Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997101 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27710 on: February 20, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »
Why do you categorize it as groupthink?

Seems to me that a group of critics at Cannes decided that Wong in English would be ridiculous, and when they saw it, that's what they reported.  And when it got its local release, every local critic simply parroted the Cannes line, regardless of the fact that its completely wrong and vaguely racist.  The dialogue in My Blueberry Nights isn't any more ridiculous than that in any other Wong film.

I agree.  Most of the reviews I remember used the term "Sold Out", as if attempting to make an American Film is the ultimate betrayal of his craft.  I think he made a beautiful film the celebrates hope and second chances, very American ideals.  Yes, its a bit Post Card-ish, but he does it with a great sense of earnest appreciation.  Its his lens and he focused it on the States from an outsiders point of view.   
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27711 on: February 20, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
Why do you categorize it as groupthink?

Seems to me that a group of critics at Cannes decided that Wong in English would be ridiculous, and when they saw it, that's what they reported.  And when it got its local release, every local critic simply parroted the Cannes line, regardless of the fact that its completely wrong and vaguely racist.  The dialogue in My Blueberry Nights isn't any more ridiculous than that in any other Wong film.

It doesn't come off to me that way but I see what you're saying.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #27712 on: February 20, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
The Science of Sleep

I know this is a FS favorite, and that's why I bought it sight unseen.  I had high hopes due to the praise it received here.  Sadly I found this to be an overindulgent mess.  I nearly turned it off at the 1hr 15min mark, but saw how little was left and pushed through it.  It didn't redeem itself, but I finished it so I can feel safe in my grade.

I don't want to be a jerk so I'll say a few nice things.  Charlotte Gainsbourg delivers a strong performance.  I liked her enough to want to seek out anything she's done.  I also really loved the production design of the dream realm, but I didn't care for its integration.  I'd rather watch Gondry use these tricks for music videos, that way I could enjoy them on their own terms.  Here, they outshine the movie itself.

Grade D+

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27713 on: February 20, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Toys is an excellent movie.  I haven't seen it for a long time, but I agree that it is truly underrated, or simply under-seen.  An excellent film. 

I agree with Bondo that A Serious Man and Barton Fink are probably my two favorite Coen Bros, and there are some similarities between them-- they are both very concept-driven and they are really like puzzles to figure out rather than a straight-forward storytelling.  But I have to disagree with Miller's Crossing.  I just didn't care for that one.

Just to clarify, that's jdc with the Coen bros commentary. I'm an O Brother and Burn After Reading sort myself. A Serious Man is in the middle for me and Barton Fink in the lower half. But yay for Toys.  ;D

Sorry.   :-[   It's because you two look so much alike  ;)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27714 on: February 20, 2010, 05:33:21 PM »
But I have to disagree with Miller's Crossing.  I just didn't care for that one.

And the honourary lets make 'noke sad post of the day gpes to...
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27715 on: February 20, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
The Science of Sleep

I know this is a FS favorite, and that's why I bought it sight unseen.  I had high hopes due to the praise it received here.  Sadly I found this to be an overindulgent mess.  I nearly turned it off at the 1hr 15min mark, but saw how little was left and pushed through it.  It didn't redeem itself, but I finished it so I can feel safe in my grade.

I don't want to be a jerk so I'll say a few nice things.  Charlotte Gainsbourg delivers a strong performance.  I liked her enough to want to seek out anything she's done.  I also really loved the production design of the dream realm, but I didn't care for its integration.  I'd rather watch Gondry use these tricks for music videos, that way I could enjoy them on their own terms.  Here, they outshine the movie itself.

Grade D+

So sadly wrong.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27716 on: February 20, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
But I have to disagree with Miller's Crossing.  I just didn't care for that one.

And the honourary lets make 'noke sad post of the day gpes to...

Well, I must be wrong.  Because it's well known that 'Noke is always right.  ;)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #27717 on: February 20, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
The Science of Sleep

Grade D+

So sadly wrong.

Sorry Fro, I just didn't like it.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #27718 on: February 20, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »

Days of Youth (Yasujiro Ozu, 1929)

What? No one told me that the first available Ozu film is going to be a slapstick buddy comedy set in a ski resort just chockablock with laughs! It's a simple enough premise. Two friends on vacation attempting to woo the same girl in vain. But what makes it so much fun are the two male leads who are just brilliant! Yuki's slick, carefree personality is the perfect contrast to Saito's earnest, bumbling self. I was a little surprised by the opening shot where the camera pans across the city. I've only watched 2 Ozu features prior to this but this one felt pretty different stylewise form what I've come to expect from him. This one has the feel of someone experimenting with the camera. It's full of close-ups and tracking shots and the camera rarely stays still. Seriously, just so funny and adorable!

Grade: B+

Fighting Friends (Yasujiro Ozu, 1929)

A 14-minute short that is only a slight variation on Days of Youth. Here we have two friends sharing a house and working together. They rescue a woman and bring her home and both of them end up falling for her. This one is fun as well but not as much fun as Days of Youth. This one also feels a little darker and sadder especially due to the closing shot which is somewhat heartbreaking.

Grade: B-

I also love that both films prominently feature posters from Hollywood movies even though it feels particularly incongruous in the short :). Also, I can't get over how many of his films seem to be lost forever (17 as per my count  :'().

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27719 on: February 20, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
The Science of Sleep

Sadly I found this to be an overindulgent mess.

Yup, pretty much.

Be Kind, Rewind FTW!