Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996301 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29230 on: March 26, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
I'm gonna watch that tonight.

Can't go wrong with Tremors.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

flieger

« Reply #29231 on: March 26, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
This film plays like Inglouriuos Basterds but is trying to be Black Hawk Down.

That's exactly why it's so intriguing. You two are giving Greengrass too short a shrift, especially comparing it to Scott's po-faced effort, or the woeful sermonising of Crash.
There's more to it than just comparing visual reality and apparent "veracity" to the machinations of the plot, which struck me as far more nimble and playful - and yes, playing with the tropes of the genre quite explicitly for me -  than a lot of the Gulf War efforts of the past 5 years.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #29232 on: March 26, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
Tremors

I know why this movie is so awesome.  It is Jaws on land.  Instead of a shark fin you get sand gazers and objects jolted and knocked out of place as something enormous passes underneath them.  The one thing that kind of sucked about Jaws, was that sharks don't have legs and can't just run after you after you leave the water.  This created a place of safety in the movie that should never exist in this kind of flick.  Only when the heroes set out into the ocean does one truly feel the monster is in charge.      

Tremors overcomes this with giant sand worms terrorizing a prairie town in the middle of nowhere.  This movie is insanely fun and manages to walk the line between serious and comedy perfectly.  The characters are all B-movie archetypes, but everyone is having so much fun you don't care.  Plus there is some fun comradeship between the two leads that makes them believable as friends.    

There are so many great scenes.  The attack on the doctor with the car headlight shining into the sky, the battle at the survivalists house, fishing with dynamite, but best of all is the scene where the heroine needs to take off her pants to survive in a curious reversal of what usually happens to women who take off their pants in horror films.      

Best B movie this side of Dawn of the Dead

8/10

Tremors could make the top 100 at this rate :)  Great stuff zaro!

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #29233 on: March 26, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
Grizzly Man (2005)

Herzog's best film, and certainly best protagonist, glad you loved it.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29234 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
Great review Michael X

The Last Station (Michael Hoffman 2009)

Tolstoy was the media star of the day nearing the end of his life. This film covers the last part of his life, how true, I do not know, but his life was very well documented around that time.

Christopher Plummer is impeccable as Leo Tolstoy, while Helen Mirren put in a stunning performance. James McAvoy playing a role similar to his role in 'The Last King of Scotland' had some of the most incredible scenes, in particular his reaction when asked by Tolstoy about his own work, the play of emotions across his face, wow. These 3 performance all made the excellent Paul Giamatti seem slightly, only slightly, lacking.

Story wise it is an interesting one. The cinematography was fine, as was the set design. Some of the people seemed a little too clean and modern in look. There was a few continuity errors and poor effects. Just before the end of the film it dragged a little.

Why See It? For 3 top-notch performances

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #29235 on: March 26, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »
Thanks guys.

I kept meaning to make the trip and see The Last Station, but it never happened. I'll guess I'll be renting it; Tolstoy + great performances sounds like a winning pairing.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #29236 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
Grizzly Man (2005)

dir. Herzog

...The deepest respect comes in the moments when Herzog states his own beliefs about nature and bears. Herzog doesn't mock Treadwell, but neither does he gloss over Treadwell's bizzare beliefs. He's willing to take Treadwell seriously, even after he met such an ironic end. We feel that Treadwell was compelled to do what he did - that living any other way would have been unacceptable....

Very well put.  Grizzly Man is really great
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #29237 on: March 26, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »
Great review Michael X

The Last Station (Michael Hoffman 2009)

Tolstoy was the media star of the day nearing the end of his life. This film covers the last part of his life, how true, I do not know, but his life was very well documented around that time.

Christopher Plummer is impeccable as Leo Tolstoy, while Helen Mirren put in a stunning performance. James McAvoy playing a role similar to his role in 'The Last King of Scotland' had some of the most incredible scenes, in particular his reaction when asked by Tolstoy about his own work, the play of emotions across his face, wow. These 3 performance all made the excellent Paul Giamatti seem slightly, only slightly, lacking.

Story wise it is an interesting one. The cinematography was fine, as was the set design. Some of the people seemed a little too clean and modern in look. There was a few continuity errors and poor effects. Just before the end of the film it dragged a little.

Why See It? For 3 top-notch performances

I only have the vaguest idea of who Tolstoy was. Would you say I should avoid this film until I familiarize myself with him or is it pretty open to anybody?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29238 on: March 26, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
I only have the vaguest idea of who Tolstoy was. Would you say I should avoid this film until I familiarize myself with him or is it pretty open to anybody?

I didn't particularly like The Last Station but I wouldn't say a detailed knowledge of Tolstoy is necessary. I didn't know about this part of his life certainly and while I know of his major works I've not read any. My thought was that the film was too melodramatic. I'm surprised a sign didn't light up whenever the "villain" (complete with mustache twirling) shows up, telling the audience to boo.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #29239 on: March 26, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
Even fiction needs to make sense.

exactly especially historical fiction. This film plays like Inglouriuos Basterds but is trying to be Black Hawk Down.

I was thinking JFK.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"