love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997745 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27420 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:23 PM »

Duck Amuck Chuck Jones, 1953

It's impossible to deny how great this is. Even for someone like me who knew pretty much all the gags before hand and wasn't ready for any type of sincere appreciation, it had me laughing the entire time. Loved it.
This remains my favorite animated short.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #27421 on: February 14, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »

Duck Amuck Chuck Jones, 1953

It's impossible to deny how great this is. Even for someone like me who knew pretty much all the gags before hand and wasn't ready for any type of sincere appreciation, it had me laughing the entire time. Loved it.
This remains my favorite animated short.

srsly... though Destino & Goofy Skiing are great as well

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27422 on: February 14, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »

Have You Got Any Castles? Frank Tashlin,  1938

Basically, a bunch of characters inside books come alive. When The House of Seven Gables is shown, seven Clark Gables join in on the song. The screenshot above refers to The Thin Man. Get it? It's funny, but pretty whatever.

You're An Education Frank Tashlin, 1938

Same thing as Castles except instead of books, it's travel brochures. Get ready for a bunch of politically incorrect depictions of minorities! But also some hilarious stuff. Canada is represented by mounties!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27423 on: February 14, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »
Hey, isn't that the dude who made all those Jerry Lewis movies?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27424 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
Yep, same guy. He was a cartoonist for several years before jumping into live-action filmmaking in the early 50's. Most people think of his Jerry Lewis films as live-action cartoons.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27425 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
Crazy Heart

Its a solid, solid film.  What can I say.  It accomplishes what it sets out to do, sticks the landing and even manages to make Colin Ferrel a tad bit more awesome.

Jeff Bridges is very good in it, and I'll be happy for him if he wins, but I don't think its as good as the hype surrounding it.  I think there are better performances this year, but it is Jeff Bridges, and actor who deserves the recognition.  He's an awesome dude, a terrific actor and someone who delivers the goods time and time again.

Overall a good movie going experience.

Grade B
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27426 on: February 14, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
Morvern Callar

Morvern Callar is an aimless young woman reacting to the unimaginable. She is impulsive, as young people tend to be, and takes actions that seem horrific but make perfect sense for her. The film does not have a traditional plot which is perfect because Morern would never be part of a traditional story. She does not do beginnings, middles, and ends. She starts new beginnings while the middles are still playing out. We follow her ambled and confused attempt to direct her life in the aftermath of tragedy.

The film is visually stunning. It starts with a blood-stained floor and carries that blood-red motif throughout. Morvern wears read in nearly every scene. She is literally stained with blood in some. Like Lady Macbeth before her, much of the film is her attempt to remove that blood, or at least, forget about it.

It also uses diegetic sound to perfection. It has no score and no soundtrack. It's totally silent more often than not. However, it is injected with great music, most often when Morvern is listening to one of her Christmas gifts. It gives every song an eerie undertone.

Samantha Morton plays the title character and gives one of the best performances I have seen this decade. She is so expressive. She says very little throughout the entire film but we know exactly what she is thinking. When she is interacting we can tell she still has not found her social legs. She is awkward and unsure of what to say. She had not developed her moral compass. She is not a bad person, but she is not good either.

Surely one of the best of the decade.

Thanks to W@W's top 100 list for introducing me to this film

Grade: A

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:49:54 PM by Clovis8 »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27427 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
Good movie there. Make sure you watch Ratcatcher as well, if you haven't seen it.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27428 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »
Good movie there. Make sure you watch Ratcatcher as well, if you haven't seen it.

never seen it, but it's the top of the list now.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27429 on: February 14, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »

Light is Calling Bill Morrison, 2004

Some footage of the 1926 film The Bells is manipulated in strange ways by Morrison. I liked that I could still out make parts of the action in the thing. I could see the girl, the horses and the soldiers. It was moving, actually, and I couldn't quite point out why. The score helped, I imagine.

Window Water Baby Moving Stan Brakhage, 1962

It's not hard to feel humbled and moved by the entire thing. It's so goddamn intimate, and even though some of the editing bothered me, it wasn't enough to detract at all from its power. Life is beautiful. Really, it is. Full of beauty and illusions. Life is great. Without it, you'd be dead.