love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998207 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #26240 on: January 25, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
Big Fan
It centers on Patton Oswalt's who is brilliant. I would have never pegged him as this good an actor from his other silly comedies.
That's what you silly people get for not watching Dollhouse.  :P

And The King of Queens!
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #26241 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:07 PM »
His voice work for Ratatouille is terrifc. Also love his album "Werewolves And Lolipops".
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #26242 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
The Fountain dir Darren Aronofsky

One of the first Blu-ray disks that I bought, over 2 years ago, and I just now watched it for the first time tonight.  I am a bit mixed, while moments of it i thought were very moving, I just could not stay in the film.  Is it worth for me to keep and watch again?

I almost wish there was a 20 minute cut that played like an extended music video.  I'd watch that on Blu-Ray twice a week for a year.  The one we get is thankfully short at 90 minutes.  It would have been an insufferable movie at 2:10!  I dunno - I think I'd watch it again after a month or so.  

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who buys films and never gets around to watching them.

I wish the film were longer and expanded on the themes of the vanity of humanity and the scientific attempts of conquering death, which itself and it's ramifications are incredibly interesting. Instead, the film focuses a little too much on the "everybody dies" stuff, and I'm like "yeah, I know Darren".

Perhaps you're right.  I think the scientific ramifications are very interesting, but maybe that's theme enough for a different film all together?  (I wonder if DA has "that" screenplay in the works somewhere?  )

Now having seen 3 Aronofsy's and watching Requiem fairly soon, I'm starting to think of the connective tissue between his films  - they all have much different looks and styles.  He's starting to become one of my, perhaps not "favorite" but, most interest-inducing directors

Interesting for sure.  I have seen 3 now, The Wrestler is the one I have not seen.  It is very hard for me to remember Pi though since I saw it in the theater when it originally came out and I probably was not in a clear state when I watched it.

Requiem will probably always be one of my favorites of all time.  It is not pleasant to watch but it is hard not to be effected by it.  

I just may have to order The Wrestler from the US as I have not been able to find it locally.  I am not sure if it is accurate but I heard it as Aronofsky as finally putting substance before style instead of the other way around.

As far as buying films and never getting to watch them, they keep growing.  Partly due to the using a Netflix style service, I keep watching what comes in the mail and never what I keep buying.  At some point I think I just list them all in the "What to watch next" thread and get my way through them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:03:56 PM by jdc115 »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #26243 on: January 25, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Heat

Give me a pair of scissors and a copy of Heat.  I will use them to make one bad episode of cops, one Lifetime original movie, and a great 90 minute Heist film.  Not since Grindhouse have I seen a movie in such dire need of an editor.  The cat and mouse game is stretched out ridiculously long, there are some awesome scenes, but it was so long it actually bored me.  There is also way too many scenes about the private lives of secondary and tertiary characters.  So who is this black dude that works at a diner and hates his job?  Why am I watching a third scene about how much he hates his boss even though he is not remotely connected to the rest of the film.  Ok, so he joined the heist... cool.  Oh, wait, he is dead now and never mentioned again.  Was it really necessary to spend fifteen minutes of screen time with him? 

I like what they did with the private lives of the two main characters, and by all means a good heist film is always about more than the heist, but not everybody needs a backstory.  Also with cat and mouse games, the less the better, there is no need to stretch the damn thing to three hour length.

6/10 would have been 9/10 if the editor did his job.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

flieger

« Reply #26244 on: January 25, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
I wish it were 5 hours... sigh.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #26245 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »

Yeah seriously, because the bank manager who is onscreen for 10 seconds needs a backstory.  Does he like his job?  Is his marriage OK?  Are his kids feeling alienated?  I don't know, but we should definitely spend several hours exploring all that...
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #26246 on: January 25, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »

Yes! Yes! I could watch this movie all day long :(

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #26247 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
The immense backstory and empathy for it's characters is what distinguishes Heat from lesser crime films.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #26248 on: January 25, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
The immense backstory and empathy for it's characters is what distinguishes Heat from lesser crime films.

I like fleshed out characters and empathy, but there is a certain limit after which it is too much of a good thing.  Like I said there is a good movie somewhere in there.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #26249 on: January 25, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »

Lady in the Water M. Night Shyamalan, 2006

This movie is CINECAST!ing infuriating.