feel better than everyone else

This is the only reason I watch movies, actually.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25395 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

The Bakery Girl of Monceau Eric Rohmer, 1963

Film #1 of the Six Moral Tales. It's about this college kid who keeps seeing this girl on the street. He becomes infatuated with her and tries to get her to go out with him. They agree to set up a date the next time they see each other, but after that, he can't seem to find the girl at all. So he starts walking around Paris, going to this bakery and always getting the same cookies and just trying to find things to do. He finds things to do. This was pretty charming. We get mostly voice over of the guy's inner thoughts as he debates what he should do. There's some clunky camera moves and needless jump cuts and zooms that feel misplaced (or misused or something) that detract from the overall experience. At 20 minutes, it's not really enough to really get into it, but I suppose it's a fine way to start this year's journey into Rohmer-dom. Rest in peace.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:10:21 PM by roujin »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #25396 on: January 11, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
Food Inc. (Robert Kenner, 2009)

Pretty good. I like to think of myself as decently educated on this topic, so most of it wasn't much new to me, but I thought it presented a nice overview of the history and current state of the food industry. And I'm all for having this kind of information getting more exposure. Some of the examples of how far reaching and sleazy the big business and political entities can be are really disturbing.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25397 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »

The Bakery Girl of Monceau Eric Rohmer, 1963

Film #1 of the Six Moral Tales. It's about this college kid who keeps seeing this girl on the street. He becomes infatuated with her and tries to get her to go out with him. They agree to set up a date the next time they see each other, but after that, he can't seem to find the girl at all. So he starts walking around Paris, going to this bakery and always getting the same cookies and just trying to find things to do. He finds things to do. This was pretty charming. We get mostly voice over of the guy's inner thoughts as he debates what he should do. There's some clunky camera moves and needless jump cuts and zooms that feel misplaced (or misused or something) that detract from the overall experience. At 20 minutes, it's not really enough to really get into it, but I suppose it's a fine way to start this year's journey into Rohmer-dom. Rest in peace.

This film wasn't great, but you are heading into some great films.  My favorite is My Night at Maud's.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25398 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Daybreakers

I'm a huge fan of Undead so I was pretty excited for this.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Now I'll admit, there are a number of silly contrivances, but when taken as a whole, the contrivances work really well with a number of incredibly well thought out details.  And its these details make a very well crafted world.  I bought it, and liked it.   Its a bit talky, but when the gore flows its AMAZING.  Bodies explode like water balloons of blood or great balls of fire.  I loved the direction the third act takes.  I even loved the overtly gratuitous slowmo shot.  If you've seen the film, you'll know what I'm talking about.  This film is not without its problems, but I had so much fun I'd like to revisit this world again.  Would love a sequel.  Also, as much as Undead had me on the Brothers Spierig's bandwagon, I'm comepletely jazzed for whatever they do next.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25399 on: January 11, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Scarface Howard Hawks + Richard Rosson, 1932

Pretty, pretty good. Paul Muni rises through the ranks as he takes over the South and then the North side, ruthlessly killing everyone/thing in sight. The film's best sequence is the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun killing montage where Muni destroys all his opponents. I didn't particularly like Muni that much. He seemed like this hulking monster just ready to unleash all those incestuous feelings (hey, they copied that from De Palma's original!) raging inside him. Of course, you know how this ends, but it's still pretty awesome. All those X's, that long single-take opening with the whistling and the awesomeness, and even though sometimes it's get bogged down by crappy stuff that's annoying to me for reasons unforgivable, I still had a lot of fun with it, even though I couldn't understand anything that Muni said for the last 10 or so minutes. He was just saying cocksucker over and over again, right?

Sadly, [noembed] [/noembed] is better than anything in the movie.

I'll agree with all of that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”