Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997218 times)

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3040 on: December 21, 2007, 09:26:55 PM »
Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
I think I have a new favorite movie of 2007!  This film is one amazing ride!  I'm just going to mumble incoherantly trying to express my adoration for this film, so I'll divide it into categories.
I) The direction, and more spsicifically the art art direction of this film. The bleak and dreary look fits perfectly with this film's tone.  Its creepy, yet somehow welcoming.  I'm not a huge fan of Tim Burton, but his style fits this story so perfectly.  He gives us a trademark opening credit sequence, and some really clever camera shots throughout.
II) The cast is absolutely amazing. I'm not some Johnny Depp follower, in fact I hadn't really liked any of his performances all that much at all.  But here, all his insane quirks fit perfectly in this film.  Helena Bonham Carter steals the show, for me.  She is sadistic and creepy, and yet somehow endearing and humorous.  And of course Alan Rickman is perfect, as always.  Its really a pleasure to see him having so much fun on screen. 
III) The songs really seal the deal for my adoration of this film.  Yes, I realize that Johnny Depp has some major help in the studio for his role, but who cares, the songs in the film are amazing.  There are so many memorable and fun songs in the film, which is the most important part of any musical.  I immidiately went out and bought the soundtrack after the film was over, because the songs work so well. 
In the end, this film was a theare-going experience unlike I'd ever had.  Being energized with great music and fountains of blood is really an amazing experience.
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3041 on: December 21, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
That is awesome about Sweeny Todd. I may be seeing it tomorrow.

Stay Alive.

While watching it I thought to myself that it would make a great Shaun of the Dead style movie, except with video games instead of zombies. Games are ripe for satirical skewering. As is the movie was not so great.

D.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #3042 on: December 22, 2007, 01:57:30 AM »
That is awesome about Sweeny Todd. I may be seeing it tomorrow.

Stay Alive.

While watching it I thought to myself that it would make a great Shaun of the Dead style movie, except with video games instead of zombies. Games are ripe for satirical skewering. As is the movie was not so great.

D.

Junior, what's up with you reading my mind? I literally just finished Stay Alive!  :o It SUCKED.

J5er

• Elite Member
« Reply #3043 on: December 22, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »
Eww, Stay Alive is probably among the 20 worst movie I've ever seen in my life, not one redeeming factor. And I even really liked The Grudge 2 because I thought it was kind of fun...
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3044 on: December 22, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »
Shoot 'Em Up

I hadn't gotten the chance to see this in theaters because I was so busy with work.  And it's a shame.  This must be a blast to watch with a full on crowd.  This film doesn't let up.  2007's Mindhunters (as in a movie that's so ridiculous and over the top it's too much fun to ignore).  I enjoyed this way more than I should have, I feel like a Weightwatcher's member who's just eaten an entire cheesecake, guilty, but I want more!!!

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3045 on: December 22, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
Yeah, that movie was a blast in the theater. I laughed more during that movie than I do during most comedies.

J5er

• Elite Member
« Reply #3046 on: December 22, 2007, 10:33:45 PM »
Across the Universe
So I didn't have anything to do today, and it was playing in the second time around, $1.50 theatre.  So I decided to take a chance, even though most critics, save Roger Ebert, hated it.  The first 30 minutes or so, I was totally with it, a 4-5 star movie. "Come Together," "I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Let it Be," and the other songs in the beginning, were really well staged, I thought.  Then as soon as Prudence locked herself in the closest, and it was a steep decline from there. All the tripped out wacky stuff was horrible, and I couldn't stand it. I like when it when it was semi-grounded in reality with some good music, then it was just so bad.  The final two songs were alright, but not enough to save it.

**1/2 / *****

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3047 on: December 22, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »
Sweeney Todd.

I really liked it. My mom and aunt, not so much. I don't think they knew what they were getting into. The songs were great, the look fantastic, and the performances top-notch. Definitely in my top five.

A.

Die Hard.

John McClane: Nine million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister.

John McClane: No CINECAST!ing CINECAST!, lady. Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

John McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, motherCINECAST!er.

John McClane: [huddled in an air vent, John pulls out his lighter, flicks it on, and recalls his wife's invitation] "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...”

John McClane: Take THIS under advisement, jerkweed!

John McClane: A Nun called me Mr. McClane. My friends call me John, and you're neither dickhead.

A.  ;D
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #3048 on: December 23, 2007, 04:23:52 PM »
Talk to Me -

Don Cheadle is great.  And so are the first 3/4's of the movie.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #3049 on: December 23, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Walk Hard:  The Dewey Cox Story by Jake Kasdan ****/*****:

http://www.epinions.com/content_411827998340

It's very funny.  John C. Reilly is great.  Jenna Fischer, sexy!  Paul Rudd, Jack Black, Justin Long, & Jason Schwartzman as the Beatles are worth the full ticket price.  I just wanted more, especially from what was from the trailer. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

love