Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997603 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30140 on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
The Fog of War

This is not only a great film, it is an important one. Dare I say it for fear of sounding hyperbolic, but this may be the greatest documentary ever made and failing that, the most important. This film should be required viewing for all citizens, and certainly anyone in high political office.

I have recently been watching a lot of Herzog, and some Morris, trying to decide who holds the crown as best documentary director. With this film, the answer is obvious. It is riveting, harrowing, sorrowful, and artistic. Morris uses recreations, old footage, the McNamara interview, and audio tapes skillfully interwoven to create a perfect documentary. Yes perfect.

Beyond the historical and political importance, this is simply a great film. It is perfectly paced, an filled with amazing footage. At times it plays like a great political thriller. The Phillip Glass score is subtle and nicely empathizes the drama.

The parallels between the political lead up and continuation of the Vietnam War and The Iraq War are staggering. You could literally overdub McNamara's discussion of the Vietnam War onto footage of The Iraq War and simply change the words Saigon to Baghdad.

This is now my favorite documentary of all time, and one of my favorite films. It will undoubtedly make my next top 100.

Grade: A+

You said it!

This movie is kind of magic. A lucky comination. I don't expect to see anything like it ever again. It has incredible rewatch value too.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30141 on: April 15, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Bishonen (1998, Yonfan)
I think what this needed was maybe two or three good scenes, some real conflict would have been nice too. Eventually it's just to earnest for me to truly dislike but it's no more than mediocre with a few touches of sheer awfulness. I'm not sure why it had to use such a complicated timeline or why Shu Qi was in it. I realize that only Brigitte Lin can lend the hokey narration some credence but the music is just too much.
To my mind, it was basically 100 minutes of this:

Probably not the best Far East film of the 90s.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:46:45 PM by Tequila »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #30142 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:28 PM »
Lol, I'm gunna avoid that one :D

flieger

« Reply #30143 on: April 16, 2010, 05:54:21 AM »

Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)

Oh sh*t.

So this is the film of the decade, right? (I'm pretty sure it is...)

Um...

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #30144 on: April 16, 2010, 06:04:58 AM »
a film that left flieger absolutely speechless - now that is a film worth seeing!

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #30145 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:25 AM »

Oh sh*t.

Um...

Yes, it probably is :). It's all kinds of amazing!
I hope Blissfully Yours and Tropical Malady are next :D? Although, they are ALL good really!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #30146 on: April 16, 2010, 07:11:15 AM »
Did you think I was kidding, flieger? Did you?

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #30147 on: April 16, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »

The Pool (2007, Chris Smith)

Well, here's a new entry in my tentative top 20 (might finish in my top 15) of the 2000s!  Venkatesh is an eighteen year old living in Panjim, Goa.  He has a fascination with a swimming pool, and he often goes to look at it from atop a nearby tree.  The owners of the property arrive, and we see Venkatesh watching them and the pool.  He then thinks of a plan and carries it through on how to get to swim in the pool without doing so as a trespasser.  

From that point on, the details of class divide build as does those of Venkatesh's relationship with the home owner, Nana (Nana Patekar, fantastic), and Nana's daughter, Ayesha (Ayesha Mohan, great and easy on the eyes), who doesn't get along with her father.  Interspersed throughout Venkatesh's trips to the home as gardening help, we see him and his eleven year old friend, Jhangir (Jhangir Badshah, one of the most impressive non-professional acting performances by someone that young I've seen) work their jobs as a hotel worker and restaurant worker, respectively (along with their side job together).

Chris Smith is one of those filmmakers who believe God and the Devil are in the details.  It's a joy to see them accumulate and form a portrait that feels lived-in and organic.  And I love films with relationships (Venkatesh and Jhangir; Venkatesh and Nana) that remind me why life is so much better with them and makes me thankful for my long-lasting, meaningful ones.  This is a touching film about grief and generosity.

Now there is a lot that I'm leaving out, and I'm sure I haven't succeeded in getting anyone excited or interested in seeing this film.  But I will say that there is an action in the penultimate scene that is perhaps my favorite moment of any film of the past decade; thus, one for all time, personally.  (I haven't been feeling much; feeling rather icy lately (e.g., kicking Late Spring out of my Top 100).)  That moment of recognition melted my heart and gave me a good cry, a good sized dose of humanism that I so love to get from film.  People can be so awesome, you know?  F*ckin' character who I shall not name, Chris Smith, cast, crew, and financers, bravo, bravo.

Sadly, this film is not on DVD, but it is available on Netflix Instant.  And in the Spoiler thread for this film, I see that it played on the Sundance Channel not too long ago.  Anyone looking for some warmth, I recommend you spend the time to watch this gem.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:46:37 AM by Still Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

flieger

« Reply #30148 on: April 16, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
Did you think I was kidding, flieger? Did you?

:)

The Pool (2007, Chris Smith)

Sounds genuinely great. Unfortunately, I can't act on your recommendation... no availability for me.  :(

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30149 on: April 16, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »

Oh sh*t.

Um...
Yep, it's great. I need to watch it again.