love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997711 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30820 on: May 02, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
And it just keeps on rolling. I'd prefer if comments on these were in the marathon thread. (click the quote link)

Anatomy of a Murder

George C. Scott just said "panties." *Snickers*

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #30821 on: May 02, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
What a Girl Wants (2003 Dennie Gordon)

What a Girl Wants? A decent movie, less Brit bashing, better acting, a modicum of original plot, clearly too much to ask. Messages of the film seems to be: being British is miserable; if you are not "wild and wacky" you will be miserable or bitchy or both; that 17 year olds clearly and definitely know what they want. Colin Firth shines like a supernova against a cast of blackholes.

Why See It? Another wonderful performance by Colin Firth

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #30822 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
Plus the whole commentary on consumerist culture, I think, is also underdeveloped and fairly generic. Actually, so is the environmental angle, especially after the fantastic work he does in Mononoke.

Neither of these is what the film is about so I don't know why you would expect them to be particularly developed. Spirited Away is most certainly a film about Chihiro/Sen's development. The other elements are simply shadings.

Whether it's about it or not is irrelevant. If you're going to spend the time putting these obvious themes in a film then at least bother to flesh them out in some meaningful manner. Instead, they feel underdeveloped and simply there to say "Look, this film is about more than a girl's development, it has social relevance too!" Either commit fully or excise them completely, the last thing a director should do is half ass something like that.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #30823 on: May 02, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »

Oh, Christ. How did you get to see this gem? Definitely a contender for worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre. (Yeah, I was going through a Firth thing at the time. I cannot be blamed. In fact, I blame Firth.)

It was weird to see Caroline Bingley being Caroline Bingley again.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #30824 on: May 02, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

Oh, Christ. How did you get to see this gem? Definitely a contender for worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre. (Yeah, I was going through a Firth thing at the time. I cannot be blamed. In fact, I blame Firth.)

It was on TV last Saturday night, started watching it and it is like a train crash, you want to look away, but you can not. The last 30 minutes I watched only to be able to finish the film, perhaps out of some masochistic pleasure. I do wonder what Firth was thinking when he signed up for this one.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #30825 on: May 02, 2010, 07:26:08 PM »

It was on TV last Saturday night, started watching it and it is like a train crash, you want to look away, but you can not. The last 30 minutes I watched only to be able to finish the film, perhaps out of some masochistic pleasure. I do wonder what Firth was thinking when he signed up for this one.

I watched it too when it came out, because of Firth.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #30826 on: May 02, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call - New Orleans (2009) ****

After a long day at work I have returned home to write about The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call – New Orleans, and you know what, taking time in between watching the film and writing about it really captures the intent of the film. Sure, The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call – New Orleans is absurd, but taking some time to think about it and crystallize my thoughts, it isn’t absurd just for the sake of absurdity. It is a cop drama, but it isn’t a typical cop drama, it is a Werner Herzog film, but it isn’t a typical Werner Herzog film, well okay, maybe that last part isn’t true but I’m invoking my artistic license to get away with typing it. The point is that The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call – New Orleans can’t and shouldn’t be taken at face value, it is an inventive film, perhaps the freshest cop drama to come around in years.

Read the rest, here.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #30827 on: May 02, 2010, 07:53:28 PM »
*pokes head in*

Ok so it's been awhile since I've been around these parts.  What'd I miss?

I've been busy with life and so forth, and I let my Oscar marathon get the best of me.  I watched the films but let the reviews pile up.  So I had about 30 movies to write about and I just couldn't seem to enjoy a movie until I had got my thoughts down on those.  So I started.  And after about 10, I accidentally lost the file that contained all my reviews and that got me down.  But a couple weeks ago I decided I missed watching films and I knew I had to go on.  So I hunkered down and wrote the 30 or so, short, and all and all pretty terrible reviews, since it'd been so long since I watched the movies.  Anyway, its good to be back.  No more rambling.  I'll post reviews here over the next few days in batches, and of course on my site.  I can't wait to finish of that Akira Kurosawa marathon.

Kick-Ass[2010]

A movie that was simply awesome.  There are bits and pieces that can be dissected, and I didn't love the ending, but on a whole it was one of the best movie experiences I've had in a long time.  It takes the brilliant concept of a regular teenage superhero and actually follows through on it.  Sure, some of the action scenes and physical abuse taken could never happen in real life.  This isn't meant to be a documentary, but on a whole it roots itself in reality.  It doesn't take itself too seriously, and it doesn't treat the material as a spoof either, its a perfect blend.  From start to finish 'Kickass' was pure entertainment and one of the most fulfilling superhero movies to date.
Rating: 5/5

The Hurt Locker[2009]

Katheryn Bigalow's Oscar winning Iraq war movie that manages to stay away from political overtones and focus on individuals.  This is the interesting part of war, the personal stories of soldiers.  The stories of ordinary men trying to survive in a living hell, and how it effects them.

In a word, this movie is tense.  Bigalow is a master at building tension and executing each bomb defuse sequence as if the entire world depended on its outcome.  One of the faults I did find in the film, was that it was repetitive.  At its core its the same thing over and over again.  The three men have to diffuse a bomb.  And yet it is handled in such a way that it always feels new, and the threat is always real.  The immersion into the war zone is perhaps the most effective aspect of the movie.  Because of this, the characters connect more personally.  When you feel as if you are there with them, their plights are more meaningful. 

This is every bit a character driven film.  Lead by the adrenaline addicted William James, played perfectly by Jeremy Renner, each man in the group has their own distinctive personality.  Each is important to the film and react to the environment in their own ways.  The effect of war on a soldier is perhaps the most important part of the film and it is handled better than in most other war films.  There is a feel of authenticity throughout the film, and the phycological toll that it takes on soldiers is all the more effective because of this.
Rating: 4/5

Invictus[2009]

Invictus is a film that seemed to have so much going for it.  With Clint Eastwood directing, Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon starring, and a story based on one of the most iconic leaders in modern history, it seemed like the movie could not miss.  And yet, it didn't deliver.  Freeman and Damon did fine in their roles, but film suffered by not knowing what kind of movie it wanted to be.  It failed as both a biopic and a sports drama.  It fell short on the inspiration, and thats where it needed to land home.  It ended up leaving a palpable taste of "so what", and is ultimately an inoffensive, but altogether forgettable Eastwood picture.
Rating: 2.5/5

The Blind Side[2009]

Don't believe the hype on this film.  There is not an ounce of originality in this trite melodrama despite it being based on a true story.  It is packed full of corny dialog, contrived situations and irritating characters.  Sandra Bullock was not good in this and it is an insult to all past Oscar winners that she was even nominated.  Her performance was annoying, and I found my self rooting against her in every situation. Simply put this is no more than a Lifetime movie blown way out of proportion.
Rating: 1/5

In the Loop[2009]

A British political satire that is all about the dialog.  The plot is a bit rambling and never really made an impact, but the witty exchanges and wonderful character acting, particularly by Pete Capaldi, make the movie.  In the Loop certainly doesn't shy away from working blue, it is a symphony of profanity that elevates the witty banter.  The movie is wall to wall one liners which certainly make it worth the watch.
Rating: 3.5/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #30828 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »

I love hearing the stock 1970's happy, joyful, uplifting music in the beginning of a movie from the 70's. Porbably my favorite decade for movies. Maybe a ferris type marathon to figure that one out someday.

This was a rewatch for me, last time I saw this movie was probably 15 years ago. Writing for most of the movie seemed predictable and maybe you can see where the movie is heading but in my opinion one of the best final scenes in a movie ever.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #30829 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
Master and Commander

Even watching it with commercial interruptions this film shines.  Easily one of the 10 best films of the decade.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love