Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998439 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30800 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
Pirate Radio

Picture this. You've got the follow-up from the director of Love Actually. It stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Rhys Darby, Nick Frost, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson and Jack Davenport. It is a movie with music at its heart and a soundtrack featuring The Beach Boys, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones among many others. That seems like a confluence of features that couldn't fail.

Apparently scripts matter, and this one just doesn't have an interesting enough plot or funny enough gags to make it very fun. It strikes me as the sort of film where the cast is having a blast, but that doesn't mean the audience is.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #30801 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
I think it would've been a really fun 90 minute film... but the British cut was WAY too long, and even though it was recut for the US, it still sounded like it was too bloated.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #30802 on: May 02, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »
The Imaginarium of Dr. Paranassus

Terry Gilliam is one of the most visually stunning directors around.  His imagination is boundless and he stuffs his films with so much impact on the screen that it is truly a feast for the eyes.  However, it seems to be only about every other movie that he gives us a character or two that has a soul.  Certainly he did in The Fisher King, and to a certain degree in Brazil and Tideland.  But not in Time Bandits, nor in Baron Münchhausen, nor in this film.  I can't blame the actors for the performances-- they did well with what they were given, but they weren't given much.  3/5

Requiem for a Dream

This is easily the best, most accurate and most disturbing movie about addiction ever.  You have sympathy for the characters, they aren't just idiots or weak humans.  They are people who made some poor decisions and then were stuck with the consequences that they couldn't do anything about.  I know these people.  I've lived out a couple of these scenes, including bringing people with dangerous abscesses to the hospital and seeing people force-fed and given forced injections.   It's just like this, people.   
   The editing and the score and the writing really highlight the experience, both of relief and of the growing nightmare.  At times, it's a horror movie. 
   I also appreciate the minimalization of the social commentary.  It just gives the experience of the characters.  And all the actors did a marvelous job, but especially (as has been mentioned by others) Ellen Burstyn. 
   This is a powerhouse film.   I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it again-- I live watching this everyday, I'm not sure I can subject myself to it on purpose.  But it is certainly the best film ever made about addiction.  Watch this and The Wire, and you've got pretty much the whole picture.  5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #30803 on: May 02, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30804 on: May 02, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
I'm sorry but you people are wrong - the wacky hi-jinks of the Deltas is pure comedic gold - grade A.
Hey, nice marmot!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #30805 on: May 02, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
Requiem for a Dream 
5/5

You are correct!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30806 on: May 02, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #30808 on: May 02, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
Hot Fuzz

This is the first film from the 00's I've rewatched since finishing my marathon.

It was #14, but now I see that it's even better than that.  This is the ultimate version of the kind of film I would want to write and/or direct.  If I could choose between saying "I made There Will Be Blood" or "I made Hot Fuzz," I'm picking the Fuzz.

Anyone looking to win my Rebuttal Marathon Contest, use this film's mixture of entertainment and intelligence as a measuring stick.

Hot Fuzz is now in my Top 10 of the 00's, pushing out Kill Bill Vol. 1.

1. City of God
2. Requiem For A Dream
3. United 93
4. The Incredibles
5. Erin Brockovich
6. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
7. Memento
8. Finding Nemo
9. Hot Fuzz
10. Mulholland Drive

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome