love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998132 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30390 on: April 21, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »
Been traveling so no movie watching going on until I spent a hot afternoon in La Paz watching How to Train Your Dragon.  Projection was pretty dark, but the flying scenes were still exhilarating.  The story is tried and true (and easy to understand in Spanish) and thereīs a bit of a reveal at the end that was quite touching.  Itīs a pretty rollicking adventure tale that was totally enjoyable, although I probably wonīt remember it very well a few weeks from now.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #30391 on: April 21, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Niels Arden Oplev, 2009)

Seedy goings on in the family of very rich industrialists. 40 years ago Harriet Vanger disappeared and after 40 years of searching her uncle decides on one last attempt to find her body and the identity of the killer. He hires Mikael Blomkvist (played by Michael Nyqvist) an investigative journalist to spend 6 months looking into the mystery. Harriet is not the 'girl with the Dragon Tattoo' that is Lisbeth Salander (played by Noomi Rapace) a disturbed woman who joins Mikael in his search.

This film has a feel of a TV series, and checking IMDB it is unclear if it is a TV series or a film. What was good news is that both the other books by Stieg Larsson have been made into films already. This TV series feel is not a let down as it is the feel of a top quality British or European TV series. Pacing and performances kept me immersed for the entire 2.5 hours.

Why See It? For an excellent dark mystery.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #30392 on: April 21, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
Been traveling so no movie watching going on until I spent a hot afternoon in La Paz watching How to Train Your Dragon.  Projection was pretty dark

I had that problem too, it was quite annoying.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #30393 on: April 21, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
You feel this way because Anderson doesn't make comedies.

Well, no he does, and he has said that he does, but he doesn't make comedies in the way that most people are accustomed to. He doesn't pander, which makes his films funnier and more emotionally satisfying for me.

His movies are (sometimes) funny, but they aren't comedies.

They don't have gags or jokes in any normal sense of the words.

"These are O.R. scrubs"
"Oh, are they?"

That moment is the funniest ever in a Wes Anderson film. It's made especially funny by Bill Murray cracking up.

Not even the funniest moment in Rushmore.

The funniest moment in any Wes Anderson movie is James Caan's confrontation with Futue Man in Bottle Rocket.

I still enjoy Bill Murray randomly blocking a random kid's shot while he's on the phone.

I still say none of those funny moments are jokes or gags in the normal sense of the words and that these movies are not comedies.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #30394 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »

Well, no he does, and he has said that he does, but he doesn't make comedies in the way that most people are accustomed to. He doesn't pander, which makes his films funnier and more emotionally satisfying for me.

"These are O.R. scrubs"
"Oh, are they?"

That moment is the funniest ever in a Wes Anderson film. It's made especially funny by Bill Murray cracking up.

The funniest moment in any Wes Anderson movie is James Caan's confrontation with Futue Man in Bottle Rocket.

I still enjoy Bill Murray randomly blocking a random kid's shot while he's on the phone.

I still say none of those funny moments are jokes or gags in the normal sense of the words and that these movies are not comedies.

Nor are they all that funny.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #30395 on: April 21, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

Le Doulos / Doulos: The Finger Man (1962)

After his lead role in Leon Morin, pretre, Jean-Paul Belmondo returns to star alongside Serge Reggiani as a pair of criminals collaborating on a robbery. This is a straight up hard-boiled crime film, and it is awesome. The first scene is an exciting and perfect introduction to the story, showcasing the beautifully strong noir aesthetic and creating a large amount of intrigue with the characters. The pace keeps things up, delivering many incredible scenes and keeping the story constantly exciting.
You should really pay attention, this is great stuff!

worm@work

• Godfather

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30397 on: April 21, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Finished rewatching the four Disney films I have on VHS. This is going on my top 100 all-time; perhaps bumping The Lion King. This just works for me.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #30398 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
I am! With a great deal of envy too!

Yay! :)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #30399 on: April 21, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »

"These are O.R. scrubs"
"Oh, are they?"

I say you are falling into the trap of genre labeling. I think Anderson's films are comedies, but they are also dramatic, and other things as well.

love