love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997703 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25780 on: January 17, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez, 1996)

Where has this movie been all my life?

It's a bunch o fun.

It is fun but Tarantino makes Cera look like a good actor.

He doesn't need to be any better than he is.

Great fun - good times.

Hey, nice marmot!

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #25781 on: January 17, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »

Watched Toy Story 1 and 2. Thought Toy Story 1 was your average film. Nothing great. A simple story with nothing extraordinary or surprising or exciting or unexpected happening. 6/10.

Loved Toy Story 2. The movie is fast paced, has a lot of comedic moments and is a breath of fresh air. 7.5/10

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25782 on: January 17, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »

A Christmas Tale* Arnaud Desplechin, 2008

I first saw this film all the way back in Nov. 2008 when it came out in the States. I went by myself and sat in the back of the theater as I usually do if I'm by myself and I came out of the screening kinda feeling a little depressed, but I was also teeming with this weird sense of elation because I just had seen this incredible movie and I kept trying to form it all in my head and try to find out why it had such a reaction on me, but it always eluded me. I didn't know why I had responded to it in the way that I had. So I watched it last night (around 1AM, to be more accurate) as I'd always meant to (same with Kings and Queen and Ma Vie Sexuelle, even though I saw that last year, too) just to find out what it is that gets me all bothered about it, why it sends me reeling in so many different directions. To start, Desplechin is definitely novelistic. In the sense that there's a lot of backstory and his characters are intricately drawn and have lots of contradictory traits about them and things like that. But he's also very cinematic, which are two things I don't feel have to be exclusive or anything. I'm thinking of the cluttered widescreen compositions in the house (which is like another character, same as Summer Hours but even more so) filled with pictures, paintings, mementos, people. Yes, people. Personally, I liked all the characters, found them engaging and humorous even when they're cruel to each other or insult each other, and I liked the way that the film evokes myths in order to explain some of the ways that families deal with its history (when Amalric says in his direct address bit that he feels he's part of a myth, but doesn't know what myth it is), and that's not even without mentioning the very direct references to storytelling that are pretty much given away in the title (it's a tale, after all). It starts off with that shadow puppetry or whatever it is detailing the mountainous backstory of the family and then it invokes Shakespeare and Plato at the end, just saying it was all shadows on the wall. Watching the movie, I felt thrilled whenever Desplechin would cut or dissolve within a scene, showing us a new angle, or doing something unexpected because I felt it tied back with his cute little obsession with DJ scratches. And I don't know. I just felt glad to be in this world for 2 and a half hours. I'm an only child, but my mom comes from a large family and that's something I don't have in my life anymore so maybe that's why Desplechin (and Anderson, to a certain extent) hit me so hard. I'm not sure. I'm not sure of anything anymore, but when Emmanuelle Devos conjures up all her energy to momentarily overwhelm the film in the scene above, at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory…

a middle of the road movie? wtf
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:24:40 AM by roujin »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25783 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
Amreeka

This movie is certainly earnest in addressing the plight of Arab immigrants in the US, but it is just too on the nose. It feels a bit more like a Lifetime movie (technically it is a National Geographic movie). It has its charming moments but is just too melodramatic. At some point the combination of naivety and really bad decision making eats away at your sympathy as it starts to feel less like a tale of societal barriers and more a tale of personal failure.

See Alan Ball's Towelhead instead...much richer and fulfilling treatment of a somewhat similar topic.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #25784 on: January 17, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez, 1996)

Where has this movie been all my life?

It's a bunch o fun.

It is fun but Tarantino makes Cera look like a good actor.

That was the first thing that blew my mind. Tarantino in a starring role, and not the worst actor in the film. He's perfectly decent.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25785 on: January 17, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
The Lovely Bones- It seems like lots of potential here, but the movie is missing... excitement? It's like the story is slowly plodding along without anything pushing it. There must be a word for that. I didn't get the connections I was looking for between the daughter and the father and there wasn't enough pulling everything together. There are a lot of different parts but nothing to make it cohesive.

The tone is kind of weird too. It tries to be funny sometimes and intense other times and I got lost as to what kind of movie this is. So I guess that makes it kind of an uneven mess?

And the last line of the movie made me gag a little. lol.

I did like Rose McIver who plays the younger sister. I knew I had seen her before, but couldn't place her. Turns out she was in "Legend of the Seeker" a SciFi TV show I randomly watched one night. Looks like this is her big break! She was probably my favorite character. Everyone else is solid, but they don't have enough to work with.

2.5/5
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #25786 on: January 17, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »

amen!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #25787 on: January 17, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
God, I found it to be SUCH a slog but that's a lot of people whose opinion I respect saying they like it.  I might have to make another attempt at this one.  But not for a while.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #25788 on: January 17, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »

I first saw this film all the way back in Nov. 2008 when it came out in the States. I went by myself and sat in the back of the theater as I usually do if I'm by myself and I came out of the screening kinda feeling a little depressed, but I was also teeming with this weird sense of elation because I just had seen this incredible movie and I kept trying to form it all in my head and try to find out why it had such a reaction on me, but it always eluded me.

I saw it under similar circumstances and had a similar reaction.  Definitely need to watch this again.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25789 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
District 9

"Last night I had a surreal experience.  I watched District 9.  Well, watching a movie, no matter how insane is almost never a surreal experience for me..."

To read the rest,
http://pastoralblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/who-is-alien.html
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love