Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997976 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27930 on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
The Box

I couldn't even finish it. I looked up the spoilers, and I'm glad I quit when I did.

LoL It was a well earned F I gave it last year. Easily one of the worst of the year.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #27931 on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:53 AM »
This is a very elaborate and funny joke you're playing on me.
A$AP Fables

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #27932 on: February 25, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
This is a very elaborate and funny joke you're playing on me.

I honestly watched it because I knew you enjoyed it. Can't say I agree with you though.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #27933 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely more intrigued the more I hear about how terrible it is. It's a cool sounding premise, and I can't seem to imagine what could make it so bad.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27934 on: February 25, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »
Its really terrible, but as I pointed out in my original review, I couldn't bring myself to give it an 'F'.  Being a Donnie Darko nut, this film takes a very strange turn into the Darko Universe with the inclusion of the Philosophy of Time Travel texts and illustrations.  So, that kept me interested, though its still not good.  

Richard Kelly fascinates me because I feel like he's trying to work something out (i.e. theories, otherworld concepts, religious affliations, etc) through his art.  I respect that, but I don't really enjoy it.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27935 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:07 AM »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27936 on: February 25, 2010, 01:55:16 AM »
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Liked it, didn't love it, but it definitely has it's moments. Josh Charles and Chris "with the tits" Meloni were definite standouts, though I don't think anyone came close to Frankie Faison and his entire scene. MAN. When they talk about "one-scene" Oscar nominations, this is what I wish would get recognition.

hmmm... interesting.  I think I'm going to watch it based on the title alone.  Great title

You should watch it, ferris.  Not only is Faison's scene great, but it is an intellectual journey.  I wish the characters had some depth to them, but you can't have everything.  It is very much worth the time.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

flieger

« Reply #27937 on: February 25, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »

Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)
Fantastic little genre and gender bender from Bigelow, visiting many of the themes and devices that she would develop in her later works. The tone is set with grungy motels, truck and bus stops, and redneck dive bars. This is not European decadence, but all-American utilitarian splendour. There is blood, although not that much, and it seems to be there more to signify the dependence of Caleb on Mae (a lot like Johnny Utah and Tyler in Point Break), than any gory indulgence. I'm sure there's an AIDS subtext going on, what with it being 1987, the blood swapping, and unnamed vampiric infection of just being "sick", as Caleb put it.
I love how they constantly seem to be living on the edge, as witnessed by the constant silhouette of the wide horizon during sunset and sunrise, and the group moving from one location to another. Constant nomads, immortally prowling (or crawling) from place to place. The consistency of tone is also great, considering Bigelow moves between noir, Western, horror and all that.
The performances, eh, not so much. Caleb and Mae are a little half-a**ed. Paxton is great, chewing the scenery and getting the best lines (and there are so many memorable lines in this film!), but considering we're meant to really get into the world and mindset of these outsiders, very little is done outside of stock characterisation. The creepiness of Homer, the really old "vampire" stuck in a young boy's body, ogling Caleb's little sister, was a great moment. Icky, when you think about it, but still great. Tangerine Dream rocks it, but not as splendiferously as Manhunter.
So, some mega-80s-ness, a lot of cheese and you have an enjoyable meditation on living on the margins. Glorying in the night, fearing the purifying fire of the sun.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27938 on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:09 AM »
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Liked it, didn't love it, but it definitely has it's moments. Josh Charles and Chris "with the tits" Meloni were definite standouts, though I don't think anyone came close to Frankie Faison and his entire scene. MAN. When they talk about "one-scene" Oscar nominations, this is what I wish would get recognition.

hmmm... interesting.  I think I'm going to watch it based on the title alone.  Great title

You should watch it, ferris.  Not only is Faison's scene great, but it is an intellectual journey.  I wish the characters had some depth to them, but you can't have everything.  It is very much worth the time.

If there was any sense most of the time to Krasinki's direction and frame composition it would be Top 10 material. Regardless, the script is as strong as the mightiest of men, making it one of the most interesting films to be released in a long time. Such a compact film being so laced with questions. It's a wonderful thing.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #27939 on: February 25, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »
Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)
Fantastic little genre and gender bender from Bigelow, visiting many of the themes and devices that she would develop in her later works.

Yep, it's so much fun :). I think the only thing that marred the experience for me was the cure or whatever. But even that didn't ruin the film for me or anything.

love