love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996621 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31450 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2009)

Second viewing, once again a very fun time. I really think this is one of those stories that becomes more entertaining and interesting on repeat viewings. There's a lot of great setup and callbacks throughout that I missed the first time.

I still felt a little distracted by some of the stylization, and think that some of the silliness goes maybe too far. In that regard I still hold Brick as Rian Johnson's better film, as I think it is more successful at having fun with the genre it is paying homage to while still working perfectly within that genre. Still, I just love this guy. I can't wait for Looper.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31451 on: May 20, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »
The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2009)

Second viewing, once again a very fun time. I really think this is one of those stories that becomes more entertaining and interesting on repeat viewings. There's a lot of great setup and callbacks throughout that I missed the first time.

I still felt a little distracted by some of the stylization, and think that some of the silliness goes maybe too far. In that regard I still hold Brick as Rian Johnson's better film, as I think it is more successful at having fun with the genre it is paying homage to while still working perfectly within that genre. Still, I just love this guy. I can't wait for Looper.

This might be my all-time favorite film, but would probably lose out in the end to Shawshank. I saw Bloom 7 times in the theatres and have probably watched it 3 or 4 on DVD. I adore this movie.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31452 on: May 20, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
Doubt (John Patrick Shanley, 2008)

Amazing performances, terrific writing. A powerful combination. My expectations for the story were somewhat offbase, and I was surprised that the profundity of the themes are given a relatively subtle treatment, relative to the grandiose theatrics of the characters. And honestly it's probably a lot more interesting that way, so good on it.
You're right on all points. This easily could have been a poor melodrama but the subtleties of the storytelling make it a masterful work.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #31453 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »
This might be my all-time favorite film, but would probably lose out in the end to Shawshank. I saw Bloom 7 times in the theatres and have probably watched it 3 or 4 on DVD. I adore this movie.

Daaaang.

I feel like I'm right on the edge of unreservedly loving it. It feels like the kind of movie I'm going to continually get a hankering to watch. So maybe by the time I catch up to as many viewing as you've had I'll have settled my slight issues with it. :)

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31454 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »

Daaaang.

I feel like I'm right on the edge of unreservedly loving it. It feels like the kind of movie I'm going to continually get a hankering to watch. So maybe by the time I catch up to as many viewing as you've had I'll have settled my slight issues with it. :)

Every time I've watched it, I've found something new. It's really the little touches that make it work, I think. Like the constant reference to the Queen of Hearts, I don't know what it means, but it fascinates me.

This will SOUND like bragging, but I wrote an email to the Slashfilmcast talking about how many times I saw the film and how much I loved it. I got a short response from Rian Johnson saying that the email made his day. That, in turn, pretty much made my year. I love that guy, he's so freaking amazing.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #31455 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
This will SOUND like bragging, but I wrote an email to the Slashfilmcast talking about how many times I saw the film and how much I loved it. I got a short response from Rian Johnson saying that the email made his day. That, in turn, pretty much made my year. I love that guy, he's so freaking amazing.

That's really awesome. His appearances on the /filmcast are must-listens for sure.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31456 on: May 20, 2010, 11:17:58 PM »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31457 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
A couple of quick reviews in the Noke/Ferris 'Zaki thread:

The Castle of Cagliostro and Princess Mononoke

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #31458 on: May 20, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »

That's really awesome. His appearances on the /filmcast are must-listens for sure.

I kind of disagree. I love his films and am anticipating Looper, but I think he gets a bit grating sometimes on the /filmcast. I guess his sense of humour just doesn't jive with mine. I'm sorry, but that freaking banjo got on my nerves really fast and he kept playing it on and off until the end of the show.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31459 on: May 20, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »

I kind of disagree. I love his films and am anticipating Looper, but I think he gets a bit grating sometimes on the /filmcast. I guess his sense of humour just doesn't jive with mine. I'm sorry, but that freaking banjo got on my nerves really fast and he kept playing it on and off until the end of the show.

Wow. That banjo was genius. I wish there was more.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad